Returning weapons?

Re: Thread Hijack

What if I wanted to build this as an Autofire' date=' two attacks, second attack aims at the user? In other words, whoever throws the boomerang will see it miss or hit, but then it will continue on an intercept course for [i']them[/i] . . . :nonp:

Anyway, if I were wanting to put together something like this, could I cover the "catching" portion with just Disarm and some creative Combat Special Effects, or would I need to use a custom Advantage for Missile Deflection to state that the projectile didn't go anywhere on a successful roll?

The first starts to get tricky... Autofire, with some more CSLs to bounce and a nice GM may allow you to bounce it around to multiple targets. Or an Area of Effect Attack so it "bounces" around multiple targets then back to you. Spreading the attack could also achieve the effect.

To 'catch' the projectile you would need Missile Deflection, I don't know of another way off the top of my head to intercept a Ranged Attack. Others might however.

Re: Returning weapons?

A gun is an example of a focus.

When you shoot a gun, it is still in your hand.

You don't need to buy "levels to bounce" or a "power skill" or anything else. Buy the attack power, put a focus limit on it, call it a gun, fire it, and it's still in your hand.

In the case of a sheild you can throw: buy the attack power, put the focus limit on it, throw it, and it ends up in your hand. Technically it left your hand, but unless you put ANOTHER limitation on it BESIDES just making it a focus, you don't have to do anything special to make it come back any more than you need to do anything special to make a gun not disappear when you fire it.

Have you talked about this to whoever is going to be running the game?

Lucius Alexander

Defining the palindromedary as a special effect

When you shoot a gun, it is still in your hand.

You don't need to buy "levels to bounce" or a "power skill" or anything else. Buy the attack power, put a focus limit on it, call it a gun, fire it, and it's still in your hand.

In the case of a sheild you can throw: buy the attack power, put the focus limit on it, throw it, and it ends up in your hand. Technically it left your hand, but unless you put ANOTHER limitation on it BESIDES just making it a focus, you don't have to do anything special to make it come back any more than you need to do anything special to make a gun not disappear when you fire it.

I think such a limitation would be highly appropriate, since, if you have a gun, deflecting or catching the bullets does not (conceptually) disarm you; but, if you have an axe, and you throw it at me, and I catch it, you no longer have that axe. Using a "Focus is accessible to deflect/disarm when attacking" Limitation would be simpler than separately statting out the bullets from the gun.

(Though, if you're already doing that . . . )

Re: Ok, I have decided...

I have decided that it will be a shield to be used for blocking and also for throwing like Cap's. So I do not want to build it as a EB or RKA.

Why not? You can build it as both - when you give your character a couple of non-Focus powers such as Flight and Drain, are you using the Drain every time you use the Flight, or vice versa? Of course not (unless you buy them Linked) - those powers are a part of your character, not of each other, and the mechanics are very different. You can easily and clearly identify when each power is being used, even though it's you using them in both cases. It's no different with a Focus; you can give your shield two different powers, without using a Multipower, and avoid having to deal with "Instant" or Triggered switching times between the slots. You simply announce which power you are using, when you use it.

Give the shield an EB/RKA attack, and a Missile Deflection/Reflection power. Unless this is forbidden by the rules? :confused:

I would model a throwing axe as a RKA with the 1 Recoverable Charge limitation, it recovers when you go pick it up. If the axe always mystically returned, I'd simply drop the RC limitation. OAF also fits nicely but you may not want that for your character.

The first starts to get tricky... Autofire' date=' with some more CSLs to bounce and a nice GM may allow you to bounce it around to multiple targets.[/quote']

I think I've got another way to create the effect, and more fitting to the evil concept: take the axe as a Follower, one that likes to be used in combat by the PC, and is usually content to just rest at their side. After being thrown, if it is left where it was, it flies through the air to make its own attack roll on the PC, in revenge for having been abandoned. Call that "if one round passes without being caught and thrown by anyone else", as a Triggered effect only. Except, the axe also has a vindictive streak a mile wide, and - if it doesn't like the PC's choices of whom to kill and why - may turn on the PC before then, to seek out a more suitable wielder . . .

