The Use of a Focus for Teleportation...?

Samuraiko

Re: The Use of a Focus for Teleportation...?

But that's not the way Focus works. If it did' date=' then I could buy my EB though a Focus, have that Focus taken away and still be able to use my EB, but only attack people who took it. That doesn't make any sense.[/quote']

Sounds like an interesting build challenge, then! :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ow... my head is starting to hurt. Thankfully though, all this seems to make sense to my GM and my husband, who can explain this to me in terms I might be able to understand. (The GM because he will tell me how it works, and my husband because he can translate from Hero to Michelle.)

The repping will continue as soon as I can... (and damn, I wish I could have repped Presto for his latest post instead of for his first one, I absolutely love the idea... and call the power "When It Absolutely, Positively, Has to Be There Overnight...")

two things:

I probably should have specified "dies and is obliterated", since the Floating Location might be tied to Sally's physical body instead of her as a living, thinking person.

1) You're out one Fixed Location

You teleport into the coffin with her :nonp:

Or join her in the center of a shuffling mass of mindless, freshly animated zombies.

2) You may have a mean GM.

You may have a very mean GM ;)

1) You're out one Fixed Location

You teleport into the coffin with her :nonp:

I can see this Fixed Location being treated as a Floating Location, actually.

. . . but I think most allies will be repulsed at the idea of carrying around your "Hand of Glory" ;)

Dust Raven - Focus is IMO the exact Limitation to put on a Locaion (Floating or Fixed) BECAUSE it can leave the characters control (the Location) and can be destroyed. If I concentrate on Sally as the Location and she moves around there's no Focus invovled. If I give Sally my Homing Device and she moves around and Bad Guy X steals it there's obviously a difference between the two constructs: One's not a focus the second one is. As I can always get to Sally in the first example (even if she's captured) but I may not always be able to get to Sally in the second.

I still have to disagree with this. Focus just doesn't do that. I'm not saying there is no Limitation what would, just that Focus isn't the Limitation. As a point of note, RSR, Activation, Limited Power and a number of other Limitation can also represent a Power that leaves the characters control.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if Sally dies?

Funny you should mention teleporting to the corpse... It's exactly what I was thinking. I suppose you could designate Sally's spirit as the Location rather than her body, in which case you'd teleport to whever her ghost is, though if it's in some other plane of existance you'd have to be on that plane to get there.

My copy of 5E is out in the car and I can't go get it because I'm not wearing pants.

That having been said, is there any reason you couldn't treat the locket as a fixed location and the rest of the power built as a scaled down multiple-level megascale, no relative velocity t-port with the inherent limits that you can only t-port to the fixed location -the amulet/whatever (-1 ?) ?

I don't really see the focus limit being involved here, rather an extension of the limited power limit that'd mimic some of the focus rules.

But that's not the way Focus works. If it did' date=' then I could buy my EB though a Focus, have that Focus taken away and still be able to use my EB, but only attack people who took it. That doesn't make any sense.[/quote']

But it's not the whole teleport power in the Focus, it's just the Floating Location. While I admit that Focus, going strictly by the rules, might not be a perfect fit, I believe that it is the best fit available.

If the Floating Location is tied to an object, that object resembles a Focus in that it can be out of the character's control or destroyed. And almost by definition, Teleport Locations are to be used when they aren't where the character is (or can see). In that respect, Teleport is unique. I have no problem with a possible handwave on the "Can't use it if you don't have the Focus" primarily due to this nature of Floating Locations.

At this point I wasn't talking about Foci' date=' just the difference between buying a Fixed Location on an easily portable object or buying a Floating Location. If you've bought a Floating Location and set that location to Sally, you can change that location from Sally even though Sally has flown off to Europe and his thousands of miles away. If you've bought it as a Fixed Location on a coin and given that coin to Sally, you've got to go get it back from Sally before you can put it anyplace else.[/quote']

But because the character *can* change where the coin is, it falls outside the bounds of what Fixed Locations allow. A coin is an object, not a location. If you want to define the Fixed Locations as a port-a-pottie that has to be dragged around, I'd go with that. But not a coin. The coin defines the location, but is not the location itself.

