presence attack

steph

when the rules said Presence attack is a no time action ....you can make it anytime you want in combat right? but my question is when exactly in the segment you can make presence attack........for exemple in the segment 3 two persons can act........... one got dex 14 and the other 10.......but someone else with no phase in that segment call he want to make a presence attack move .........he got a dex of 9..........who go first?? in other words when you make a presence attack you always go first (if you want) or you make your presence attack at your dex move (or maybe ego)

hope i am clear

english not my first language

steph

Re: presence attack

Technically "Anytime" is literally any time at all, so the DEX 9 guy with no action in that segment can make a PRE Attack before everyone else.

However, most GMs let you make them only at significant points (just after a massive attack, massive success by a teammate, prevents a route by allies, et cetera)

exactly as Ghost Angel says.

A PRE attack can be called at anytime at all, it doesn't matter what your DEX is. PRE attacks take up no time, use no END, require no activations etc. (Hmmm, now there's a possibility...) so if the GM lets you do it, a PRE attack could pre-empt all the other player actions.

As a matter of practice I ignore the rules and treat presence attacks effectively as a zero phase action. They are too cheap and powerful as it is.

Makes a lot of sense... since it does tie into the character's ability to perform actions along with the PRE attack (such as Ogre smashing the SUV, bellowing out "Now Ogre Smash YOU!!!".

As a matter of practice I ignore the rules and treat presence attacks effectively as a zero phase action. They are too cheap and powerful as it is.

I've always done them that way too. For me it's a 0-phase action that can be done on your phase either before, during or after an attack, but only on your phase.

I look at it this way, a character's phases represent the opportunities that character has to interact/interfere with other characters. Therefore a PRE attack is treated like any other attack/interaction.