I think I've got another way to create the effect' date=' and more fitting to the evil concept: take the axe as a Follower, one that likes to be used in combat by the PC, and is usually content to just rest at their side. After being thrown, if it is left where it was, it flies through the air to make its own attack roll on the PC, in revenge for having been abandoned. Call that "if one round passes without being caught and thrown by anyone else", as a Triggered effect only. Except, the axe also has a [i']vindictive[/i] streak a mile wide, and - if it doesn't like the PC's choices of whom to kill and why - may turn on the PC before then, to seek out a more suitable wielder . . .

That sounds more like a Side Effect to me... but Follower works.

• 6 months later...

If you want it to do damage you will need an Attack Power...

may I suggest:

40 The Shield: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

4u) Blocking: Armor (16 PD/16 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

4u) Thrown: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Total Cost: 48pts

3 +1 Combat Skill Level: With The Shield

The CSL can be used to Bounce the Attack back, or in a pinch add an OCV point.

I'd go with an EC, personally. Let you use that armor and the attack on the same phase.

Hrm...

Couple of things:

1. I like this:

Shield MP slot: 10/10 force wall (add appropriate limtiations)

- which lets you bounce all kinda stuff unless the shield gets knocked aside. OK you can do that with block too but this workd for ranged and melee. Anyway, I like it.

As for 'returning', well as has ben pointed out weapons DO return unless they are built not to - they are always ready next go.

Here's an option:

10d6 EB (thrown shield) 50 points

1 recoverable charge (-1 1/4) SAVES YOU (50-22)=28 points.

However most of the time it is not a recoverable charge, it is just a weapon ready next go, so it is only a recoverable charge on an 8-, which is a -2 limitation - but as it is limiting the limitation it reduces the point saving: 28 points at -2 limitation = 9 points, so you only actually pay 50-9=41 points for a shield that returns to your hand except on a 8- in which case you have to go and get it.

Gets a little more complex with other advantages and limtiations but we can work it out for you if you get stuck.

I'd go with an EC' date=' personally. Let you use that armor and the attack on the same phase.[/quote']

If you did that I'd want you to buy the armour with an activation roll on the phases you attack with the shield so that it simulates someone being able to attack when the shield is in flight. Maybe even a RSR (Dex roll?), come to think on it....

If you did that I'd want you to buy the armour with an activation roll on the phases you attack with the shield so that it simulates someone being able to attack when the shield is in flight. Maybe even a RSR (Dex roll?)' date=' come to think on it....[/quote']

Depends on how realistic you want to get, I suppose. RSR seems to be the best option for simulating blocking with the shield.

I think it's well possible, given the hour and my schedule the past two days, that I may have missed some important part of this thread,

so let me qualify what I've got to offer:

The "weapon returns" issue has been handled, and currently under discussion is using a thrown weapon as a defense.

With that goal in mind,

would it not be simple to have two slots in a Multi-power?

Slot 1: thrown weapon build

Slot 2: defense build.

You can use one or the other, but not both kind of thing.

Defense could be anything from Force Wall to armor to Missile Deflection to additional levels of DCV.

barring the multipower, build the defense with a simple Limitation: must have weapon in hand.

Again, I may well be missing something critical, or even missing this very suggestion. My apologies if that's the case.

Guest TheUnknown

A weapon that returns to your hand is merely the SFX of a basic attack power.

If you can always get that weapon that nothing needs to be done; Energy Blast XD6 and you can "fire" every phase as the weapon is always available. The fact that it's a spinning boomerang is merely special effects.

Now, if the weapon can be take away, destroyed or otherwise removed from your possesion for any appreciable period of time you have a few basic options to represent this Limitation:

1) Focus, Skill Levels Only To Bounce Weapon Back.

2) Physical Manifestation (the weapon has some componant that can be attack, but otherwise acts like a standard attack power).

3) Restrainable (it can be removed in some fashion, or easily prevent you from using it such as binding your arms or shooting it out of your hand).

I agree Its just sfx of the attack whether its a focus or not!