I disagree about the degree of control. A character can set his Fixed Location as a person. The character has no control over that person' date=' where he goes or where he might be when he wants to teleport. However, the character could ask that person to be in a certain place at a certain time, and the character doesn't even have to have ever been there himself.[/quote']

And Mr. My-Fixed_Location has the full ability to say "no". The character can request, not command (i.e., control) the other character. The other character can also get lost or kidnapped.

I see this as being functionally identical to setting the Fixed Location as an object the character can carry with him and set where needed (or given to someone else to set where needed).

The difference is that the character can exercise control over the object, but can only request something of Mr. My-Fixed-Location.

In either case' date=' something might happen to his Fixed Location (object stolen/moved or person changed their mind/kidnapped/barred from entry).[/quote']

In the first, that describes the way a Focus would modify the power. In the second, that shows that the character doesn't have control over that Location.

The huge difference between the two is that the Floating Location can be changed' date=' specifically to a new location without contact with the old location,[/quote']

That's not how the book describes it. I don't have my book with me here at work, so I can only paraphrase. "A Floating location can be changed to a new area by the character studying the area for a full Turn. A Fixed Location can never be changed, and where it is is outside the character's direct control."

Nowhere in there (in my paraphrase) does it mention that the character has to be where the Floation Location currently is set to to change it to a new location.

...and the Fixed Location can never be changed (it's always the object regardless of where the object is). The Limitation(s) you with to place on a Floating Location effectively cause it to act identically to a Fixed Location.

A Fixed Location can never be changed -- true -- but it's always a location. Even if defined by some "object" like another person, a car, a phone booth, it's still the location where that "object" which is outside the character's direct control, is located.

As soon as you allow the character any amount of contol over where the Fixed Location is, it is no longer a Fixed Location. Saying "It's a coin" doesn't modify that. F/X doesn't provide direct benefits. Neither do Limitations, unless that factor (the benefit) is far outweighed by the factors that serve to limit.

The only benefit provided by making a Floating Location a Focus is that it removes the Full Turn to change the location that the Focus defines. The Floation Location is not irrevocably tied to that Focus. Regardless of the F/X, the character can still spend the Full Turn to change where the location goes to. In the case of a Focus, it just "de-powers" or "goes offline" when the character pops a spare out of inventory and spends the Full Turn to attune it correctly (thus changing where the Floating Location is located).

There's one benefit of Floating Locations I think you might be overlooking. You don't have to have the Floating Location in your vicinity in order to change it. If I could, for example, define a Floating Location as an object, and that object is currently on the other side of the world, I'd assume I could reassign the Floating Location to the room I am currently in. If it were a Fixed Location, I could NOT do this.

I would probably think of a Focus for a Floating Location as something like a computer or a wand that I would have to use in order to set a new place for my Floating Location. A cosmic pen, as it were, with which to draw the big 'X'.

A Fixed Location defined as an object, on the other hand, would always be that object. I can't do anything about it (unless maybe it is destroyed and the GM is nice, or perhaps if the GM is really nice I can reassign it between whole adventures or something). There are benefits to this in that I might be able to send it with someone, mail it, or have someone place it somewhere, but there are probably enough drawbacks to balance it out, such as that the object could be stolen, placed, destroyed, etc. Those issues wouldn't be present for a Floating Location that I can just reassign if I think it has been tampered with.

But it's not the whole teleport power in the Focus, it's just the Floating Location. While I admit that Focus, going strictly by the rules, might not be a perfect fit, I believe that it is the best fit available.

If the Floating Location is tied to an object, that object resembles a Focus in that it can be out of the character's control or destroyed. And almost by definition, Teleport Locations are to be used when they aren't where the character is (or can see). In that respect, Teleport is unique. I have no problem with a possible handwave on the "Can't use it if you don't have the Focus" primarily due to this nature of Floating Locations.

The Locations can only be used if not in the character's possession/locale, but the Power to Teleport to them is. If a character buys his Locations through a Focus, and doesn't have the Focus, he can't Teleport to his Locations, but can as soon as he gets it back. At least thats the way I see things working.

But because the character *can* change where the coin is, it falls outside the bounds of what Fixed Locations allow. A coin is an object, not a location. If you want to define the Fixed Locations as a port-a-pottie that has to be dragged around, I'd go with that. But not a coin. The coin defines the location, but is not the location itself.

