Is this possible??

RPMiller

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a power that gives you extra phases with an activation roll?

I'm thinking of a potion, sword, item that will grant an extra attack on a roll of 11 or less or some such.

What do you all think? Any ideas? Is it possible in the rules framework?

Sure, buy extra SPD and give it the limitation you want (Activation 11- for the second example). Be warned that SPD can only change "between turns" so to speak.

There is no "extra attack" concept in HERO -- you need extra phases, or the Autofire advantage.

A power like this should only be possible in a Power Framework if it costs END.

Finally, it's not usually a good idea to cross-post. That just difuses the answers you'll get.

Well, to some extent this will depend on what you mean by "extra Phases." It's certainly possible to buy extra SPD with an Activation Roll and any other Limitations you want, but then you get into the mechanics of changing SPD every time the Activation Roll is made or fails, which can get messy (see "Changing Speed" on pp. 232-33 of FREd).

If I were looking at that effect as a GM, since changing SPD normally occurs as a post-segment 12 action, I would roll for Activation at that time. If the character makes the roll at that time he acts the rest of that Turn at the higher SPD, if he fails he acts at his normal SPD.

Now, if you want to simply add a Phase to your actions whenever in the Turn you wish, I can't think of a way to do that offhand. Please feel free to post further questions, though, if you need to fine-tune. :)

Originally posted by TheEmerged

There is no "extra attack" concept in HERO -- you need extra phases, or the Autofire advantage.

If all you would want is to make more Attacks than usual, that would be a good way to do it: buy a two-shot Autofire advantage, either directly on the attack Power if that's all it applies to, or with GM permission as a Naked Advantage for all the applicable attacks. A Naked Advantage would let you tailor the Limitations you want separate from those on the main attack itself.

Re: Is this possible??

Originally posted by Durnin

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a power that gives you extra phases with an activation roll?

I'm thinking of a potion, sword, item that will grant an extra attack on a roll of 11 or less or some such.

What do you all think? Any ideas? Is it possible in the rules framework?

Check out the write up for Grond(?), the four armed brick in CKC. He has extra speed only to punch on an activation roll. IIRC