StarCraft HERO

r_callen

Guys~

Okay, first post on any HERO forum, so bear with me :)

For starters, I'll let you know my background with HERO. I've owned it for three days. A very big wow to Steve Long and the rest of the crew for everything they've done- I've been reading and can see its potential. This is where my questions come in...

I also purchased Star HERO with the original book because my gaming group has always been interested in playing in the StarCraft universe (FYI- Starcraft is a PC game produced by Blizzard and is still pretty fun; based in space with 3 major races[human, an insect-like race, and an advanced alien race]). Has anyone attempted to put StarCraft in HERO terms? I'm going to put a lot of work into trying to make it work and was hoping I could look at other's ideas on how this would convert into HERO.

Thats about it. An inexperienced HERO GM with big ideas for a campaign of his own. Wish me luck (and a lot of time to read).

Charles

Well, first off, welcome to the fold. We never bite until you have reached at least 100 posts, so you are quite safe here. :)

Secondly, I am sorry to say that I have no knowledge that I can share with you about the StarCraft universe. I wish I did. I am sure some others will be along in the next few days to fill in my gaps though. Just hang tight. They are out there, somewhere. :)

I have currently put all my social activities on hold because I am playing StarCraft and BroodWars - dang Blizzard! :)

As for using it as a setting, I am not sure how well it would translate. I am sure you can though. For those who don't know it, just take the movie Starship Troopers and add in a third, high-tech Force Field using race of aliens. So, I'd say if no one has done StarCraft, I am sure there are one or two Starship Troopers conversions SOMEONE has done.

And welcome to the group.

Guys~

First, thanks for the welcome. I feel all warm and fuzzy :P Seriously, tho, very friendly board.

As far as Starship Troopers goes, that would be awesome. If anyone has that, please let me know via post so I can use it! As far as using the Starcraft universe as a starting point for a campaign, I purchased the Alternity version of SC and am using that as a base of operations... of course I can't *find* the stupid boxed set now so I'm having to wing it.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I'll be around!

Charles

Alas, if I only had a playstation! :( I wish that Blizzard hadn't chosen to make that a platform-only game, but I'm sure they had their reasons. For now I'm saving $$ to pick up Ultimate Vehicle and Fantasy Hero (when it gets here). Oh, BTW so I don't have to make a new post- would you recommend purchasing Ninja Hero or Ult. Martial Arts first? I don't have either and looked at both and am a little confused as to their roles in the HERO world. Just a wonder.

Charles

Welcome aboard! From a fellow 'convert this world setting to HERO' person, I wish you all the luck! Its been a long time since I played StarCraft. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

As for next book recommendations, I'd have to say get the Until Super Power Database. I think it will help you more than either NH or UMA will at this early stage of the game. Of course, get Spacer's Toolkit first if thats there too. More helpful for a sci-fi game.

Aroooo

Welcome aboard Charles!

I don't envy the task you've set for yourself, but I do envy your players. SC is an awesome setting, lemmie give some hints off the top of my head...

Protoss:

Read the rules on Force Wall and Force Field very closely, these guys use this stuff in spades. Also look closely at the Ablative disadvantage which might simulate the "he shot my shield off" effect very well. (although it's a rules "no-no", a Force Field could be simulated by buying extra BODY and a small amount of Regeneration to "recharge it")

Also, read up on Teleportation and learn what you can and cannot do with the basic power. Then, come back here and ask us how you can get around those limitations...(remember: LOS means Line_Of_Sight)

Templars are Psychic beings so read pages 251 to 257 of Star Hero for examples of how to make Psionic powers. You can also use the Images power to simulate the illusions they can create. Also look at the Area Effect advantage to help make the "Psionic Storm" attack. When they combine to create an Archon you can simulate that with Multiform or Summon.

Dark Templar are Invisible to the Sight sense, but are visible to the Radar (radio) sense. Check pages 105 and 123 in the 5E book to see what I mean.