A person can be defined as a Fixed Location, and the location of the person can be changed just as easily as the coin's can. The person is the Location, and the same with the coin.

And Mr. My-Fixed_Location has the full ability to say "no". The character can request, not command (i.e., control) the other character. The other character can also get lost or kidnapped.

Mr. Fixed Location Man could also be asked to relocate himself while away from the character, or could not be at the desired location until a predetermined time. The coin cannot move on it's own and would have to be placed ahead of time and hidden or otherwise placed in a way that it's difficult to move. Also, if the coin were taken from the location, it has no way of telling the character, where a person might. To me, all these things balance out.

The difference is that the character can exercise control over the object, but can only request something of Mr. My-Fixed-Location.

And the person can communicate with the character on his own, while the coin can't. Balance.

In the first, that describes the way a Focus would modify the power. In the second, that shows that the character doesn't have control over that Location.

They both show the same thing to me, lack of complete control over the Location. The only difference is in how that control is lost.

That's not how the book describes it. I don't have my book with me here at work, so I can only paraphrase. "A Floating location can be changed to a new area by the character studying the area for a full Turn. A Fixed Location can never be changed, and where it is is outside the character's direct control."

Nowhere in there (in my paraphrase) does it mention that the character has to be where the Floation Location currently is set to to change it to a new location.

Precicely. The character doesn't have to go back and get his Floating Location to set it someplace else. He just sets it to the new location and the old one just vanishes. That's not what happens if your Location is a coin, and always the coin and can never be changed from that coin (the definition of a Fixed Location). If you want to change where the coin (the Location) is, you have to go back and get your coin and move it to where you want it.

A Fixed Location can never be changed -- true -- but it's always a location. Even if defined by some "object" like another person, a car, a phone booth, it's still the location where that "object" which is outside the character's direct control, is located.

As soon as you allow the character any amount of contol over where the Fixed Location is, it is no longer a Fixed Location. Saying "It's a coin" doesn't modify that. F/X doesn't provide direct benefits. Neither do Limitations, unless that factor (the benefit) is far outweighed by the factors that serve to limit.

This contradicts the rules. A character can (as per the rules) set a Fixed Location as a person, airplane seat, etc. and if he does so can control where that person, airplane seat, etc. will be when he needs it. It never has absolute control; the person could move or be moved, the airplane could crash or be stolen, etc. But then neither does a character have absolute control over a set Floating Location either (which also can be set to these things), other than to change it to some other place or thing (could change people, a seat on a different airline, etc).

The only benefit provided by making a Floating Location a Focus is that it removes the Full Turn to change the location that the Focus defines. The Floation Location is not irrevocably tied to that Focus. Regardless of the F/X, the character can still spend the Full Turn to change where the location goes to. In the case of a Focus, it just "de-powers" or "goes offline" when the character pops a spare out of inventory and spends the Full Turn to attune it correctly (thus changing where the Floating Location is located).

How does putting a Limitation on something make it more useful (not taking a Full Turn)? Even if you say you can buy a Floating Location as a Focus and say the Location is wherever the Focus is (instead of saying you can only Set the Location or Teleport to the Location you've set if you have the Focus), it still takes a Full Turn to put that Focus wherever it is you want it to be (and thus setting the Location). Then again, if the rules were changed that much, what's a little more?

Basically, this is how I see the mechanics of the game working:

You buy a Fixed Location, with the Location set to a distinctive coin. When you Teleport to this Location, you appear in the nearest "safe" hex to the coin, wherever the coin happens to be. The coin could be stolen from you, thus denying you the ability to choose where it goes, or it could be taken from wherever you've place it and you'd have no way of knowing this until you Teleported to it.

You buy a Floating Location with OAF (coin). You can set your Location anywhere you'd like, taking a Full Turn to do so, but only if you have the coin in your possession. The Location can be set to anything, from a person, to the driver's seat of your car to another coin. Once set, you can Teleport to that Location safely if you have the coin Focus in your possession. After setting a Location, you can reset it to a new location (taking a Full Turn) any time you'd like, and as before the new location could be anything, and also as before, only if you have the coin. If the coin is taken from you, you can not set a Location or Teleport to the location already set until you get it back.

