Turakian Age: Changing the Future

Alcamtar

Re: Turakian Age: Changing the Future

Honestly' date=' it's not so much Kal-Turak himself and the big cataclysm upon his defeat that rubs me the wrong way. It's the whole Tolkein-esque multiple races fantasy set-up existing in the past of the Champions setting. I'd much prefer to have the high fantasy aspects set in the Land of Legends and keep Earth's prehistory more along the lines of Robert E. Howard's fiction.[/quote']

Certainly you have every right to prefer things that way, but for my part the multiple-races element of this early era strikes me as very appropriate to the prehistory of Champions Earth. We know that when the Elder Worm ruled this world over a hundred thousand years ago, they tampered with human genetics; that's the main reason the Slug in the modern-day CU can transform humans into Worms. I could definitely see them modifying the base human genome to create humanoid variants with unique capabilities to serve them. To me this is the likeliest explanation for so many of the humanoids in the Turakian era being interfertile -- they're all from the same base stock. OTOH I'd be surprised if the Elder Worm didn't bring some of their alien servants with them when they fled to this planet. That could be the origin of the most non-human Turakian peoples, such as the Migdalars.

As The Turakian Age mentions, the gods of that era also created new races to re-stock their worshippers after the destructive Primeval period. Ultimately, though, the true native sentients of this planet proved most adaptable, prolific, and best suited to surviving here, and so outlasted or supplanted their more alien or specialized rivals.

Well, the Valdorian Age is the lowest-magic period in the time line before "real-world" history begins. Most of the supernatural beings have already died off or withdrawn from the Earth by then, and what magic is left generally isn't competitive with Turakian or Atlantean precedents, let alone the superheroic era.

OTOH according to VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent, Nama and his kin had their origins during the Valdorian Age, although I don't think they had any impact on the continents of Il-Ryvas.

Getting back more on topic for a moment :P , how would people feel about bumping off Kal-Turak, but keeping Turakia more or less intact? The Ravager's mightiest lieutenants already supervise several regions of it, and with Kal-Turak gone I could see them seizing their fiefdoms in their own names, and probably fighting with each other to establish dominance. The end result could be Turakia united and as malevolent as ever, with an ambitious leader who nonetheless lacks the overwhelming power of the Ravager of Men. A definite menace, but not one that automatically puts the whole world at risk... at least no more so than Thun or Vashkor.

O yes. But I would have figured the Valdorian Age. I can't remember one element that's carried over from there' date=' but I may just have not been paying attention. :)[/quote']

The Valdorian Setting has very little, but it directly parallels the Atlantean Age. In fact during the Valdorian Age, Atlantis is on the rise (on the opposite side of the globe) so that when the Atlantean Age comes about Valdoria is a barren land of nothing and the PCs can embark on epic fantasy on the other side of the globe.

Getting back more on topic for a moment :P ' date=' how would people feel about bumping off Kal-Turak, but keeping Turakia more or less intact? The Ravager's mightiest lieutenants already supervise several regions of it, and with Kal-Turak gone I could see them seizing their fiefdoms in their own names, and probably fighting with each other to establish dominance. The end result could be Turakia united and as malevolent as ever, with an ambitious leader who nonetheless lacks the overwhelming power of the Ravager of Men. A definite menace, but not one that automatically puts the whole world at risk... at least no more so than Thun or Vashkor.[/quote']

I like that idea.

And it's worst for the superheroes -- everything they accomplish comes to naught in 2020 or so.

You know, I just noticed this line, and it strikes me (and I mean no disrespect to Susano for this) that it also cuts to the heart of some people's problems with the official Turakian era. Sure, after 2020 superheroes will no longer have their powers, can no longer protect the world in the same flashy way they once did... but does that negate all the good they did before? All the people they helped, the lives that were saved through their efforts?