Check page 28 in Star Hero and think about using the Warrior Cultural Package Deal for the Protoss. It seems to suit them rather well.

Terrans:

Star Hero should have most of what you need here. For Ghost characters see the hints I gave for Templars and Dark Templars, the same should apply. Use the Entagle Power to simulte their Lockdown ability, limit it to work only against mechanical units.

Goliath's are piloted robotic weapons, read the all too brief section on Mecha in SH page 205 for advice on building one. Carefully read the vehicle rules beginning on page 314 in 5E to see how to build one of my favorite units. :)

If you have a Science Vessel use the Dispel power for the EMP that destroys Protoss Force Fields. Drain Body works best for the Irridate attack against Zerg. Force Wall with the Usable By Other advantage (5E page 176) for the "Energy Shiled(?)" ability. Give all Terran units Radar sense that's only active when they are near Science Vessels, Turrets or other Radar detection equipment (and limit its range to the maximum range of the detecting unit)[Man, I love Science Vessels too!]

Zerg:

Wow, these guys are gonna be nasty...

All Zerg have Regenerate. Give all their units a level or two of Regeneration.

Zerg that Burrow should buy the power Tunneling and the power Invisibility linked to it. Limit the power so the Zerg cannot move while underground AND make it visible to Radar.

Zerglings have extra inches of running and a single Hand-to-Hand Killing Attack. Hydralisks(?) are tougher than the Zerglings (extra BODY and some Armor) and spit acid (Ranged Killing Attack). Mutalisks(?) are bigger (more BODY) have wings (Flight) and hit multiple targets every time they attack (Selective Area of Effect). Lurkers(?) can attack while Burrowed (Area Effect: Line).

Queens use Summon linked to a Ranged Killing Attack when they "Spawn"(?). Queens use Clairsentice with Sight when they "Infect"(?) another unit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about all I got off hand. I hope that helps you get started. Keep us appraised of your progress and feel free to ask ANY and ALL questions you have. We tend to be a fairly friendly bunch, someone around here is always willing to help. Good Luck.

Agent333~

Thank you so much- that was exactly the thing I was looking for and needed. Being so new to the game I honestly didn't know where to start, but this basic groundwork will help me tremendously. And trust me, I *will* be coming back and asking more Q's. ;)

Again, thanks for the info and I'll put it to good use.

Charles

Hey all, just reviving this thread. Charles (r_cullen) happens to be in San Diego, so Ive invited him to come out and play in my HEROs group (currently playing Champions). To get him jump started on his StarcraftHERO Conversion when the time comes, I suggested that he make a character similar to either the Protoss or the Terrans "under the hood"/conceptually, so that he can gain valuable experience with that archetype. See what works, what doesnt, etc.So, with that in mind we came up with the following character. This is not an 'exact conversion' of a Terran Marine by any stretch, but is in the same vein. Charles has yet to fill out all of the Disadvantages yet, so ignore that for now.The character concept is that he is a Terran Marine from sometime about 2 to 300 years further forward from a parrallel dimension. All the details have yet to be set in stone, but the basic idea is that his dimension was attacked by Istvatha V'han. His unit, among others, was dispatched to attack and if possible board vessels of V'han's galactic fleet to take the fight to them.Major Savage's personal fighter/boarding craft was winged and tumbled through one of the dimensional rifts the ships were emerging from. He slipped into the dimensional vortex, and emerged above our Earth, where he promptly crash landed. His ship is trashed, but luckily every Terran Marine carries his full complement of battle gear with him at all times; the ship has a special reenforced armored cargo hold for just that purpose. Thus he has an array of equipment he can call upon at any given time.Without further ado, here is the alpha version of Major SAVAGE!