The Locations can only be used if not in the character's possession/locale' date=' but the Power to Teleport to them is. If a character buys his Locations through a Focus, and doesn't have the Focus, he can't Teleport to his Locations, but can as soon as he gets it back. At least thats the way I see things working.[/quote']

But that seems silly (to me), since if he has the Location Focus, it's where he already is. Unless you think of the location that a Location Focus defines is not the physical location of that Focus. Which I guess is possible, but I've never seen a build like that. And still doesn't preclude the F/X of the Location defined by the Focus being where the Focus is located. :)

A person can be defined as a Fixed Location' date=' and the location of the person can be changed just as easily as the coin's can. The person [i']is[/i] the Location, and the same with the coin.

A person is self-willed. Most coins are not.

Mr. Fixed Location Man could also be asked to relocate himself while away from the character' date=' or could not be at the desired location until a predetermined time. The coin cannot move on it's own and would have to be placed ahead of time and hidden or otherwise placed in a way that it's difficult to move. Also, if the coin were taken from the location, it has no way of telling the character, where a person might. To me, all these things balance out.

To me, they all point out that a coin cannot define a Fixed Location. The key words I have highlighted. They all show that the character exercises control over the coin, but only influence over Mr. F. L. Man. Whether or not someone else can move either is inmaterial, as it can theoretically happen to both, thus cancelling out.

And that is just a possible benefit of having a sentient being as the Location. After all, they don't have to be aware that they are a Location to be used as such.

Side Note: Which makes me wonder if a GM would allow a Teleporter to take his DNPCs as Fixed (or Floating -- they could be either) Locations. DNPC gets in trouble? ::Bampf:: Help is immediately there to stop it.

And the person can communicate with the character on his own' date=' while the coin can't. Balance.[/quote']

A person doesn't come with Resistent Defenses. Imbalance. But communication ability is inmaterial to the matter of whether the character can or cannot control the Location. I could quite easily put a "transponder" power in a Focus that relays it's location to the Character.

Hmmm. Character Idea is forming. :D

They both show the same thing to me' date=' lack of complete control over the Location. The only difference is in how that control is lost.[/quote']

What matters is not the amount of loss of control, only if the character can exercise control. I.e., unless it's 100% loss of control, the character still has some percentage of control over the Location. This is not allowed for Fixed Locations, regardless of the F/X or other Limitations. It is inherent with the power. It's like taking "Only Along a Surface" on Flight, but then trying to say that because the F/X is "Running" it no longer has a turn mode.

Precicely. The character doesn't have to go back and get his Floating Location to set it someplace else. He just sets it to the new location and the old one just vanishes. That's not what happens if your Location is a coin, and always the coin and can never be changed from that coin (the definition of a Fixed Location). If you want to change where the coin (the Location) is, you have to go back and get your coin and move it to where you want it.

This contradicts the rules. A character can (as per the rules) set a Fixed Location as a person, airplane seat, etc. and if he does so can control where that person, airplane seat, etc. will be when he needs it.

Where in the book does it say that, please?

It never has absolute control; the person could move or be moved' date=' the airplane could crash or be stolen, etc. But then neither does a character have absolute control over a set Floating Location either (which also can be set to these things), other than to change it to some other place or thing (could change people, a seat on a different airline, etc).[/quote']

But don't you see, if the character *can* change the location, that gives him the final authority on where that location is. Floating location is set to an airplane seat and it has been hijacked to Cuba? No prob. I jaunt over to the airport for a full turn and bing! That Location is now set to a seat on some other plane.

Not having absolute control is not the determining factor. Absolute lack of control is the determing factor.

How does putting a Limitation on something make it more useful (not taking a Full Turn)? Even if you say you can buy a Floating Location as a Focus and say the Location is wherever the Focus is (instead of saying you can only Set the Location or Teleport to the Location you've set if you have the Focus)' date=' it still takes a Full Turn to put that Focus wherever it is you want it to be (and thus setting the Location). Then again, if the rules were changed that much, what's a little more?[/quote']

Changing something from a Full Turn down to, for instance, a Zero-Phase action is less of a change than taking something that is impossible and making it possible. The rules and FAQ don't directly specify that the Full Turn to change is removed by applying the Focus Limitation, it seemed self-evident to me. After all, the character might not be the one to place the Floating Location Focus. And it is also likely a "game simplicity" issue -- otherwise the GM will have to track where the Focus was a Turn ago, all the time.

