The Use of a Focus for Teleportation...?

Samuraiko

Re: The Use of a Focus for Teleportation...?

True' date=' which is why I acknowledged in my latest post that they only came close to emulating it, and even then had some flaws. I was thinking, though, of "recoverable" in more than the standard "recover the Focus" sense you describe above; i.e., if I drop the Focus off the side of a boat and it sinks to the bottom of an ocean, I don't want to have to dive down there to pick it up, I want to construct a new Focus (without paying XP for the replacement). Same thing, hopefully, for the villain who steals one; once tricked, you know to not trust the "feel" of that particular signal anymore, and use a distinctly different signal in the new one.[/quote']

Again, that's built into the concept of a Focus.

If you lose a Focus you do not lose the Power - that's Independant. You do not have to spend XP to replace the Focus. You simply come up with a new Focus, how that is handled in game is completely up to the GM and Player.: diving for the sword, buying a new sword, making a new sword, having it reappear in your gear after a full night has passed....

You're trying to teleport to where they are' date=' and the beacon is where they are. Why complicate matters? ;)[/quote']

The Beacon is the Focus that allows this to happen. No focus = No Teleport. That is what Samuraiko asked for: How to build a "device" that allows her character to teleport from where they are to where the other character is.

The device is the plot point, the mechanic for the device is a Focus. It's even in the thread title. So - you can either define the Location as "Person With Device" or "Location of Device" - same end result, the device is still a critical componant.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, that's built into the concept of a Focus.

If you lose a Focus you do not lose the Power - that's Independant. You do not have to spend XP to replace the Focus. You simply come up with a new Focus, how that is handled in game is completely up to the GM and Player.: diving for the sword, buying a new sword, making a new sword, having it reappear in your gear after a full night has passed....

Wouldn't making it Independent put the Teleport power with the Focus, though, UAA or something weird to make that work? If the villain steals it, and the hero de-attunes it, the villain shouldn't have anything still, though it seems they would with Independent.

(The bandits beat you up and steal your sword, they now have a sword. They also take the amulet that your sweetheart gave you when you left for war; to you it means something, and provides an inspirational bonus to resisting Presence and Mental attacks; to them it's just another pretty bauble, though.)

you can either define the Location as "Person With Device" or "Location of Device" - same end result' date=' the device is still a critical componant.[/quote']

Agreed that it's the same end result. Cheaper to go with Fixed Location; more likely, IMO, to be accepted as such by the GM if it's always the same location.

I wouldn't make it with either Focus or Independent. The objects just define the Locations. If one gets broken' date=' the GM should probably let the character build/acquire another, but not until then (if they are indeed Fixed).[/quote']

I think that depends on your GM and his or her interpretation. I don't have my book handy but I think that it does explicitly forbid buying a person as a Fixed Location. Beyond that you kinda have to claim *something* for special effects and that is some kind of focus or it is Independent. Since base cost for the Fixed Location is 1 this is really the GM just telling you how nasty they are since you will never realize a point savings for this limitation.

Like I said above... Can Joe Bigbad take it away from one of your teammates and use it to summon you into a trap? Would *I* choose to build in a way that would allow him to summon me? Not unless I want to write in that weakness specifically... Will my GM allow me to get away with not writing it that way?

Wouldn't making it Independent put the Teleport power with the Focus, though, UAA or something weird to make that work? If the villain steals it, and the hero de-attunes it, the villain shouldn't have anything still, though it seems they would with Independent.

(The bandits beat you up and steal your sword, they now have a sword. They also take the amulet that your sweetheart gave you when you left for war; to you it means something, and provides an inspirational bonus to resisting Presence and Mental attacks; to them it's just another pretty bauble, though.)

Independant means that yes, someone else can now take the Beacon Device and use it (assuming they have a compatible SFX teleport). It does not need UAA or any such thing.

If the device is turned off, deattuned, crushed or handed to another person the end result is the same: The Teleporter has lost that Beacon Device.

