Simplifying Power Construction?

First and foremost, don't get me wrong -- I really like the hero system when it comes to superheroic adventure. But, unless I have a computer program to keep track of the math, I have trouble constructing powers beyond the basics. So, I have an idea on how to simplify the process.

Aside from fixed cost powers, which I haven't had time to consider, most powers are bought in levels of effect for 5, 10 or 15 points per level. So what if advantages and disadvantages added or subtracted points per level rather than get lumped together for a "mass multiplication and division orgy" at the end of the process?

For example, take a standard Energy Blast at 5 points per level (or die) of effect. Now, let's say we tack on the Armor Piercing advantage (+1/2) and the Reduced By Range (-1/4) disadvantage onto it. Under the rules, I believe that the final cost for this 1d6 EB would be (5 x (1 + 0.5)) / 1.25 = 6 points per level of effect or d6.

Under my idea, the advantages would add points per level while the disadvantages would subtract points per level. My idea (at this point) is to essentially adjust the cost per level by 1 point for every 1/4 of advantage or limitation in the modifer. Thus, Armor Piercing becomes a +2 points per level modifier, while Reduced By Range becomes a -1 points per level modifier. For our example above, the math becomes 5 + 2 - 1 = 6 points per level, times the number of levels of effect (or dice in this case).

Admittedly, it's not perfect as the more expensive powers would not be adjusted as much as lower cost powers. Also, I'm still thinking on how fixed cost powers could be adjusted by such a system. However, for a fast play game with simplified rules, it could be a quick and easy way to build characters.

Matt "Just-an-idea-I've-had" Frisbee

Re: Simplifying Power Construction?

That Armor Piercing Penetrating Killing Attack is looking a lot more affordable at 19 points per die, dropping from 30. An NND KA that DOES BOD seems remarkably inexpensive at 23 points per die rather than 45.

OTOH, that KA that has Reduced Range is hardly worth limiting at 14 points per die - maybe I'll make it a Dispel at 2 points per die instead. Slap on OIHID and Not in intense magnetci fields, and voila - it's free!

That Armor Piercing Penetrating Killing Attack is looking a lot more affordable at 19 points per die, dropping from 30. An NND KA that DOES BOD seems remarkably inexpensive at 23 points per die rather than 45.

OTOH, that KA that has Reduced Range is hardly worth limiting at 14 points per die - maybe I'll make it a Dispel at 2 points per die instead. Slap on OIHID and Not in intense magnetci fields, and voila - it's free!

Hugh, I may well have misunderstood, but I thought the costs were really per DC, as I think a level can only be a DC, so the cost for the AP Penetrating Killing would be +6 for AP and +6 for Penetrating, so 27 per 1d6 RKA. Still cheaper. In a high-powered campaign this gets really cheap, in a lower-powered campaign it might work.

PS - agree with KS, Gary is the math master

Yeah, I kinda figured it was just me. BTW, I DO have the software, but was just looking for a shorthanding system so I could do it on the fly (since I have to make characters for most of my players anyway).

I guess I'll have to look at the New Millennium rules again...

Matt "Always-causing-trouble" Frisbee

Okay, I am a nerd who loves the math, so I am not totally relating here, but I do have times where I want to build a character on the fly without having to do all the accounting (that kind of slows gameplay down). Most often I just grab another character already written up for this purpose but I invariably need to add or adjust a power or two. So do this:

Don't worry about the point cost.

Just a quick judgement call on the utility of the power to make sure it isn't over the top, and then run with it. You can calculate the points later. If it turns out to be way more expensive than you anticipated, figure out why and adjust the power as needed (remove a superfluous Advantage, tack on a couple more Limitations, whatever). You're the GM, man! You can do anything you want! :)

"The fiction in her family was that she was never nice.

I'd say she was very, I just did not see the price." - S. Vega