Basically, this is how I see the mechanics of the game working:

You buy a Fixed Location, with the Location set to a distinctive coin. When you Teleport to this Location, you appear in the nearest "safe" hex to the coin, wherever the coin happens to be. The coin could be stolen from you, thus denying you the ability to choose where it goes, or it could be taken from wherever you've place it and you'd have no way of knowing this until you Teleported to it.

So I can, with a simple choice of F/X, negate the limitation of Fixed Locations being outside my character's control? That can't be right. F/X doesn't negate mechanics.

Ask yourself this: Can the character himself, at any time, exercise complete control and change where the "coin" is? If the answer is anything but "no", it cannot be a Fixed Location. The act of holding and placing the coin means that he has complete control at least part of the time, and thus the answer is not "no".

You buy a Floating Location with OAF (coin). You can set your Location anywhere you'd like' date=' taking a Full Turn to do so, but only if you have the coin in your possession. The Location can be set to anything, from a person, to the driver's seat of your car to another coin. Once set, you can Teleport to that Location safely if you have the coin Focus in your possession. After setting a Location, you can reset it to a new location (taking a Full Turn) any time you'd like, and as before the new location could be anything, and also as before, only if you have the coin. If the coin is taken from you, you can not set a Location or Teleport to the location already set until you get it back.[/quote']

I can see a Floating Location Focus acting like this, depending upon F/X. It seems like it's a "mnemonic" and not a "designation" in that use. I like the idea. :thumbup: But the thing is, now someone can interfere with the 'Port in two ways: Either affect the Focus, or affect the Location. Which seems to be possibly more limiting that just having the Focus be the Floating Location. It is a very by the book use of the Focus Limitation.

My objection is to the relocateability of Fixed Locations being even somewhat within the character's control. Is there a Limitation (or combination of Lims) that would let (in your mind) a Floating Location act the way I think it would when taken with Focus? I can't think of any, personally. Physical Manifestation is out IMO, and I know of no other Lim that would define the object's physical properties (DEF/Body).

Where in the book does it say that' date=' please?[/quote']

4th Edition, page 87, third paragraph under Teleportation:

A character can teleport to any spot he can see as long as it's within his range. The teleporter can memorize a fixed location for 1 Character Point and teleport there without seeing it, but only if the spot is within his range. The location need not be physical, it could, for example, be a living creature, an airplane seat, or whatever. This fixed location cannot ever be changed.

Unreal. All I did was ask a single stupid question and THIS comes out of it. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or afraid. :D

(Mind you, if in the end no one can agree on the rules thing, you can always agree to meet in Arizona Stadium, which I will personally fill with lava and spikes, and you can slug it out with socks filled with manure.)

The funny thing is, I started another conversation like this between myself and John about another power Midnight might try her hand at (an active, offense-based, screw-over-the-other-mentalists power). Which John will, unless I am mistaken, be asking ole' Steve about when I get off the computer. Should be amusing.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

The sad thing is, all of this brain-power is being spent for, what sounds like, a plot device.

I'm wondering if the mechanics really matter here.

It's not really a plot device because it's an ability that can be used on command by a specific character throughout the entire campaign. If it was just for a one time effect on a specific story arc, then certainly it's a plot device, but that's not the case here.

A person is self-willed. Most coins are not.

The balance between an innanimate object (of any kind) and a living creature (of any kind) being chosen as Fixed Locations are thus (they way I'm seeing it): An innanimate object has no control over what happens to it. Anyone may control it, the only thing that can limit anyone's control over it is the influence of another person, either of which are outside forces. The innanimate object is immobile and unaware of its surroundings and does not know, or care, who is manipulating it.

A living being has control over what happens to it. It may react to and resist any attempt to influence, regardless of who or what that influence is. Living creatures are self mobile and aware of their surroundings and will know, and likely care, who my try to manipulate it.

