Are These Weapons?

Or just a fancy HTH attack?

What I've got is a psychokinetic who uses telekinetic swords to fight with. He has the martial art Kenjutsu. The power is bought like this: Psychokinetic Sword: HKA 2d6 Restrainable (-1/2).

Normally, this would be any concern for me, but the f-ed up adding damage rules work differently for armed and unarmed attacks when considering Extra DCs bought for a Martial Art.

Or maybe I can make this really simple. Here's what I want him to be able to do: 4d6K with his PK Sword and have a 20 STR. Then I need to make a more experienced version of the same charcter that does 5d6k and 3d6+1k Armor Piercing (two slots in a Multipower) and have a 20 STR. For both versions of the character, he's using the Kenjutsu maneuvers Sacrifice Stroke or Slashing Stroke (Sacrifice Strike and Offensive Strike). And then I need to know how much damage he does with Lightning Stroke (Fast Strike) for both versions.

I hate the Adding Damage rules.:doi:

Re: Are These Weapons?

I don't understand the rationale for the M. Arts damage adding rules really, so I ignore them. In my campaigns, every 2 DC that M. Arts adds to a Killing Attack just adds 5 Active Points to the attack, rounded down. So if he is using his Offfensive Strike (+4 DC) then he boosts his 4d6 KA to 4½d6 and his 2½d6 AP KA becomes 3d6 AP. Despite what the rulebook says, this strikes me as more balanced, and when you have a character with a lot of different attack powers useable with M. Arts it makes it easier to deal with IMHO.

"Some people spread joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

It's an armed attack IMO.

Base damage is 2d6 killing (6 DC's). 20 STR will allow you to add 4 DC's, making it a total of 3d6+1.

Lightning Stroke would give him 4d6 Killing (12 DC's total). Sacrifice Stroke or Slashing Stroke would bump him up to 4 1/2d6 killing (14 DCs).

For the more experinced version you have two options:

Add on +3 Kenjutsu Damage Classes OR increase the base damage to 3d6. Both ways, end result will be a lightning stroke of 5d6. Or did you mean 5d6 for base damage?

As for the armor piercing attack, a 3d6 HKA with AP will do 3 1/2d6 any time your character uses 15 STR or more. If you wanted exactly 3d6+1, you could either use only 10pts of STR with it or you could buy it as 3d6+1 with the STR does not add limitation. Martial Arts DC's will increase that though.

You can see my frustration.

It looks like I just buy what I have, no extra DCs for the first version. Turns out that the maneuver damage is halved first, so the Lightning Stroke adds 1 DC and the Sacrifice and Slashing Strokes add 2. That gives me a Lightning Stroke of 4d6-1 and a Sacrifice/Slashing Stroke of 4d6. I'm happy with that.

So all I need help with is the upgraded version.... Mad Slasher v2. Same powers, only more oomph. At the moment, I'm not picky of that oomph comes from greater skill with blades (extra DCs) or greater power with his psychokiness (bigger HKA). All I want to end up with is a 5d6K attack that uses his Sacrifice/Slashing Stroke, and a 3d6+1K AP attack that uses the same. And unless it's obvious then I'll need to know what the damage for his Lightning Stroke would be for each attack.

I do not run into these kind of problems since I started using Multipowers for all my Martial Arts needs. What is Fast Strike anyway? Basic Strike + some OCL's? Create a compound power with KA - HTH and Combat Skill Levels. You can put whatever Advantages you want on the KA and calculate costs normally.

So what is the SFX of the Armor Piercing version of the attack?

If it's TK based then a Multipower is the way to go.

If it's MA/Skill based you might consider Find Weakness (with just 1 attack) with a Limitation on combining STR and/or MA damage to the attack's base damage.

So what is the SFX of the Armor Piercing version of the attack?

If it's TK based then a Multipower is the way to go.

If it's MA/Skill based you might consider Find Weakness (with just 1 attack) with a Limitation on combining STR and/or MA damage to the attack's base damage.

Well, yeah, Multipower. Duh. :D:rolleyes:

As for SFX, the character has 3 different Psychokinetic swords, or rather 3 general "shapes" his sword can take. the first is rather blunt and is built as a Hand Attack (which is easier to figure out fortunately, but less important). The second is a "sharp edge" sword, which is the regular KA. The third is a "tightly focused, super-thin blade" that penetrates armor easily.

Okay, here's what I got. Let me know if I'm adding the damage correctly here:

Current Version:

STR 20

Martial Arts (Blades Weapon Element)

Lightning Stroke +2 +0 Weapon +2 DC

Slashing Stroke -2 +1 Weapon +4 DC

PK Sword (blunt): HA +2d6, 0 END, HA [8d6 w/Lighting Stroke, 10d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Sword (sharp): HKA 2d6 [4d6-1 w/Lightning Stroke; 4d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

Future Version:

STR 22

PK Sword (blunt): HA +4d6, 0 END, HA [10d6 w/Lighting Stroke, 12d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Sword (sharp): HKA 3d6 [5d6-1 w/Lightning Stroke; 5d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Focused Sword: HKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), AP (+1/2) [3d6 w/Lightning Stroke; 3d6+1 w/Slashing Stroke]

Well, yeah, Multipower. Duh. :D:rolleyes:

As for SFX, the character has 3 different Psychokinetic swords, or rather 3 general "shapes" his sword can take. the first is rather blunt and is built as a Hand Attack (which is easier to figure out fortunately, but less important). The second is a "sharp edge" sword, which is the regular KA. The third is a "tightly focused, super-thin blade" that penetrates armor easily.

Then the next question is whether this is a heroic or super-heroic campaign?

If it's heroic the normal 2d6 HKA is going to max out at 4d6 no matter what STR or MA maneuvers are used (except for movement based attacks). the 1d6+1 AP HKA will max out at 2.5d6(or 3d6-1).

If it's super-heroic then as previously stated you can get the normal 2d6k up to 3d6+1 w/STR 20 (5 STR/ +1 DC) plus MA bonus DC/2. The 1d6+1 AP will only go up to 2d6 AP w/STR 20 (7.5 STR/ +1 DC) before adding MA bonus DC/2.

Okay, here's what I got. Let me know if I'm adding the damage correctly here:

Current Version:

STR 20

PK Sword (blunt): HA +2d6, 0 END, HA [8d6 w/Lighting Stroke, 10d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Sword (sharp): HKA 2d6 [4d6-1 w/Lightning Stroke; 4d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

Future Version:

STR 22

PK Sword (blunt): HA +4d6, 0 END, HA [10d6 w/Lighting Stroke, 12d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Sword (sharp): HKA 3d6 [5d6-1 w/Lightning Stroke; 5d6 w/Slashing Stroke]

PK Focused Sword: HKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), AP (+1/2) [3d6 w/Lightning Stroke; 3d6+1 w/Slashing Stroke]

Assuming it's built for supers :thumbup:.