Major Savage

Robert Savage

Val Char Cost
25 STR 15
24/16 DEX 42
25 CON 30
20 BODY 20
20 INT 10
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
8 PD 3
8 ED 3
6 SPD 26
8 REC -4
50 END 0
50 STUN 4
8" RUN 4
3" SWIM 1
6"/26" LEAP 1
Characteristics Cost: 173
attachment.php?s=&postid=85934

Cost Power END
33 Multipurpose Modular Battle Rifle: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots: (75 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
3u 1) Blaster Volley: Energy Blast 8 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 64 Charges (+1/2) (75 Active Points)
2u 2) Palm Blaster: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED) (75 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4)
2u 3) Overcharged Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. ED) (75 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1)
2u 4) Focused White Noise Pulsar: Flash 13d6 (Sight Group), Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense Group: Radio Group (75 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1)
25 Amor Suits: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots: (75 Active Points); Can only change Armor when in a lab, takes Extra Time (1 Minute) (-1), OIF Durable (-1/2), Lock Out (-1/2)
2u 1) Armored Space Suit: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 21 Real Cost) Armored Space Suit: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus Suit shielding: Life Support , Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum (8 Active Points); OIF Durable (Armored Space Suit; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) plus Air Recycler: Life Support , Self-Contained Breathing (10 Active Points); OIF Durable (Armored Flight Suit; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Sight Group Images, +/-2 to PER Roll, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (24 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (High Intensity Spotlight; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8)
2u 2) Tactcial Infantry Armor: (Total: 73 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Tactical Rigid Armor Suit: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OIF Durable (Tactical Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 25) plus Rigid Armor: -8 DEX (-24 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF Durable (Tactical Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: -12) plus Tactical Jump-Jets: Leaping +20" (5"/25" forward, 2 1/2"/12 1/2" upward) (Accurate, x16 Noncombat), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF Durable (Tactical Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 40)
2u 3) Heavy Assault Armor: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Heavy Assault Armor: Armor (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points); OIF Durable (Heavy Assault Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 30) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); OIF Durable (Heavy Assault Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); OIF Durable (Heavy Assault Armor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10)
17 Advanced Situational Awareness Helmet: (Total: 32 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Self Polarizing Visor: Flash Defense (5 points) (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (Visor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Integrated Focal Enhancers: Enhanced Perception (+2 to PER Rolls for Sight) (4 Active Points); OIF (Advanced Situational Awareness Helmet; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus 360 degree Microcamera HUD: Increased Arc Of Perception (360-Degree) (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); Concentration 1/2 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5) plus Integrated Focal Enhancers: Telescopic +2 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (3 Active Points); IIF (Helmet; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Heat-scan: Infrared Perception (5 Active Points); OIF (Helmet; -1/2), Extra Time Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (-1/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Ultra-low Light: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (Helmet; -1/2), Extra Time Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (-1/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)
80 Gear Pool: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 60 base + 20 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Very Limited (-1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2), OIF (Must take OIF; -1/2)
0 1) Comm Package: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Signal Scanner/ Micro-burst Transmiter: High Range Radio Perception (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll), Discriminatory, Sense) (24 Active Points); OIF (Comms Module; -1/2), Requires A Systems Operation Skill Roll (-1/2), Radio/Hearing (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) Real Cost: 11
0 2) Battle Screen Generator: Force Wall (9 PD/9 ED; 2" long and 1" tall), Hardened (+1/4) (59 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), OIF (Screen Generator; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Restricted Shape (Dome) (-1/4) Real Cost: 20
0 3) Flight Harness, Long Range Sustained: Flight 17", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (59 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) Real Cost: 29
Powers Cost: 170

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Terran Marine Training
3 1) Akido Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +1d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4 2) Boxing Cross: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike
4 3) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +20 STR vs. Grabs
4 4) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Three Limbs, +15 STR for holding on
4 5) Judo Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +15 STR to Disarm roll
4 6) Kung Fu Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 7) +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 27

Cost Skill
6 +2 with Gun Multipower
3 +1 with Martial Arts
1 Combat Driving 8-
3 Combat Piloting 14- (12-)
2 AK: Earths Solar System 11-
3 Navigation (Air, Space) 13-
2 Survival (Space) 13-
2 PS: Terran Marine 11-
3 Systems Operation 13-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Tactics 13-
2 TF: Science Fiction & Space Vehicles
Skills Cost: 33