Remember as I've built it the Beacon Device DOES NOT provide Teleport - only a location to teleport to. The Locations have been bought through the focus. Not the Teleport.

With Independant if it is Lost (let's say destroyed) then you are out character points and must spend XP to create a new device. With Focus you are not out points, you simply make a new device.

Let's take your sword and pendant now.

In most heroic games Swords are bought Independant, but let's say this character did not buy it that way... it's just a sword. Next adventure they have a new sword assuming a reasonble way to get one (an armorer in the next town for instance).

In the case of the Pendant - it appears to be bought through a Personal Focus. Whereas the swords are generally Universal Focii.

That is covered under Applicability, 4E Rules p106 5ER p295

You can buy the power partially Limited like that?

Locations are not Adders. They are bought Seperately from Teleport.

And yes - you can buy a Power Partially Limited so only some of it has a Focus, but that's irrelevant for this discussion regarding Teleport and Fixed Locations.

Bear with me, I've never asked a question on here before.

What is the most efficient and/or cost effective way of doing the following (read: can this even be done?) in 5eR:

The use of some sort of focus that I could use to lock onto another person and teleport from wherever I happen to be to wherever they happen to be.

The idea is that if a teammate gets into trouble and needs me there, I can just bampf to wherever they are (of course, getting back to wherever I was BEFORE is a problem, but that's not my concern right now).

Now, I realize that this means a HUGE potential variance in distance, and a hell of a lot of accuracy. How exactly might I be able to do this? (You can give it to me in HeroSpeak, I can have my husband translate it if necessary...)

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Okay, I'm the GM here so I should probably put in my 2 cents...

ghost-angel: Fixed and Fixed Floating Locations do cost END; their active cost is added to the Teleport they are used with when used to determine the final END cost, though a single Fixed Location isn't going to increase the actual END spent to use the Power unless that Location has a lot of Advantages on it.

Now on to the actual Power idea here:

Samuraiko, what you are looking for is two separate Powers. One lets you know when a teammate needs your help and the other gets you to him. Let's deal with the "gets you to him" part first, since that's the easiest.

Basically all you need is a Teleport with enough MegaScale to cover the entire Earth (or more or less depending on exactly how far you think the maximum range of this teleport should be). Toss in the +1/4 Scalable (to 1" = 1km) and you've got the base Teleport you need. The books says that you need a second Teleport to move a distance less than 1km, but with GM's permission you can use the one Teleport to do so. I might give that permission depending on the rest of the build, but for now we'll assume I've given it an you only need this one Teleport Power (I'll give this permission if this Teleport is limited to teleporting only to your Locations or is similarly limited in some way; if you want to use this ability to go anywhere regardless of the location, then no, you'll have to buy two Teleport Powers).

After the Teleport, you just need your Locations. You can define a small objects as a Fixed Location for 1 point. This is not a Focus because by definition the objects cannot be in your possession when the Power is used, and that's not the way Foci work in my opinion. The object is just an object and shouldn't receive a point break, just like you don't receive a point break when you define the Location is being a specific teammate. Buy one Fixed Location for each object you can hand out and viola, you're done with the Teleport part of this ability. Note, you can have more Fixed Locations (the objects) than you have teammates and keep them with you. While you have them, they do nothing, but you can plant them wherever you'd like to Teleport to later, or even attempt to slip one onto another character without their knowledge. A villain I used in a different campaign (but the same campaign world) has a similar ability and has a teammate with Desolification take an object into secured location and then teleports the rest of the team in.

