[Character Review] BRUTE

JmOz

Ok, I posted last week a character called American Spirit, well long and short of it is I decided to change the concept of the team I was doing for Fill Ins/Demos/etc... to a group of heroes who work like the old fireman brigades, not a real team, just a group of guys who work together when the need is great. The sample I will be posting is a guy called BRUTE

Brute

Player:

Val Char Cost

15/75 STR 5

20 DEX 30

15/35 CON 10

12/15 BODY 4

28 INT 18

14 EGO 8

13/20 PRE 3

14 COM 2

5/30 PD 2

5/30 ED 2

4 SPD 10

6/25 REC 0

30/70 END 0

25/70 STUN -3

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3"/25" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost Power

2 MD (5 points total)

7 Regeneration: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

Brute Form, all slots OIHID (-1/4)

60 1) +60 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points)

32 2) +20 CON (40 Active Points)

5 3) +3 BODY (6 Active Points)

2 4) +3 PD (3 Active Points)

9 5) +11 ED (11 Active Points)

5 6) +3 REC (6 Active Points)

2 7) +2 STUN

6 8) +7 PRE (7 Active Points)

8 9) Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) (10 Active Points)

30 10) Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points)

8 11) Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points)

4 12) Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)

4 13) LoW (-5) for Normal Defense (5 Active Points)

16 14) Leaping +10" (3"/25" forward, 1 1/2"/12 1/2" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (20 Active Points)

7 15) LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (9 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 207

Cost Skill

4 +2 With Punch

3 Acting 12- (13-)

3 Breakfall 13-

0 CK: Biloxi, MS 8-

0 Climbing 8-

0 Combat Driving 8-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

3 Deduction 15-

0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 PS: Doctor 11-

3 Inventor 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

0 Persuasion 8-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Anatamoy (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Biology (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Genetics (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Medicine (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Pharmacology (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 6) SS: Surgery (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

0 Shadowing 8-

0 Stealth 8-

0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 34

Cost Perk

4 Fringe Benefit: Membership: Irregulars, Security Clearance

9 Reputation: Dangerous, Stupid Brick (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6

Perks Cost: 13

Cost Talent

5 Eidetic Memory

Talents Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Accidental Change: When Knocked Out Always (Uncommon)

15 DNPC: Janet Marrins, Nurse, Girl Friend 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Warlord & the Warmachine 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Psych. Lim.: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psych. Lim.: Enjoys Practical Jokes (Common, Moderate)

20 Psych. Lim.: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)

15 Reputation: Stupid Brick, 14-

15 Soc. Lim.: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Quick Background: Dr Bixby was a brilliant scientist, looking for a way to heal people of bodily injury. While working late one night Viper attacked, during the attack he was mortaly wounded, in a act of desperation he tried the sereum he had been working on.

He felt his body changing, he was strong, powerful, these clowns in green ment nothing to him, he beat them soundly.

That was the first time brute was seen

Appearence: Brute looks like a neanderthal man, big, harry,etc...

Powers: Dr David Bixby, As the Brute he posseses super human strength & Durability. It should be noted that the regeneration power works in either form

personality as the brute Dr Bixby likes to play up the "Stupid Brick" his neanderthal apearance suggests, speaking in short sentances and refering to himself in the third person. In truth he is a brilliant surgeon, and genius in a number of fields of medical science. At first he kept his intelegence a secret from his own teammates, but over the six months the secret has come out to them. The world at large still thinks of him in the same catagory of Grond, but leased by his teammates...

Re: [Character Review] BRUTE

Ohh, one other thing, to state the overly obvious, this character is an homage to the incredible Hulk...Dr David Bixby...Should be fairly obvious, but don't want someone going "isn't he alot like the hulk"...well du'oh

The background on the character is kind of limited, but 15's STR and CON, as well as a 20 DEX seem pretty impressive for a scientist type. Those are the kind of stats I tend to expect on soldiers, martial artist, athletes and other people with rather physical professions or hobbies. So, I would ask: Was Dr. Bixby always such an imposing physical specimen and if so why? Or did the serum change his normal form too an extent (other then the regen obviously)? Or has he simply been training himself rigorously since he became a hero?

