Cool Down

How would I build a power that had a cool down?

For example, how would you make an EB that doesn't require Extra Time (you can use it at a moment's notice), but when you do use it, you can't use it again for, say five minutes, or whatever.

I don't want Charges, because that's basically a limit per day. I don't want a limit per day, just force a character to take a brake between using the power.

Thanks in advance,

-cK

Originally posted by Aroooo

Use the Extra Time limitation, and define the f/x of the extra time as a cool down time. I've seen plenty of Hero examples in SH and TUV that do this very thing.

Aroooo

That's probably the best option. Here's another, thrown in just to be thorough: use an End Reserve, with enough End for one use, and delayed Rec to match the "cool down" period.

Guest white peregrine

cool down time sounds kinda...well, cool. :)

although, I don't see what would stop the "hero" from using it immediately after should he so choose. if the hero does not let the power "cool down" it starts to "heat" him up. say a slider effect on the endurance usage. X2, X3, X4....

this would allow the "hero" to push himself if needed and doesn't force the player has a little more flexibility in usage as he doesn't "have" to wait for the effect to pass...

just a thought.

Originally posted by white peregrine

although, I don't see what would stop the "hero" from using it immediately after should he so choose. if the hero does not let the power "cool down" it starts to "heat" him up. say a slider effect on the endurance usage. X2, X3, X4....

this would allow the "hero" to push himself if needed and doesn't force the player has a little more flexibility in usage as he doesn't "have" to wait for the effect to pass...

Alright, gamers, how do we do this? Are we going to have to make up a new limitation or lessen the Recoverable Charges Lim, or what?

My .02

I built this idea into Mecha Weapons. It may apply here.

Side Effect: Transform, Body. Working Component into NOn-working Component

Buy the Dice as you like and apply the side effect every time the power is used.

The more the power is used the more the transform goes off. The "Cooling off" is the Transform recovering.

Also you could use the transform to increase the END cost . Add that advantage, Partial Transform, I think. to allow grades of effect.

At one point I even let the pilots buy power def useablwe on their Mecha to reflect Veteran like effeciency of use. The def lessens the effect of the Transform and they could manage the system heat and recovery better than rookies.