PRE Attacks with Super-heroes

bryanb

Hi There,

I was just wondering how GM's out there handle presence attacks against their super-heroes...is it just me or is rather "unheroic" for a character to be humbled this way?

If the PRE attack is successful do you just "take control" of that character until its effect wears off?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Re: PRE Attacks with Super-heroes

Originally posted by bryanb

Hi There,

I was just wondering how GM's out there handle presence attacks against their super-heroes...is it just me or is rather "unheroic" for a character to be humbled this way?

If the PRE attack is successful do you just "take control" of that character until its effect wears off?

Thanks for your help/advice.

we have a house rule that PRE skills and PRE attacks cannot "control" the actions and reactions of PCs, but that players can determine how affected their characters are.

I would still allow the combat effects of PRE attacks to affect PCs, though--but give them a "breakout roll" to shake off the effects of +20 and +30 level attacks.

We seldom use PRE attacks in my campaign. When it is used, it's unusual enough to be noteworthy. In general I feel most superheroes see so many amazing things it's pretty hard to awe them. I'm more likely to allow supers to use PRE attacks to run off agents or normals than to paralyse super opponents.

Even Thor was awestruck by the Celestials.

It's all in the way you play it out. Personally I love the fact that the HERO system has a way to represent a character that is capable of illiciting response like this.

Let's look at why characters have a high PRE stat...some are hideous, some are gorgeous, some are fearless. Make sure to play these aspects up when encountering a character with super-human PRE (20+). This is your job as the GM...to craft a setting for the players to react in. If you don't do your job of setting this character up as a real terror/knockout, how do you expect the players to understand why their characters are behaving in ways other than what they say they should. Here are a couple of examples...

Ex 1)

GM: "Mechanon comes around the corner, says he's gonna crush you all and (GM Rolls Dice) you all lose a full PHA while Mechanon hits your team with an Area Effect Energy Blast. This is gonna hurt!"

Players (in unison): "What the #$%@#!!!!!"

==========

Ex 2)

GM: "As you enter the dimly lit factory, the hum of the automated machinery you expected does not fill your ears. As you move into the main production floor of the factory, there you see the source of the recent trouble in Millenium City, Mechanon the robotic destroyer of all organic life. His robotic eyes glow brightly in the dim light and you hear the rhythmic tapping of a hundred mechanical limbs as spider-like automatons creep out of the idle machinery around you, all at once you realize you are surrounded as the synthesized voice of your target hums to life above the tapping, "You imperfect organics have troubled me for the last time. Destroy them!"

GM gives Mech +3d6 and uses Standard Effect Rule for a result of 33, costing most characters a full PHA action. (much quicker this way)

GM continues: "Your characters are all pretty taken aback by what they've stumbled into and the spider-bots are on you as your characters come to grips with what they've gotten themselves into. You guys will lose PHA 12, but still get your Post-12 Recovery."

Players: "Aw man, how're we gonna get out of this one?"

My players seldom grumble or feel less than heroic if they lose an action to a PRE attack. In fact, many of them have learned the value of a high PRE and launch their own attacks whenever they can. Remember most criminals are a cowardly lot.

I hope this helps.

levi, that is an excellent example of how a presence attack should be described by a GM! I'll admit, I've run some of those "The villain blasts you with his most powerful attack. Presence attack time!" Then again, I've also run the indepth description of the attack and inevitably, the players enjoy the added color. Of course they do! They're having to run their characters in a campaign scenario in their heads and anything that helps them imagine it only adds to the fun.

I allow Presence Attacks to be done by anyone. Once in awhile, the players allow their characters to be impressed even though a Presence Attack was not specifically made.

example:

GM: The taxicab swerves to avoid the fiery blast and in so doing, hits the curb and flips upside down, crashing into the store. The driver gets out, uninjured.

Players 1: Megaman is really impressed. "Now, THAT's a tough cab driver!"

Player 2: (hurries to check on driver since Megaman is impressed.)

I do, however, disallow any presence attacks which simply aren't. I've had more than one player ask "Can I do a presence attack?" and I shake my head, saying, "No, you can't. You just got roasted by that attack." or something along those lines. I'd allow it in the case an attack which the PC's know is deadly and a PC survives it only to unleash an equally nasty attack back on the attacker (rolls very well). This has happened more than once. In these rare cases, except for the 2 combatants, mostly everyone else just backs off.... um, I lost my train of thought. Anyways, I allow presence attacks - it adds flavor.

Of course PRE attacks should be permitted; the question is (usually) when. I personally prefer several points during a combat:

• At the beginning, more-or-less as your Phase 12 action, usually to cow the opposition's goons. "Surrender now, miscreants, for it is Major Payne you face!"
  • When the PC or villan has just blown off one of the opposition's major attacks, especially a 'signature' attack. "Leapin' Lizards, DestructoMan, he took your Earthbreaker punch and didn't even flinch!!"
  • When the PC/V has taken major damage, but climbs right back to their feet and is still comin' on. "Oh my god. You blew a hole right through him, and he's still coming !! I'm gettin' out of here, man!"
  • When it's critically necessary to rally the troops. "Stand firm, soldiers! We are the only defense between the Bezerkers ... and our families!"

There are also great points to use Presence attacks outside of combat; basically, whenever you want (or need) to wow a person or a crowd. Batman standing in the doorway of the biker bar, ready to kick ass in order to get the information he needs is one example; oddly enough, Superman (dying of an energy drain) barely able to make it through the same door, asking for help from the same bikers is another one. Captain America might not be able to fight the fire, but he CAN make a Presence Attack on the panicky theatre crowd in order to get them to stay calm and proceed out in an orderly fashion. That sort of thing isn't Oratory; it's a PRE attack, with lovely extra dice for the Reputation.

You know, I'm really going to love that Perk...

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

Of course PRE attacks should be permitted; the question is (usually) when. I personally prefer several points during a combat:

• At the beginning, more-or-less as your Phase 12 action, usually to cow the opposition's goons. "Surrender now, miscreants, for it is Major Payne you face!"
  • When the PC or villan has just blown off one of the opposition's major attacks, especially a 'signature' attack. "Leapin' Lizards, DestructoMan, he took your Earthbreaker punch and didn't even flinch!!"
  • When the PC/V has taken major damage, but climbs right back to their feet and is still comin' on. "Oh my god. You blew a hole right through him, and he's still coming !! I'm gettin' out of here, man!"
  • When it's critically necessary to rally the troops. "Stand firm, soldiers! We are the only defense between the Bezerkers ... and our families!"

There are also great points to use Presence attacks outside of combat; basically, whenever you want (or need) to wow a person or a crowd. Batman standing in the doorway of the biker bar, ready to kick ass in order to get the information he needs is one example; oddly enough, Superman (dying of an energy drain) barely able to make it through the same door, asking for help from the same bikers is another one. Captain America might not be able to fight the fire, but he CAN make a Presence Attack on the panicky theatre crowd in order to get them to stay calm and proceed out in an orderly fashion. That sort of thing isn't Oratory; it's a PRE attack, with lovely extra dice for the Reputation.

You know, I'm really going to love that Perk...

Yeah, Major Payne should have a very effective presence attack. Anyone who begs his commander to let him stay in the military because, "There's got to be somebody out there who needs some killin" is a fearesome foe indeed. What is his bonus if he dances the robot when he threatens the bad guys? :)