One fact missing from the character sheet is the manner in which he activates OIHID (more specifically, how it can be prevented and/or shut down - I wouldn't count the Accidental Change given he gets disad points for that already).

The background on the character is kind of limited' date=' but 15's STR and CON, as well as a 20 DEX seem pretty impressive for a scientist type. Those are the kind of stats I tend to expect on soldiers, martial artist, athletes and other people with rather physical professions or hobbies. So, I would ask: Was Dr. Bixby always such an imposing physical specimen and if so why? Or did the serum change his normal form too an extent (other then the regen obviously)? Or has he simply been training himself rigorously since he became a hero?[/quote']

Had not thought about that yet honestly, I would say that he was always above average (11-13) but that after his accident he became moreso...

One fact missing from the character sheet is the manner in which he activates OIHID (more specifically' date=' how it can be prevented and/or shut down - I wouldn't count the Accidental Change given he gets disad points for that already).[/quote']

I normaly just use the 4th edition version of OIHID (I consider it a reasonable limitation), but for those who want 5th edition compliant add: "It takes a phase to change and during the change he is at 1/2 DCV"

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of KB Resistance. Assuming a 15 dice campaign (as your STR is 75), you are gonna spend alot of phases standing up and returning to the combat. An average hit is gonna send you around 8 hexes each time. You can use your STR to resist KB but it costs you half your DCV and a half-phase action (i.e. not woth it in most circumnstances).

I would suggest a minimum of 10" of KB Resistance, to make sure only above average (for a 15 dice campaign) attacks can send you flying.

David Bixby... cute.

Seems like a fairly straight-up brick, in one sense.

I do note (like I do with every OIHID character) that the OIHID is saving Dr. Bixby a lot of character points in top of his Secret ID; I assume that means it will come up fairly often?

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of KB Resistance. Assuming a 15 dice campaign (as your STR is 75), you are gonna spend alot of phases standing up and returning to the combat. An average hit is gonna send you around 8 hexes each time. You can use your STR to resist KB but it costs you half your DCV and a half-phase action (i.e. not woth it in most circumnstances).

I would suggest a minimum of 10" of KB Resistance, to make sure only above average (for a 15 dice campaign) attacks can send you flying.

He's actualy a die over guidlines (I don't use caps as much as ranges, he bottoms out for speed and is low on CV)

However your KB suggestion is good, think I will remove the LoW, Flash Defence Hearing, reduce Flash DEfence Sight & Leaping by 5 points

David Bixby... cute.

Seems like a fairly straight-up brick, in one sense.

I do note (like I do with every OIHID character) that the OIHID is saving Dr. Bixby a lot of character points in top of his Secret ID; I assume that means it will come up fairly often?

It will come up...

Glad you like the name

It will come up...

Glad you like the name

I'm going to threadjack a little, and hope this does not descend into a flaming OIHID spiral:

Ok, just on an eyeballing, Bill Banner here is saving over 30 character points, over and above the 15 for Secret ID, for the OIHID limitation.

Speaking from a purely mechanic-y perspective, 30 pts. is the equivalent of a big hunted, or a "psychotic cripple" psych. lim., or a "takes damage from being alive" sort of vulnerability.

I like OIHID concepts, stuff like classic Thor, or Sentai Teams, etc., but I have to admit I find OIHID tough to balance in actual sessions. In one sense, it's a super-intense form of Secret ID, but based on character conceptions, it often roleplays out to be an advantage, particularly when the character has a near-Instant transformation that can be triggered at will.

How do you all keep OIHID characters "balanced" compared to the rest of the group?

I'm going to threadjack a little, and hope this does not descend into a flaming OIHID spiral:

I like OIHID concepts, stuff like classic Thor, or Sentai Teams, etc., but I have to admit I find OIHID tough to balance in actual sessions. In one sense, it's a super-intense form of Secret ID, but based on character conceptions, it often roleplays out to be an advantage, particularly when the character has a near-Instant transformation that can be triggered at will.

How do you all keep OIHID characters "balanced" compared to the rest of the group?

Their OIHID has to come up now and again, such that those OIHID powers aren't available. Billy can't speak the magic word, Tony can't get to the armor in his briefcase, Don's walking stick is knocked well away from him.

The player is well advised to ensure the character can do something even when outside his hero ID.

