Capes and Claws: Furry "Champions"

AdamLeisemann

I am working on building up a superhero universe that is entirely populated by anthropomorphic animals.

This will be a "serious" universe, not a joke like the Zoo Crew's Earth-C or Supermegatopia. This is more akin to the Champions Universe or Extinctioners (though I seem absolutely incapable of fnding the latter).

So far: Here are some characters I have concepts for:

The Sentinels (sample superteam)

*Psion/Terrence Fenn (Fennec Fox mentalist. Team leader. Talent (their term for mutant) and ex-cop)

*Bounder/Garrett Broder (Border Collie Speedster. Country-boy who developed his own martial arts style to take advanteage of his "talent")

*Paladin/Richard Darian (Raccoon Power-armor-jock. Natural genius who built his own suit.)

*Tesla/Tess Darian (Raccoon Energy-projector (electricity). Gained her powers from an electrical accident. Youngest member of the team.)

*Morfox (Magical Construct Metamorph. Think T-1000 as a hero, but without the ability to change its coloration.)

Master Villains (all independant except for flunkies)

*Alexander (Horse Megalomaniac. Greek themed master villain who might be the reincarnation of Alexander the Great.)

*Lady Tiamat (Dragon sorceress. Origin unknown, but she seems to be very much interested in acquiring power for it's sake.)

Other Heroes

*Wonder Weasel/Henry Heralds (Weasel stretcher. Old WWII hero, powers manifested after exposure to an Axis Bio-weapon. Died in 1965 fighting a communist villain. Reported as the first modern superhero)

*Visionary I/Robert Laurel (Lapine energy blaster. Can fire eye-beams and has many different vision powers. Died in 1998.)

*Visionary II/Leanne Laurel (Daughter of Robert Laurel. Was blinded as a teenager. When her father died, the eyes were transplanted, and her own Talent blood kicked in giving her the powers through her father's eyes. Noted as the first successful full-eye-transplant patient. Fights crime because she at least owes her father that much... or so she thinks.)

*Pack/Robin Gilliam (Lupine Duplicator. Subjected to experiments in his youth that have inadvertently given him the power to duplicate)

Independant Villains

*Wraith/Jimmy Harker (Feline stalker. He has the power of invisibility, being able to make himself imperceivable. He went to stalking and killing supers so as to compensate for what he feels are his inadequacies.)

*Pan (Mouse Vampire. Looks like a small child. He tends to induct children into the ranks of his "lost cubs" and has been known to get some adult muscle into his gang. He seeks solely to maintain his unholy existance. He might have been around since the middle ages.)

And that's all for ideas so far. Feel free to offer other ideas.

Re: Capes and Claws: Furry "Champions"

*Wraith/Jimmy Harker (Feline stalker. He has the power of invisibility, being able to make himself imperceivable. He went to stalking and killing supers so as to compensate for what he feels are his inadequacies.)

What is it about felines and invisibility... this is Shadowtiger a former PC in the Wardens campaign... she had the power of invisibility... if you were within "line of sight" you could not perceive her if her invisibility was active...

shadowtiger.jpg

That actually is kinda funny. I have a black cat and a black desk chair. She didn't claw me, but we both got the surprise of our lives once when I didn't look carefully before sitting down.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen her asleep in this chair since, and that was like 8 months ago.

I think you need to use more 'uprated' animal abilities in your creations. The animal world is full of 'bricks' and martial artists, use them.

Such as a 'Goat' or similar based brick. Has a move through ramming attack, he's fast, good climbing skills, 270 degree vision, environmantal restistances etc. Use flyers with more wing based movement powers than rocket packs for example.

I think the idea was to suggest building characters around the concepts/stereotypes of their animal base... and while that works out, I'd want to throw in a few ringers too, m'self, just for fun.

Anybody else for an Elephant energy projector, sonic, maybe with flight? ;)

I am working on building up a superhero universe that is entirely populated by anthropomorphic animals.

This will be a "serious" universe, not a joke like the Zoo Crew's Earth-C or Supermegatopia. This is more akin to the Champions Universe or Extinctioners (though I seem absolutely incapable of fnding the latter).

With Extinctioners, there's info on them at their site, as well as at Wikifur, which has a gigantic article covering them and the Extinctionerverse. You might also be able to find some of the comics through their publisher, Shanda Fantasy Arts, or at the site listed above (Shawntae usually has some issues on hand, and he'll gladly sell them) or at Rabbit Valley.

Or you can PM me for info on various Yahoo groups like Club Extinctioners set up for fans of the series.

That said, you've got some great ideas here. Good luck.

I think the idea was to suggest building characters around the concepts/stereotypes of their animal base... and while that works out, I'd want to throw in a few ringers too, m'self, just for fun.

Anybody else for an Elephant energy projector, sonic, maybe with flight? ;)

Well, in the recently issued ESSENTIAL SAVAGE SHE-HULK they list her old enemy, Man-Elephant. Just a guy in a power armor suit (of tire rubber, no less) made to look like an elephant, not an anthro elephant, but he did shoot knockout gas and sonic blasts out of his trunk. Oh, and he could detach his tusks and gore you with them.

I can't imagine why he's never been brought back. ;)

Oh lordy, I can see the flting elephant now. Dumbo on steroids, "When I see an elephant fly!" being the theme tune.

And, of course, the biggest flying brick would have to be either the old Hanna-Barbera "Atom Ant" or maybe "Mighty Mouse". Uh Oh.. Road Runner. Super speed, amazing luck. The Tasmanian devil?

How hard do you want to mine the cartoons for your NPC's?

*chuckles*

On the subject of mining cartoons, one does have to be careful about going too deep (and getting eyeballed for copyright infringement), or seeming too silly. Think he's got character concepts... I suspect that he's looking for thoughts about the world itself, and how to work with that, if it should be different from the "standard" to avoid being "humans with fur."

Mining Cartoons is not a good idea for Capes and Claws. And here's why:

C&C is intended to be a serious superhero universe, similar to (though hopefully without the recent suckage of) Marvel or DC. As a result, it is best to avoid the overt silliness of cartoons.