Now for the part about knowing when a teammate needs you. This is the really complicated part. Or the easiest, depending on how you want to handle it. Everybody in the team already has a radio (HRRP, OAF, Affected as Sight & Hearing Groups), so they could just call you on that and you're off to save them. If you prefer a "mental cry for help" it could get problematic. This could be a Mind Link with no LOS (bought by the other Characters) they use to contact you. As such you pay nothing for the ability, but they do, and only if they want to pay the points (they can get it fairly cheap if you also by a similar Mind Link and they buy their's though a Focus and Only With Others With Mind Link). Alternately you can buy a Detect (Mental Cry For Help) but I'm not sure if I'd allow something like that. It would have to have a LOT of Telescopic to cover the entire world for one, or be MegaScaled (and bought twice, with one of them not MegaScaled so you can sense a cry for help at shorter ranges). This part I'll wait for more feedback from you on sense I'm not sure how you see this happening.

And there's always the possibility of modifying both abilities to stretch between dimensions, sense I'm running a campaign that spans between Earth, Babylon, Arcadia, the Netherworld and the entire Astral Plane.

ghost-angel: Fixed and Fixed Floating Locations do cost END; their active cost is added to the Teleport they are used with when used to determine the final END cost' date=' though a single Fixed Location isn't going to increase the actual END spent to use the Power unless that Location has a lot of Advantages on it.[/quote']

Heh. I didn't read far enough. They are bought seperately from Teleport (they can't be bought inside Frameworks for example) but they do add to END. That's what I get for stopping before the last paragraph. :o

I don't have my book handy but I think that it does explicitly forbid buying a person as a Fixed Location.

Actually, A Person is one of the specific examples given for Fixed Locations. So you can define it that way.

I think that depends on your GM and his or her interpretation. I don't have my book handy but I think that it does explicitly forbid buying a person as a Fixed Location. Beyond that you kinda have to claim *something* for special effects and that is some kind of focus or it is Independent. Since base cost for the Fixed Location is 1 this is really the GM just telling you how nasty they are since you will never realize a point savings for this limitation.

I wasn't suggesting defining the Location as a person. I was suggesting defining it as the object. An object that can be lost, stolen (and purposefully placed in interesting places), or possibly destroyed. if any of that happens you will likely (probably unknowingly) wind up in a situation you probably didn't expect when you choose to teleport.

Like I said above... Can Joe Bigbad take it away from one of your teammates and use it to summon you into a trap? Would *I* choose to build in a way that would allow him to summon me? Not unless I want to write in that weakness specifically... Will my GM allow me to get away with not writing it that way?

Oh! Is it supposed to be the person with the object that triggers the teleport? In that case consider a UBO Summon with the Specific Being Advantage defined as yourself (in which case Focus would be more appropriate, and maybe Independent, depending on the game). Another way I might build this is with Teleport (the kind of Teleports we have been mentioning, probably) that has a Trigger that is activated not by you but by the person with the object (or possibly some event such as the object being broken).

Oh! Is it supposed to be the person with the object that triggers the teleport? In that case consider a UBO Summon with the Specific Being Advantage defined as yourself (in which case Focus would be more appropriate' date=' and maybe [i']Independent[/i], depending on the game). Another way I might build this is with Teleport (the kind of Teleports we have been mentioning, probably) that has a Trigger that is activated not by you but by the person with the object (or possibly some event such as the object being broken).

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to prestidigitator again."

And now I'm starting to wonder about Trigger . . .

Amazing how one person's ignorance starts such a conversation! Geez...

Thankfully, Dust Raven will be coming over later this afternoon for more in-depth discussion on this whole thing. It's proven to be a very educational (albeit confusing as hell) lecture on how all this works. He actually repped me for going outside "the GM's mind" to try and present multiple ideas on something my character could use to help my teammates (we're big on team spirit), which I also thought was cool.

My other fun challenge (one for a new thread, if/when I get the idea hammered out a bit more) is going to be the development of a new power for Midnight for dealing with a mentalist/mage that has taken umbrage at her nearly besting him not once but TWICE... something mental/mystic-related, and very, VERY disconcerting...

I will also be repping everyone from the start of this thread (yes, including you Steve, not that you really need it), so be patient, you will all get some.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Since the teleport is in an EC, another possibility is to add a +1/4 Var Advantage on it, if the GM allows. This will let you swap in a 1/2 END cost when you don't need the megascale, and a 1"=1km megascale when you do. It would also let you do other nifty tricks, with GM permission.