Similarly, in defeating Kal-Turak -- whether you choose to run that as described in the official timeline, or kill him earlier as suggested here -- the heroes are assuring that millions of people, over thousands of years, can live free and safe from the menace of the Ravager of Men. And even though the ultimate otherthrow of the reborn Takofanes destroyed the Turakian civilization, as a result he was sealed harmlessly away for nearly seventy millennia, while mankind rebuilt their world. Are those really such small accomplishments?

To paraphrase Gandalf, it's for the people of the future to deal with the evils of the future. All we can do today is try to overcome the evils we know, so they won't live on to plague our descendants.

You know' date=' I just noticed this line, and it strikes me (and I mean no disrespect to Susano for this) that it also cuts to the heart of some people's problems with the official Turakian era. Sure, after 2020 superheroes will no longer have their powers, can no longer protect the world in the same flashy way they once did... but does that negate all the good they did before? All the people they helped, the lives that were saved through their efforts?[/quote']

In some ways, no, but others yes. Suppose a superhero used his powers to create life-saving devices, there's a good chance those won't work come 2020 or so. How about Millennium City? Is all of that technology "real" or is some of it "super-tech"? And what happens when there's no more super?

Personally - that's for published materials to care about. Once I start my campaign I have, by virtue of simply starting the campaign, diverged from published words and can do whatever the heck I want. If a published bit of whatever bothers me there's no gestapo who will stop me. Any kind of sheep-like blind adhereance to "cannon" by virtue of published materials gets everything it deserves.

Kal-Turak lives or dies. The Turakian Age ends in violence for millennia or peacefully declines into nothing. 2020 comes and goes with or without incident. The Mandragalore causes the Cataclysm or Atlantis just sinks because Poseidon liked it better that way. Kind of irrelevant what the books say.

...Here is an interesting thought - Valdoria is actually the remnants of the last empire of the Turakian Age that came out of a relatively non-apocalyptic fall of Kal-Turak.

All valid points, and of course individual campaigns can and should vary from published precedents in whatever way a game group will have the most fun. :) However, some people do want to work within the official time line, whether for time-travel potential, a source of concepts to carry forward into games set in later eras, or just OCD. ;) I think it's useful to exchange ideas on how to jigger the time line in ways some folks might prefer, without having to throw it out altogether.

Personally - that's for published materials to care about. Once I start my campaign I have, by virtue of simply starting the campaign, diverged from published words and can do whatever the heck I want. If a published bit of whatever bothers me there's no gestapo who will stop me. Any kind of sheep-like blind adhereance to "cannon" by virtue of published materials gets everything it deserves.

Kal-Turak lives or dies. The Turakian Age ends in violence for millennia or peacefully declines into nothing. 2020 comes and goes with or without incident. The Mandragalore causes the Cataclysm or Atlantis just sinks because Poseidon liked it better that way. Kind of irrelevant what the books say.

...Here is an interesting thought - Valdoria is actually the remnants of the last empire of the Turakian Age that came out of a relatively non-apocalyptic fall of Kal-Turak.

GA -- I agree totally.

My comment(s) were based around those people who follow the official/canon timeline closely.

Now I want to play a Valdorian Age campaign where the PCs explore the ruins of a Turakian Age Empire and discover many items and magics of wonder. . . . Dang I hate it when I have awesome ideas I can't play.

That is indeed both awesome and frustrating; but at least putting it up here may inspire someone else. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm starting to wonder how much of the Sunless Realms survived Takofanes' fall... if you're running a VA campaign' date=' you might not even need to leave Il-Ryvas.[/quote']

Just a small part - it's now called R'lyeh and inhabited by even more monstrous and unpleasant things. :D

• 1 year later...

O yes. But I would have figured the Valdorian Age. I can't remember one element that's carried over from there' date=' but I may just have not been paying attention. :)[/quote']

Even though it isn't explicitly stated in The Valdorian Age or Hidden Lands, it seems very likely that the Silyssen from TVA were the ancestors of the Lemurians. Both are reptilian shape-changers, and the pre-Lemurians were supposed to have arisen during the Valdorian Age. And Allen Thomas wrote the backgrounds for both. ;)