Speed!

VR Dragon

Trying to understand afew things about Hero Sytem I come to movement, Inches and stuff and my brain has a blow out! :Boom!: :idjit:

How do I convert are person's movement into more easily understood speeds?

Such as MPH or even KPH, Meters per second (I love physics :celebrate ) I'm abit confused on this matter. I look at speeder guys and such and wonder Hmm, how fast is that flight speed or running speed or swimming speed?

Also how does Mega Scale effect movement speed? I mean 1 inch MS (1 inch = 10 miles? :confused: )

Some help me? :(:weep:

Re: Speed!

For distance, remember that 1 hex (inch) = 2 Meters.

Take the total inches of movement and multiply by the SPD score to get the total hexes covered in a 12 second turn. So if I have SPD 6 and bought 20" of Flight, I can fly 6X20 = 120"/turn,

= 240 METERS/turn

There are five turns in a minute, or 300 turns in an hour. So that speed translates to 72000 meters/hr, or 72 KPH

That's COMBAT speed. As a default, noncombat speed (just running full out, no dodging or firing or anything) is twice that. If I buy an adder to increase noncombat speed, it goes up from there. You like physics? This is almost as complicated.

Okay, no, it's not really that complicated. The hardest part is remembering to take the Full Move (how far you can go in one of your phases) and multiply by SPD to get the total number of hexes moved in one turn. That means two people with 17" of running may NOT have identical groundspeeds if one has a higher SPD score!

With Megascale, it depends on the level of megascale chosen. I think the base level is 1 hex = 1 km. So if I have 20" of Flight, MEGASCALE, and a SPD of 6, I cover 120 KILOMETERS per turn - 36,000 KPH. You might want to consider rules for sonic booms....

I can buy still higher levels of Megascale of course, but at that point I'm probably flying from planet to planet.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that a normal person in Hero moves at 2 meters/sec.

If I had 6" of movement and a 3 SPD, I'd be running 18"/turn. Non-combat you can double that to 36"/turn. So that's 72 meters in 12 Second. 360 meters/minute. Less than 3 minutes to run a kilometer.

(Of course I'm really more a 4" movment, 2 SPD guy. And about 10pts of END.)

Also how does Mega Scale effect movement speed? I mean 1 inch MS (1 inch = 10 miles? :confused: )

I'll tackle this one...

1" is Game Speak for 2 meters. it also means 1 Hex on a hex map if you use them.

Megascale changes that conversion. In your exmaple of 1" = 10 miles:

For every 1" (Game Speak Inch) the character moves 10 Real Miles forward.

Or, every hex a character wants to move - they actually move 10 miles instead.

wooosh.

Here, try this:

[ATTACH]18356[/ATTACH]

It's an Excel spread sheet that will do most of the work for you.

There's also a nice little spreadsheet on this page in the "Free Stuff" section of the website, under "Utilities." It calculates velocity based on a character's SPD, base movement, NCM and MegaScale, for several movement types simultaneously.

There's also a nice little spreadsheet on this page in the "Free Stuff" section of the website' date=' under "Utilities." It calculates velocity based on a character's SPD, base movement, NCM and MegaScale, for several movement types simultaneously.[/quote']

That reminds me.. I took that basic spreadsheet and expanded it a bit:

Hero Movement Spreadsheet - contains all forms of movement plus slots for Megscaled Movement. In km, so if the MS is in another unit (miles, light years) it will need to be converted. Gives the end result in MPH.