Ok, just on an eyeballing, Bill Banner here is saving over 30 character points, over and above the 15 for Secret ID, for the OIHID limitation.

Speaking from a purely mechanic-y perspective, 30 pts. is the equivalent of a big hunted, or a "psychotic cripple" psych. lim., or a "takes damage from being alive" sort of vulnerability.

Looking at my characters in the Five thread, four have some OIHID powers. All four can be prevented from changing into their Hero IDs by having a focus taken from them. Seconding Hugh, this is how I normally handle OIHID for heroes or villains; there's always a way to prevent the character from assuming his Hero ID, and as a GM you need to occasionally enforce that. It's also a good idea to require Hero ID characters to take at least a full phase to change, and not to allow them to abort to their Hero IDs.

Many limits are meaningless unless the GM steps in and enforces them. This is a case where the player giving the limit to his character is saying "Sometimes, I'd like to be stuck in my civillian ID without powers."

Guest WhammeWhamme

OIHID should be a physical limitation rather than a Power Limitation. It should also take at least 2 phases to change so that the character can't abort to it.

I agree it should be a physical limitation.

I disagree about the two phases thing. If it's a physical limitation, and it's abortable, then that simply downgrades how big a disadvantage it is.

Then again, I think we could scrap limitations altogether...

...except for one small problem. HERO players.

2 1) SS: Anatomy (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Genetics (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Medicine (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Pharmacology (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

Pharmacology and Medicine are something like a 95% overlap. Anatomy and Biology are closely related. Genetics is way out by itself having nothing to do with the others. Surgery likewise is just being clever and delicate at cutting things up. You can ditch medicine, add say, Virology or Immunology perhaps. Doesn't fit with the rest very tightly as it's more of a DEX based skill based on anatomical knowledge.

I think you can modify these and add a couple of skills, like Biotechnology to augment Genetics and Biology.

Some revisions

Brute

Player: NPC/Fill In/Demo

Val Char Cost

15/75 STR 5

20 DEX 30

15/35 CON 10

11/15 BODY 2

28 INT 18

14 EGO 8

13/20 PRE 3

14/6 COM 2

5/30 PD 2

5/30 ED 2

4 SPD 10

6/25 REC 0

30/70 END 0

25/75 STUN -2

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3"/20" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Power

2 MD (5 points total)

7 Regeneration: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

Brute Form, all slots OIHID (-1/4)

48 1) +60 STR (60 Active Points)

32 2) +20 CON (40 Active Points)

6 3) +4 BODY (8 Active Points)

2 4) +3 PD (3 Active Points)

9 5) +11 ED (11 Active Points)

5 6) +3 REC (6 Active Points)

5 7) +6 STUN (6 Active Points)

6 8) +7 PRE (7 Active Points)

-3 9) -8 COM (-4 Active Points)

16 10) Knockback Resistance -10" (20 Active Points)

8 11) Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) (10 Active Points)

30 12) Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points)

4 13) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)

8 14) Leaping +5" (3"/20" forward, 1 1/2"/10" upward) (Accurate) (10 Active Points)

23 15) LS (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (29 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 208

Cost Skill

4 +2 With Punch

3 Acting 12- (13-)

3 Breakfall 13-

0 CK: Biloxi, MS 8-

0 Climbing 8-

0 Combat Driving 8-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

3 Deduction 15-

0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 PS: Doctor 11-

3 Inventor 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

0 Persuasion 8-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Anatamoy (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Biotechnology (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Genetics (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Medicine (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

2 7) SS: Virology (INT-based) 15- (3 Active Points)

0 Shadowing 8-

0 Stealth 8-

0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 36

Cost Perk

5 Fringe Benefit: License to practice Medicine, Membership: Irregulars, Security Clearance

6 Reputation: Dangerous, Stupid Brick (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent

5 Eidetic Memory

Talents Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Accidental Change: When Knocked Out Always (Uncommon)

15 DNPC: Janet Marrins, Nurse, Girl Friend 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Warlord & the Warmachine 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Psych. Lim.: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psych. Lim.: Enjoys Practical Jokes (Common, Moderate)

20 Psych. Lim.: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)

15 Reputation: Stupid Brick, 14-

15 Soc. Lim.: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0