Cost Perk
0 Anonymity (Not helpful)
Perks Cost: 0

Cost Talent
4 Environmental Movement (no penalties on/in Zero-G)
Talents Cost: 4

Val Disadvantages
10 Physical Limitation: Knows Little Of Earth Culture Frequently, Slightly Impairing
15 Psychological Limitation: Code Of Honor (Terran Marine) Common, Strong
15 Psychological Limitation: Overly Aggressive; Can't Show Weakness, Refuse A Challange, Or Accept Defeat Common, Strong
10 Social Limitation: Not in the System Frequently (11-), Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures
75 Custom Disadvantage
Disadvantage Points: 125
Cost Summary:Base Points:250Disadvantage Points: 125Experience Required: 32Total Experience Available: 33Total Character Cost: 407

And here is the Alpha version of his VPP. Ill add a few more items as they occur on a "that makes sense" basis, but not too many. His gadget pool will be "frozen" to the equipment he had with him when he crash landed. He can buy the lim off the VPP if he wants to start using earth equipment or can get a line on a new source of super-tech.

Cost Power END
80 Gear Pool: Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 20 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Very Limited (-1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
0 1) Hyper-spatial phase adjuster: Teleportation 10", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift (35 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), OIF (Phase Adjuster; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) Real Cost: 14
0 2) Hullcutter: Tunneling 1" through 15 DEF material (47 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Extra Time Extra Phase (-3/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
0 3) Battlefield Visual Disorienter: (Total: 39 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Tactical Camoflauge: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1 1/4), OIF (Light Bender; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Displaced Shadow Copy: Sight Group Images, +/-3 to PER Roll (19 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1 1/4), Only to play back one action taken by self in a loop (-1), IAF (Hologram Projector; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) Real Cost: 12
0 4) Tactical Aerial/Spatial Combat Propulsion Pack: Flight 24", 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (60 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) Real Cost: 30
0 5) Comm Package: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Signal Scanner/ Micro-burst Transmiter: High Range Radio Perception (Concealed (-5 to PER Roll), Discriminatory, Sense) (24 Active Points); OIF (Comms Module; -1/2), Requires A Systems Operation Skill Roll (-1/2), Radio/Hearing (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) Real Cost: 11
0 6) Scanner Module: Spatial Awareness (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree) (32 Active Points); OIF (Scanner Module; -1/2), Sight, Unusual (-1/4) Real Cost: 18
0 7) Surface Cohesion Boots: Clinging (15 STR) (12 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2) Real Cost: 8
0 8) Stim-Pack: Aid: STUN, BODY 2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute) (+1/4), Variable Effect Two Powers Simultaneously (+1/2) (35 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Only Restores to Starting Values (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), OIF (Medi-pack Module; -1/2), Side Effects (1D6 Drain vs INT, CON, Fade 5/Minute), Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1/2) Real Cost: 8
0 9) Bio-monitor: Simplified Healing 4d6 (max. Healed Points: 24), Trigger (Drop to 0 BODY or 0 STUN) (+1/4) (50 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), OIF (Bio-monitor Module; -1/2) Real Cost: 15
0 10) Personal Field Tactical Sidearm: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); OIF (Heavy Energy Pistol; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), 2 Clips of 8 Charges (-1/4) Real Cost: 30
0 11) Flight Harness, Long Range Sustained: Flight 17", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (59 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) Real Cost: 29
0 12) Battle Screen Generator: Force Wall (9 PD/9 ED; 2" long and 1" tall), Hardened (+1/4) (59 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), OIF (Screen Generator; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Restricted Shape (Dome) (-1/4) Real Cost: 20
Powers Cost: 80

If you recognize my Avitar you will know I am a fan of Starcraft.

