my version of "Combat Luck"...

fwcain

This is how I'll permit characters to have the "Talent"/(Power) called Combat Luck, which I'll call "It Just Grazed Me".

Base Power: Armor (1 DEF for 3 pts.). Note that this defense is subject to any max. DEF for campaign. So if the campaign's limit is a total of 10 DEF, then if your PC has this power at 4 DEF, then he cannot wear any armor better than 6 DEF (for 10 DEF total)...

Use the following Limitations:

• Must be aware of attack (effectively includes the "Non-Persistent" Limit; -1/2)
    Note that TUMA lists this Limitation as being worth -1/4 for Damage Reduction, but since "Must be aware of attack" is more limiting than "Not Persistent" I'm increasing the value of "Must be aware of attack" to -1/2.
  • Restrainable (must be able to dodge/avoid attack; -1/2)
  • Minimum result of 1 BODY suffered (i.e.: no matter how much DEF you buy, you're still going to get scratched; -1/2)

Total Limits comes to -1.5, giving a Final Cost of 1.2 points per DEF of protection.

Feedback shamelessly solicited! ;)

Franklin

Re: my version of "Combat Luck"...

This is how I'll permit characters to have the "Talent"/(Power) called Combat Luck, which I'll call "It Just Grazed Me".

Base Power: Armor (1 DEF for 3 pts.). Note that this defense is subject to any max. DEF for campaign. So if the campaign's limit is a total of 10 DEF, then if your PC has this power at 4 DEF, then he cannot wear any armor better than 6 DEF (for 10 DEF total)...

• Must be aware of attack (effectively includes the "Non-Persistent" Limit; -1/2)
    Note that TUMA lists this Limitation as being worth -1/4 for Damage Reduction, but since "Must be aware of attack" is more limiting than "Not Persistent" I'm increasing the value of "Must be aware of attack" to -1/2.
  • Minimum result of 1 BODY suffered (i.e.: no matter how much DEF you buy, you're still going to get scratched; -1/2)

Total Limits comes to -1.5, giving a Final Cost of 1.2 points per DEF of protection.

Franklin

1 DEF armor costs 1.5 points, so I assume you mean 1 PD and 1 ED purchased together. I think that's the way most people would buy Combat Luck anyway.

To clarify, does the minimum 1 BOD suffered apply even if the character is wearing other armor? Using your example, a character wearing 6 DEF armor and having 4 points Combat Luck is hit by an attack which does 5 BOD. Does he take 1 BOD (due to the limitation) or does his 6 DEF armor absorb the blow? I'm assuming the latter, but it should be clarified.

Rather than impose a "you can't wear armor heavier than" restriction, what about a limitation on the Combat Luck itself that it cannot increase total DEf over the campaign limit? You'd need to customize that limit by campaign, of course.

1 DEF armor costs 1.5 points' date=' so I assume you mean 1 PD and 1 ED purchased together. I think that's the way most people would buy Combat Luck anyway.[/quote']Yes, you are correct. (I was lazy.)

To clarify' date=' does the minimum 1 BOD suffered apply even if the character is wearing other armor? Using your example, a character wearing 6 DEF armor and having 4 points Combat Luck is hit by an attack which does 5 BOD. Does he take 1 BOD (due to the limitation) or does his 6 DEF armor absorb the blow? I'm assuming the latter, but it should be clarified.[/quote']If "It Just Grazed Me" was the only Armor he had, then the limit comes into play. If he was wearing a suit of armor in addition to having this power, then if and only if that extra armor wasn't enough to completely soak up the BODY damage would he suffer the limit from my power write-up. So, in your example, with "It Just Grazed Me" at 4 PD/ED, and wearing armor with 6 PD/ED, a damage of 5 BODY would be totally absorbed by the armor. Here are two other examples...

Example: Tough Guy has "It Just Grazed Me" at 6 PD/ED and is wearing heavy leather biker's jacket and jeans (4 PD/ED Armor, OIF). He gets knifed for 7 BODY. The leather jacket takes off the first 4 BODY, leaving 3 BODY for "It Just Grazed Me," which means he takes 1 BODY (the min. for the power).

Another Example: Tough Guy has "It Just Grazed Me" at 6 PD/ED, but this time, he is not wearing any armor. If he gets knifed for any amount of BODY in the range of 1 to 7 BODY, he suffers just 1 BODY. In the case of 6 or less BODY, he takes the minimum; in the case of precisely 7 BODY, the 6 DEF reduces this to the minimum; and in the case of 8 or more BODY, he reduces that by -6 BODY...

Does that make sense?

Franklin

Instead of restricting the armor they can wear, could add a campaign rule about the max Def - if your armor + "JGM" defense is above the limit, the "JGM" defense is reduced sufficiently to return you to the limit as long as the armor is worn.

So, if campaign limit of 10, and have 4 JGM def, and put on def 8 armor, your JGM is reduced by 2 def leaving you with a total of 10. When you take the armor off, your JGM goes back up to 4.

And here's MY version of "Combat Luck"...

Usually called something like "I'm a Tough Guy" on my character sheets.

Damage Resistance (3PD/3ED) (3 Active Points) Does not stop 1st Point of BOD damage of killing attacks (-1/2) Does not "stack" - if wearing armor, or using other resistant defenses, only one or the other applies (-1/2) Real cost: 1

Maybe I should consider adding "restrainable."

Lucius Alexander

Redefining the palindromedary as a talent

Franklin

That's very similar to the way I handle it. I keep it nonpersistant rather than "must be aware" (since when do you have to be aware of the potential dange to luckily avoid it?) and don't use the Minimum Result Lim. The final result has the same cost as in the book, but with Restrainable I can list whatever actually keeps the Power from working for that specific character. For one, it might be luck, so anything where dumb luck or chance is taken out of the equasion, the Power automatically fails. For another character, it might be a reflexes trick, in which case it's reduced if the character's DCV or ability to move is reduced. For another it might be a combinitation of being aware of the attack and able to perform some (free) action that partially deflects the attack (unable to perform that action results in no Armor). I usually rename Restrainable in these cases, calling it Luck Based, DEX Based or Must Be Aware And Able To Use Missile Deflection or something like that.