These balance out. If the Fixed Location is a coin, you can slip it in the couch cushins of someone's house so you can Teleport there later. If someone finds it, they can move it and the coin is neither aware of it, nor can do anything about it. If the Fixed Location is a person, you can ask that person to stay in someone's house, or enter that house around the time you need to be there. If anyone tries to prevent this from happening, the person can resist their efforts and make active attempts to still be in the house at the appointed time. The person could also refuse the request, which is what balances the person against the coin. Basically, anyone can manipulate the coin, but can only influence the person (applies to both the Character who purchases him as a Location and to anyone else in the campaign world). Chances are a character isn't going to set their Location to a person who is likely to refuse a reasonable request though.

So I can, with a simple choice of F/X, negate the limitation of Fixed Locations being outside my character's control? That can't be right. F/X doesn't negate mechanics.

No. The Fixed Location remains completely outside the character's control. It is always the coin and can never be changed.

Ask yourself this: Can the character himself, at any time, exercise complete control and change where the "coin" is? If the answer is anything but "no", it cannot be a Fixed Location. The act of holding and placing the coin means that he has complete control at least part of the time, and thus the answer is not "no".

The answer is still no. There is no "complete control" here. He might has some control over where the coin is, but the fact is the coin is his Fixed Location, not where he wants to put it. That can never be changed. The character has about as much control over the coin as he does over a living person, an airline seat, etc.

I can see a Floating Location Focus acting like this, depending upon F/X. It seems like it's a "mnemonic" and not a "designation" in that use. I like the idea. :thumbup: But the thing is, now someone can interfere with the 'Port in two ways: Either affect the Focus, or affect the Location. Which seems to be possibly more limiting that just having the Focus be the Floating Location. It is a very by the book use of the Focus Limitation.

Well, in absolutely no case can anyone affect the Location, be it Fixed or Floating, other than destroying the Location (which applies to both Fixed and Floating). The only partial exception to this is if the Location is something mobile, but even then, the Location is being changed, only being put someplace else. So Teleporting to the Location can still only be interfered with one way (directly): remove the character's Focus from his possession.

My objection is to the relocateability of Fixed Locations being even somewhat within the character's control. Is there a Limitation (or combination of Lims) that would let (in your mind) a Floating Location act the way I think it would when taken with Focus? I can't think of any, personally. Physical Manifestation is out IMO, and I know of no other Lim that would define the object's physical properties (DEF/Body).

The only way to accomplish this is by buying the Location as a Fixed Location defined as a mobile object. Physical Manifistation could be interesting, but to me that just puts some representation at the Floating Location that someone else can destroy (like with any Power with Physical Manifistation).

Unreal. All I did was ask a single stupid question and THIS comes out of it. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or afraid. :D

(Mind you, if in the end no one can agree on the rules thing, you can always agree to meet in Arizona Stadium, which I will personally fill with lava and spikes, and you can slug it out with socks filled with manure.)

Oh, man... Not again! Can't we fill the socks with something else this time?

The funny thing is, I started another conversation like this between myself and John about another power Midnight might try her hand at (an active, offense-based, screw-over-the-other-mentalists power). Which John will, unless I am mistaken, be asking ole' Steve about when I get off the computer. Should be amusing.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Should definately be amusing. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

This is just Standard Operating Procedure for the boards. You kow you've created a true monster when spinoff threads are started on other sections of the board.

Out of curiosity, is the whole power being bought through a framework ?

If so, the point difference between a floating and fixed location adder, may not matter.

Fixed and Floating Locations may not be purchesed in a Framework, and are always bought separately from Teleport (they are not part of the Teleport Power, though they add their Active Cost to Teleport to determine the END used to Teleport to one).

This is just Standard Operating Procedure for the boards. You kow you've created a true monster when spinoff threads are started on other sections of the board.

We've got spinoff threads for this? Where?

4th Edition' date=' page 87, third paragraph under Teleportation:[/quote']

Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the part of the post that said:

...and if he does so can control where that person, airplane seat, etc. will be when he needs it.

The book says no such thing.

Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the part of the post that said:

The book says no such thing.

The book need not state such an obvious thing. People and airplane seats are mobile; that should say enough.