This is a +1/2 advantage so it's not super-cheap, but it might be cheaper than buying a whole new power (or a new framework.) On the other hand, you might be able to convince the GM to allow you to ditch the extra NCM multiple to save a couple points.

4. Homing Device: Teleportation: Fixed Location (5 Locations) (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)

These types of locations are Floating Locations, not Fixed.

Q: On 5ER 233, the text says Fixed Locations can be mobile — a character could have one defined as a specific seat on a specific airplane, for example. Could a character define a Fixed Location as a Focus (“Teleport Disksâ€) he could carry with him and place at will? If so, what happens if the Focus is destroyed — does he lose that Fixed Location and have to buy a new one?

A: What this example describes is a Floating Fixed Location, not an ordinary Fixed Location. The example “mobile†Fixed Locations are relatively beyond the character’s control. An airplane seat, for example, may be mobile, but it’s not under the character’s direct control. The disks you describe, OTOH, are under the character’s direct control, so they should be Floating Fixed Locations.

If the Focus is destroyed, the character doesn’t lose the Location. But he has to remake/repair the Focus before you can use the Location again, the same as he would any other broken Focus and its power.

SteveZilla, this is one of the things I disagree with Steve Long about, at least in spirit. Ghost-angel's example would be against the rules in my opinion, since the Power would only work if the character did not have the Focus. Other than that, defining a Fixed Location has a highly portable object the character can carry with him and drop off is absolutely rules legal and is not at all "under the character's direct control." The objects could get lost or stolen, especially once placed somewhere. Once placed, anyone could find one, pick it up and put it someplace else, which would cause the teleporter to go there instead of where they put the item.

56. Walking The Twilight Path: Multipower, 56-point reserve

6u) Short Path: Teleportation 8", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, x64 Noncombat (56 Active Points)

6u) Long Path: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (56 Active Points)

Earth's Diameter is listed as 12,756.3 Km. Almost every GM I've played with has rounded it down to an even 10,000 Km for playability.

So, it would take 10" Megascaled to 1" = 1,000 Km (or 1" Megascaled to 1" = 10,000 Km).

I'd modify the above to be like this:

55  On The Road Again: Multipower (55 Point Reserve)
5u) Around the Corner: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, x128 Noncombat (55 Active Points)
4u) Long Haul: Teleportation 1", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, Megascale (1" = 10,000 km; +1¼), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (42 Active Points)

20   Homing Device: Teleportation: Floating Location (5 Locations) (25 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)

84 total. The main difference in price comes from the Floating Locations. However, this version also lets one travel the entire globe (presuming the GM using a diameter of 10,000 Km). If they keep the Earth at it's actual Diameter, just increase the Megascale to 1"=100,000, which raises the Active Points of the Long Haul to 47 Active Points, and a slot cost of 5 pts (just one more ;)).

Interestingly, as a side effect of buying a large range of Teleportation to travel to the other side of the Earth, one can *also* use that same range to go up into space. Reaching the International Space Station is no problem as long as it's not close to directly opposite you through the Earth.

Almost forgot ... there is a Non Combat Multiplier on the Long Path' date=' you can either place a No Non Combat Movement Limitation on it, or realize you can go twice as far outside combat .... up to 10,000KM with a Non Combat Move.[/quote']

Actually, Megascale eliminates any NCM that a movement power has, and only uses the combat inches * Megascale multiple to figure the teleport range.

SteveZilla' date=' this is one of the things I disagree with Steve Long about, at least in spirit. Ghost-angel's example would be against the rules in my opinion, since the Power would only work if the character [i']did not[/i] have the Focus. Other than that, defining a Fixed Location has a highly portable object the character can carry with him and drop off is absolutely rules legal and is not at all "under the character's direct control." The objects could get lost or stolen, especially once placed somewhere. Once placed, anyone could find one, pick it up and put it someplace else, which would cause the teleporter to go there instead of where they put the item.