The old boards had several discussions related to converting Starcraft and might be worth searching for ideas, I was starting a conversion but never got very far. I thought HERO would be a really good system to play it with and have been looking for the Starcraft RPG that was based on Alternity for ideas but have had no luck, there was also a good website listing the various critters that would be very helpful (it broke them down to their hit points attack strength etc in the computer game) but I haven't been able to find it lately, not sure if it is still around or not.

Hells yeah Terran Siege Tank :) I don't know if you're around the San Diego area, but I actually ran into a copy of the Alternity version of SC at a place called Game Towne. Otherwise I'd have no idea where it would be in your neck of the woods.

As far as the critters website goes, thanks for the information. I'll be pouring over the web for source material and I'll keep an eye out for this one and, if found, will post the link here.

Charles

Originally posted by Agent333

I want to give a BIG thumbs up to Killer Shrike for taking in Charles and showing him the ropes. Hero is best learned with a friend, particularly one that already knows the system. You're a class act Shrike. Thanks.

Well, thanx.

However, I cant pretend to be purely altruistic; I do get a new player out of the deal for at least a short time. ;)

Im happy to say that despite his initial trepidation, Charles took to the system quickly and Major Savage was certainly an asset as our intrepid heroes destroyed a pack of zombies in our ongoing struggle against Papa Zombie and Ogun.

Of course, Ive rarely seen one person roll so many 14s and higher to hit or so many 1s and 2s for effect all in one session, but no one ever said a Marine's lot was easy. How does a Marine know the end is near? Everything starts going right for once.

Other than having to explain to him what a butt-stroke is (a Marine term for hitting somebody with the butt of a rifle :D), all went well. Also, despite concerns over being able to portray a Marine, Charles got into the roll and did a really bang-up job.

Hopefully, given proper care and feeding, Charles will bloom into a die-hard hard-core HEROs gamer, with a calculator in one hand and 3d6 in the other ;)

Buttstroke, indeed. That was pretty funny, though. :)

I have a question regarding character power levels, particularly with a Soap Operah bent. Does anyone have a suggestion on how powerful I should allow the characters in this campaign? I was thinking Standard Hero to give the Ghost her powers, but I'm not sure how the others (a marine, a firebat, and a goliath pilot) will work out with this many points.

Just to be sure, as well- Hero-level characters don't have to pay for their equipment via points, correct? Does this include vehicles?

I'm creating the Sara Star System, with the outpost colonies of the Colonial Empire, now. I'm also writing up vehicles (Goliath mech, Wraith-class fighter, Siege Tank, and a Battlecruiser which I'm having trouble judging how many pnts it should have) and various weapons (Gauss Rifle and Pistol, C-10 Cannister Rifle, Firebat Flame-thrower) for the campaign. Oi, and the Zerg atm, too, though I only have to worry about zerglings and hydralisks right now.

I'll keep posting info if anyone's interested; it won't be too often in its coming because of summer school, but I'll update it as I get thru it. And keep up the kind words and suggestions, they help a lot. ;)

Charles

If you are going to up the point cost to float the ghost, I would recommend 200 to 250 points, with equipment costs points (including personal vehicles). Play it as low-powered superheroic in other words.

As youve seen with Major Savage, even at 400+ points he doesnt play out as being too uber. Thats because the actual points are only relative within the context of the campaign setting. Whatever the average points are for the campaign determines the "power" of a character more than the characters point total.

In a 350 pt avg campaign 400 pt characters have an edge. They are noticably better than average, and 500 point characters should be flat out impressive. But if the average point level is 500 then 400 pt characters seem subpar and 500 pt characters merely mediocre. It all relative.

Thus, if you base the campaign at 250 starting, average 300 or so for the opposition and other NPCs, the characters are rookies or at the very least still a little wet behind the ears. If you want the PCs to be elite specialists recruited for a special ops team because they are already better than average, set the average at 200 and make them.....250 starting ;)

See the trick there? Determine where you want the PCs to be based upon thier skill compared to the majority of the NPC antagonists and extras first.

• 1 year later...