Steve, FH in hard cover?

Melchior777

My local gaming store owner suggested this when he saw the size of my FH folder. I think it would be worth the extra cost to have FH in hard cover, especially considering the page count. If not in hard cover, then maybe three hole punched like the old Rolemaster books used to come.

You can take it to Kinko's and have the spiral bind it. it should work well, providing FH is made of fairly thick paper. I did this with my 40K rulebook. Being that it was quite big, worked really well.

If the bind on my copy of FRED wears out that's most likely what I'll do.

I would buy hardcover, personally, however, there is an issue. HERO can't make money on a hardcover book that size at $31.99. They would have to charge $50 (probably) to do that and then people wouldn't buy as many due to the cost.

My opinion is, I buy it for the contents, and if the binding falls apart from over-use, then I can buy another (I'm sure that would be Steve & Co's preference:D ) or I can spiral bind it, 3 hole punch it, or whatever to make it work.

Like I said, I would buy a $50 hardcover version over a $32 softcover, but I would think that I am in the minority.

Course, you could always do what White Wolf did and put out hardcover "special edition" versions of the book and put them at really high prices. I don't know how well those sold, though.

Nightshade

Originally posted by Nightshade

I would buy hardcover, personally, however, there is an issue. HERO can't make money on a hardcover book that size at $31.99. They would have to charge $50 (probably) to do that and then people wouldn't buy as many due to the cost.

Nightshade

Don't know if it would be that much or not. It think the page count is close to FRED. It would be a nice option either buying the HB or SB version. It comes down to a Hero/DOJ deciding on rather it's worth the expense. Steve has stated it isn't, so if we want more than a SB it's up to us to do something when we buy our copies.

I'll most likely have mine spiral bound, I've had good luck with it so far.

Doubt It

Realize that lesser volume really doesn't equate to cheaper costs. Layout, design and setup of the printing system is usually the heavy cost. Number of copies is usually secondary. So even printing 100 or 500 hard bound books would be incredibly expensive. And, as you have all the FH goodness in the softbacks, it doesn't make economic sense.

Originally posted by tiger

You can take it to Kinko's and have the spiral bind it. it should work well

I did this with one of my copies of H5E, and I love it. It was dirt cheap (about $5.00 for them to cut off the original binding and coil bind it) and now I have a spiffy FREd that I can lay flat on the table. :)

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I did this with one of my copies of H5E, and I love it. It was dirt cheap (about $5.00 for them to cut off the original binding and coil bind it) and now I have a spiffy FREd that I can lay flat on the table. :)

Did you keep the hard covers or have it boound with out them?

When FRED first appeared I heard and read what Derek Hiemforth did to his copy of FRED and it inpired me to try it. I bought a second copy of FRED, took it to Office Max and had them cut off the binding and then spiral bind it without the hard covers. (I had them color copy the front and back covers and laminate them and that is what is the front and back cover of my book.)

It has held out very well, and is a great so you need a copy of FRED let me loan you this.

It is an expensive proposition and it does feel a little blasphemous, but it works.

Originally posted by tiger

depends if the damaged goods is only the cover. IF the insides are misprinted then the spiral bind could cover necessary info

I got to see the 'damaged goods' section at DunDraCon. The damage is all cosmetic - and in fact a brand new, pristine book would become just as damaged after one con weekend. I thihnk my friends TUV had a slight bend/dent on the top left corner of the book - as if you dropped it onto the floor.