Resurrection Healing Limitation

Ressurection is stated to have a reasonably common way to prevent a person from being raised from the dead. However, in the campaign in question, a person can only be raised from the dead once. Would this, alone, be an acceptable common way to prevent the ressurection or should I have an alternative method to be rules correct?

Re: Resurrection Healing Limitation

Meh' date=' the whole "you must have a reasonable way to prevent it" seems like something that should be a campaign limitation, not a built-in rule.[/quote']

I see it as hand in hand with Transform needs to have a way to heal back - Hero doesn't like Absolutes.

I see it as hand in hand with Transform needs to have a way to heal back - Hero doesn't like Absolutes.

And NND's all or nothing defense, and Desol's vulnerability to one SFX, and Uncontrolled's reasonaly common/obvious method of turning the Power off...

But in comic books how many characters have died and came back a number of times. Even form impossable deaths?

Of course there is also that Jean Grey thing that still is beyond belief. Who writes these things? LOL

I like it if you are dead you stay dead. it puts more excitement into the show or game. Though the "Only die once" is a best of both worlds. You get a second chance and then the excitement is still there.

Has anyone ever had a character really die in your game group? My PC nearly died last month from friendly fire! The player that did it was stunned and asked for a re-role. I like deaths so I declined, and after the math barely survived. But my heart was pounding

I have no idea if SS is indenting this for a Champions game, Guyon. It sounds more like a fantasy genre convention to me.

But speaking of the superheroic "I didn't really die" syndrome, I don't think that is at all a form of ressurection. In some cases it might be, such as with Wolverine; he just dies, then heals back. Other characters don't seem to really die. They are just assumed to be dead, or the body is assumed to be that of someone else, so they think the wrong person is dead... mostly there is no body though. It's just OOPS!, he got vaporized, he must be dead! then a few weeks later... NOPE! the energy surge caused an unforseen reaction in the metals of the guy's armor, which temporarily mutated his powers and sent him forward in time, where he researched the fall of mankind then built a time machine to go back and make sure it all happens...

Or something like that.

Has anyone ever had a character really die in your game group? My PC nearly died last month from friendly fire! The player that did it was stunned and asked for a re-role. I like deaths so I declined' date=' and after the math barely survived. But my heart was pounding[/quote']

Hell yes we've had deaths. Tons, actually. Sometimes, in some campaigns, they can be brought back. I'd say about half the campaigns gave a way back, and the other half... time to write up a new character.

-Nate

To clarify, this is for a fantasy genre.

Basically, raising the dead is a rare occurance but does happen. The idea behind it is that when someone comes back from the dead, they essentually gain Physical Limitation: Has Been Raised from the Dead (0 pts). The advantage is that they are no longer considered Human Class Mind. The drawback is that nothing can save them if they die again.

I just am not sure for spell building, whether or not the "can only be raised once" counts towards the requirements of the Ressurection Adder.

I just am not sure for spell building, whether or not the "can only be raised once" counts towards the requirements of the Ressurection Adder.

As I said before, if I was the GM, it would work for me. There's probably a number of other, increadibly rare, methods of preventing a ressurection as well, and these will make themselves apperant as you play, depending on the SFX of the Healing. There might be spells that destroy/capture the soul or whatever it is that allows ressurection to happen. Perhaps destroying the body completely would work.

@ Dust Raven - Good call I missed it was a fantasy campaign.

Well in fantasy it seem that back to life is more commonly accepted due to the D&D just messing up everything. LOL

Though I would give the customary lower Constitution when brought back to life, sine it puts stress on the body.

@ Dust Raven - Good call I missed it was a fantasy campaign.

Well in fantasy it seem that back to life is more commonly accepted due to the D&D just messing up everything. LOL

Though I would give the customary lower Constitution when brought back to life, sine it puts stress on the body.

A good idea but not for this campaign setting. :)

Given this will be a standard limitation for all resurrection spells, I'd call it common enough to count. Most of us would consider the requirements to prevent a Vampire resurrection to be an acceptable limitation, but no one would likely take such extreme steps were it not for the common knowledge of vampire folklore. This limitation will likely also be common knowledge, at least among those passing familiar with Resurrection.

BTW, it's not just D&D that has some very liberal resurrection possibilities. Read Steven Brust's series on Vlad Taltos. Many wizards can raise the dead, and it's quite common. There are, however, special weapons which destroy the soul as well as the body and prevent the character being raised.

I think it depends entirely on the SFX of the Resurrection.

Resurrection as in the book is primarily a rapid type healing kind of thing that just doesn't stop just because you are dead. It's all an inborn kind of thing. I'd be clear to the players about the SFX of this kind of construct also. Your spirit cannot handle more than one trip back from Hell? Everybody gets one deity "do-over?" Just make it clear HOW it works.

If you character doesn't have some kind of healing ju-ju then Resurrection isn't really the right power.

If you are intending this as a "Priesty Guy Can Only Raise You From the Dead Once" kind of thing, then that is just campaign flavour and the characters shouldn't pay points for it, nor should they receive points for it (eg Disad).

That sounds fair to me. Don't want your victim coming back to life? Kill him' date=' ressurect him yourself, then kill him again.[/quote']

To prevent this abuse, I would use the same rules as D&D does, in that if a character doesn't want to be raised/ressurected, he wouldn't be able to be raised. Now, I would also make it possible that if he wanted to be raised later, in another situation, that the previous denial wouldn't stop it.

To prevent this abuse' date=' I would use the same rules as D&D does, in that if a character doesn't want to be raised/ressurected, he wouldn't be able to be raised. Now, I would also make it possible that if he wanted to be raised [i']later[/i], in another situation, that the previous denial wouldn't stop it.

While I like that idea, it makes the "only once" less of a reasonable circumstance for not being ressurected.

While I like that idea' date=' it makes the "only once" less of a reasonable circumstance for not being ressurected.[/quote']

Except that on the "denial", the person wasn't really ressurrected.

Perhaps the reasonable circumstance would be "only once and willing to be ressurrected".