Genetic Analysis Laboratory

Lysando

Hello all,

I'm building a Genetics Analysis Laboratory to be installed in a spaceship. It will be used to sequence DNA, analyze it and return statistics, and compare it to a database of known sequences.

This is what I'm thinking:

Genetics Analysis Laboratory: Detect Genetic Information A Class Of Things 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic (x100,000)

What do you think? This seems rather broad, and I'm somewhat new to the system.

Thank you!!

ntb

Re: Genetic Analysis Laboratory

Well, you have two ways to do this that I see:

One is to just build Microscopic vision to the level you need. That lets you see DNA strands, and anything else at that level of detail if you want to, too. Then you buy a skill, Analyze: DNA and/or Science: Genetics, or both.

Or you can buy Detect DNA, Analyze, Discriminatory...and I'd talk with whoever is running the game about whether you actually need to put Microscopic on it at all. Microscopic is good for detecting smaller amounts of "stuff" than you would ordinarily be able to - things too small to be normally seen, sounds to quiet to be normally heard, that sort of thing. I could see arguing that a Detect DNA sense would assume that the "normal" level that can be detected is only a few cells anyway, by "default" and so no need to buy Microscopic. Any more than you need Microscopic on Detect Radiation, because the particles that make up the radiation are subatomic.

But personally, I'd go with the first build; for one thing, it means that a scientist with other skills can use the microscope to identify pathogens or something.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that the hard thing with Lucius is to get him to NOT offer an opinion.

Or build a lab as for a base, +2 or whatever for genetic related skills.

(Is genetics covered by Biology (or Biochemistry?) or is it a seperate field now? I assume that doing a basic genetic analysis is something any biologist could do, even if it's typical to have a specially technician do most of the work.)

Unless I'm mistaken, most genetics labs don't use electron microscopes to analyze DNA.

They typically put the genetic material into a solution that allows it to replicate many copies of itself add a dye and put the samples into a magnetic field that causes the genes to arrange themselves according to their differing electromagnetic properties.

Or something like that. On a starship, things might be different.

DNA Sequencing and Analyzation Machine:

Computer (stats as you see fit)

powers

Detect; Genetic Code/Sequence (Class Of Things), Discriminiatory, Analyze, Sense

Skills

KS: Genetic Codes/Sequences (database) 21-

Talents

Programs: Analyze Genetic Code/Sequence; Compare Genetic Code, display results.

Slap the Computer into: AOF, Immobile (Lab/Gene Sequencer Machine); Or simply OAF if you have a portable version.

And you're off for a Sci-Fi lab on a spaceship that has a machine that analyzes somethings DNA, compares it to known DNA Sequences and tells you the result. You can tack on things like Extra Time on the Detect to simulate it needing to take some time to look at the DNA. And the KS can also take extra time to get better results (bonus for moving the skill check down the time chart).

However you build the Sense used to perceive the genetic material is up to you and your GM. What you've got works. Might be a bit overboard for some, not enough for others, but if it works for you game then cool. In some cases, you might not even need to build/buy the Sense at all, just implementing the requisite Skill for the Lab (as per the rules for Bases and Vehicles) and assume that all necessary equipment is available in that Lab. Afterall, you're not gonna pay points for every microscope and petri dish are you?

I would recomend a Computer with the necessary Skills to perform this kind of analysis though, regardless of what Sense build you use (whether or not use even use one). This could help simulate the automatic function of the analysis, making the process user friendly and not requiring a technician to perform the work (though you might still need one to explain the analysis to anyone lacking a background in genetics).