Well, I would disagre with you on the Focus Lim (It can be pick-pocketed or destroyed) and the Fixed Location point (it blurs the distinction between Fixed and Floating), but it's your game. As the GM, you have the power to change what you don't like. :)

Well' date=' I would disagre with you on the Focus Lim (It can be pick-pocketed or destroyed) and the Fixed Location point (it blurs the distinction between Fixed and Floating), but it's your game. As the GM, you have the power to change what you don't like. :)[/quote']

On the Focus issue, the main thing I have against it is that by definition the Power only works if the character has the Focus in his possession and the Power can be taken away/disabled if the Focus is taken from him. While someone can take these items away from the character or remove them from where he put them, that doesn't prevent the use of the Power at all. He just teleports to a different location (just as if he designated his DNPC as a Fixed Location and he moved himself to some location the PC doesn't know about).

As far as bluring the distinction between Fixed and Floating locations, we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me it's a huge advantage to set a location and have absolutely nothing other than yourself able to change that, and the ability to change that on a whim from where ever you happen to be. If you've got a Fixed Location set to a distinctive coin, and you place that coin in the location you want to later teleport to, you not only have to worry about somebody moving the coin without your knowledge, you have to go back and get your coin if you want to put it in a new location.

On the Focus issue' date=' the main thing I have against it is that by definition the Power only works if the character has the Focus in his possession and the Power can be taken away/disabled if the Focus is taken from him. While someone can take these items away from the character or remove them from where he put them, that doesn't prevent the use of the Power at all. He just teleports to a different location (just as if he designated his DNPC as a Fixed Location and he moved himself to some location the PC doesn't know about).[/quote']

True, it doesn't altogether stop the power. But it does stop the power from working as the Player would intend/want. Instead of Our Hero teleporting into the bedchambers of Lady Luck :celebrate, he suddenly finds himself atop Mt. St. Helens. :eek: I can see the Focus Limitation representing some loss of control/knowledge of where he'll wind up. And destoying the Focus actually would prevent the power (the Location) from working.

As far as bluring the distinction between Fixed and Floating locations' date=' we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me it's a huge advantage to set a location and have absolutely nothing other than yourself able to change that, and the ability to change that on a whim from where ever you happen to be.[/quote']

But the character *can't* change it from wherever he is. He (or someone else) has to move the Focus. If I give a Tele-Transponder to Sally, and she goes to Europe, I can't just decide that Veronica (who is here with me in the USA ;)) should have it instead.

If you've got a Fixed Location set to a distinctive coin, and you place that coin in the location you want to later teleport to, you not only have to worry about somebody moving the coin without your knowledge, you have to go back and get your coin if you want to put it in a new location.

But because the character *can* simply pick it up and place it somewhere else, that is a much greater degree of control than an unlimited Fixed Location has, which is set for life. That's why it is a Floating Location (with a Lim) -- the Location can be determined by the character, and later re-determined to a different location. That it can be interfeired with is a function of the Focus Limitation.

Or, Look at it this way:

1pt: Fixed Location (set for life and can never be changed or directly controled by the character).

5pts: Floating Location (Can be changed by spending a full Turn to reset to where the character is studying -- generally his current location, barring extra senses}.

The changeability is why a Float cost five times that of a Fixed. The Full Turn Delay is for Game Balance.

If at any time the Location can be changed by the character himself, then the base power is a Floating Location. If it can also be moved without his consent or Knowledge (possibly to his detriment), that would indicate a Limitation to me. IMO that limiting factor more than offsets the benefit that it no longer takes a full Phase to change the location.

