Little things to speed up the game:

JmOz

Just give idease, and comment on others:

One of mine is that I roll all the combat dice in one throw:

I use some smaller than normal dice for damage, I roll three normal sized for the to hit, and if I need it I have a Black die I use for the stun multiplier and a green I use for 1/2 die

I throw them all together, If I hit I add up the damage, saves time

Well in all blasphomy of the game I have thrown out the speed chracteristic completly every player/significant baddy has 1 action every three seconds. If the players want their characters to have more actions each one simply takes a -2 (for each) penalty to all rolls. So "QuickNslick" with 30 dex wants four attacks he makes all rolls at -6. I have found it to be quite simple and it works for me.

But unlike the normal sweep manuever a chracter can still move a half move. (I still hit on the DCV penalty though.

When I am GMing I come to the game with all my villains' damages already prerolled. That way I just roll to-hit and cross off whichever damage roll for that attack is at the top of my list. Cuts combat time by 50%. I stole that idea from someone on these message boards, so whomever it was, thanks. :)

Here are some ideas that I have used in the past.

1) Hit locations. For most purposes, the optional 2d6+1 system works fine. When you throw the dice, have one die a different color than the other two. Use the two dice for Hit Location. Obviously only useful if you use Hit Locations.

2) Skill rolls. Have the players roll up about twenty generic skill rolls (3d6, no mods). When it comes time for a skill, just add whatever skill levels or other mods as necessary. As an alternate, roll about five to ten of the most often used skills and ten generic skill rolls.

3) In combat, use thugs wisely. Define them as having a hit tolerance. Most people, especially the hired help, won't fight to the death. They will run far before that. One or two hits is usually sufficient to dissuade all but the most stalwart opponent. Besides speeding things up, the players will sit back and take notice when the fanatical cultists don't run away.

Pre roll anything that you can.

3d6 rolls are used a LOT, so get a bunch of those done.

Also, for any weapons that the PCs or NPCs have, pre roll those as well at least 30 or so times.

I would recommend a dice roller or spreadsheet program. There's a link to a dice roller under the 'free stuff' section IIRC. If you decide to use a spreadsheet, I recommend QuattroPro. Excel works good also, but QP works better for random numbers.

In either case, just print them up. Then ANY time a die roll is needed, just take the next one off the list, and cross it off. Saves a HUGE amount of time.

I've modified the "average roll" bit from 5E, with great results. I will (almost) always allow a player the option of taking an "average roll" on any dice roll. Average is defined as 11 on a 3d6 skill-type roll, or 3.5 per die (round down) on a damage-type roll. So if the player knows his character will hit Joe Thug with an average roll, he can take the 11 with impunity, then he can opt for average damage to the chest and save half a minute of time and calculation. Those half-a-minutes make all the difference in the world.

-AA