True' date=' it doesn't altogether stop the power. But it does stop the power from working as the Player would intend/want. Instead of Our Hero teleporting into the bedchambers of Lady Luck :celebrate, he suddenly finds himself atop Mt. St. Helens. :eek: I can see the Focus Limitation representing some loss of control/knowledge of where he'll wind up. And destoying the Focus actually would prevent the power (the Location) from working.[/quote']

But that's not the way Focus works. If it did, then I could buy my EB though a Focus, have that Focus taken away and still be able to use my EB, but only attack people who took it. That doesn't make any sense.

But the character *can't* change it from wherever he is. He (or someone else) has to move the Focus. If I give a Tele-Transponder to Sally, and she goes to Europe, I can't just decide that Veronica (who is here with me in the USA ;)) should have it instead.

At this point I wasn't talking about Foci, just the difference between buying a Fixed Location on an easily portable object or buying a Floating Location. If you've bought a Floating Location and set that location to Sally, you can change that location from Sally even though Sally has flown off to Europe and his thousands of miles away. If you've bought it as a Fixed Location on a coin and given that coin to Sally, you've got to go get it back from Sally before you can put it anyplace else.

But because the character *can* simply pick it up and place it somewhere else, that is a much greater degree of control than an unlimited Fixed Location has, which is set for life. That's why it is a Floating Location (with a Lim) -- the Location can be determined by the character, and later re-determined to a different location. That it can be interfeired with is a function of the Focus Limitation.

I disagree about the degree of control. A character can set his Fixed Location as a person. The character has no control over that person, where he goes or where he might be when he wants to teleport. However, the character could ask that person to be in a certain place at a certain time, and the character doesn't even have to have ever been there himself. I see this as being functionally identical to setting the Fixed Location as an object the character can carry with him and set where needed (or given to someone else to set where needed). In either case, something might happen to his Fixed Location (object stolen/moved or person changed their mind/kidnapped/barred from entry).

Or, Look at it this way:

1pt: Fixed Location (set for life and can never be changed or directly controled by the character).

5pts: Floating Location (Can be changed by spending a full Turn to reset to where the character is studying -- generally his current location, barring extra senses}.

The changeability is why a Float cost five times that of a Fixed. The Full Turn Delay is for Game Balance.

If at any time the Location can be changed by the character himself, then the base power is a Floating Location. If it can also be moved without his consent or Knowledge (possibly to his detriment), that would indicate a Limitation to me. IMO that limiting factor more than offsets the benefit that it no longer takes a full Phase to change the location.

The huge difference between the two is that the Floating Location can be changed, specifically to a new location without contact with the old location, and the Fixed Location can never be changed (it's always the object regardless of where the object is). The Limitation(s) you with to place on a Floating Location effectively cause it to act identically to a Fixed Location.

Okay. I just seriously contemplated writing up a character who mails himself places (by shipping an object through the postal service or a delivery company and then Teleporting himself to the object). I think it's time to go to bed. Heh.

NO! That's Genius!! alas You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to prestidigitator again.

Steve Zilla - thnx for pointing out some of my errors, I'd forgotten Megscale removed NCM. Goes to show I don't use it that often.

Dust Raven - Focus is IMO the exact Limitation to put on a Locaion (Floating or Fixed) BECAUSE it can leave the characters control (the Location) and can be destroyed. If I concentrate on Sally as the Location and she moves around there's no Focus invovled. If I give Sally my Homing Device and she moves around and Bad Guy X steals it there's obviously a difference between the two constructs: One's not a focus the second one is. As I can always get to Sally in the first example (even if she's captured) but I may not always be able to get to Sally in the second.

Emphasis mine:

Dust Raven - Focus is IMO the exact Limitation to put on a Locaion (Floating or Fixed) BECAUSE it can leave the characters control (the Location) and can be destroyed. If I concentrate on Sally as the Location and she moves around there's no Focus invovled. If I give Sally my Homing Device and she moves around and Bad Guy X steals it there's obviously a difference between the two constructs: One's not a focus the second one is. As I can always get to Sally in the first example (even if she's captured) but I may not always be able to get to Sally in the second.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if Sally dies?