Hmmm...okay, how about a Bosnian Pyramid?

proditor

Re: Hmmm...okay, how about a Bosnian Pyramid?

It shouldn't, but surprises me that the very people who should be investigating it with open minds and a desire to expand their knowledge are the very ones that want to bury the possibility. The establishment could be correct and this is nothing, but what if they are in fact man made structures? It would completely re-write what we think we know. Which to this simple mister average, is something to be pursued. But I guess once you are a "tenured" University oh-my-god, it isn't knowledge, but preserving your meal ticket. Cynical I know, but I can't help it and my personal experience with the educated elite has caused me to place them many many steps below the ambulance chasing lawyer. If you resemble this but actually are intellegent and have some common sense, please don't take it personnal. Just realize I have probably had to deal with that idiot in the other building, after all everyone has one, "the idiot in the other building" that is. :D

and sometimes we are that idiot......

Guest daeudi_454

Prominent Bosnian archaeologists entered the scrum early on, denouncing the dig and lobbying to shut it down.

-----------

Garrett Fagan, of Pennsylvania State University in University Park, has slammed the project. He says that the dig will destroy bona fide archaeological sites in the area.

He recently told the London Times newspaper: "It's as if someone were given permission to bulldoze Stonehenge to find secret chambers of lost ancient wisdom underneath."

the dig and lobbying to shut it down.

-----------

I don't care if they DO think the guy is a quack .... he may be right!

It looks almost identical to Chinese pyramid hills, that were long thought to be just 'hills'.

I'm not sure that the Bosnian one is actually stone blocks, or even 80m higher than Giza, but is absolutely man made.

I don't care.

It looks like a pyramid, it's in the Balkans-- that's more than enough for any Pulp GM. This could be the secret underground headquarters of the Nine Unknown.

There are hundreds of plot seeds just waiting to happen.

Could the reason most of academia is denigrating it be because there are secrets there we don't want to know?

:)

:sneaky:

The thing is' date=' after the way the expedition sent by Miskatonic University turned out, the rest of the academic world has just agreed to ignore those things.[/quote']

But what can you mean?

everything went perfectly fine....

Trust me:sneaky:

Bosnian pyramids? Yeah, right! What's next - Serbian Dragon Riders? ....

waitaminute ...

Couldn't it be that the Bosnian Pharaohs hid their pyramids under scrubs and earthworks to get those pesky dragon-riding Serbian raiders of their back?

And when that didn't work out they finally had enough and moved to Eqypt which is Bosnian for "The-land-without-dragon-riding-jerks"?

Suddenly, all makes sense!

Besides my mind running wild with stupidity - interesting story. And it does not seem to me that the people pursuing that pyramid idea are quacks and nutcases - Schliemann's discovering of Troy was also deemed impossible - till he found it. And he disrupted a lot while digging, yes. But without we would stil thinks that Troy was a place like the little farm in the prarie ...

It shouldn't' date=' but surprises me that the very people who should be investigating it with open minds and a desire to expand their knowledge are the very ones that want to bury the possibility. The establishment could be correct and this is nothing, but what if they are in fact man made structures? It would completely re-write what we think we know. Which to this simple mister average, is something to be pursued. But I guess once you are a "tenured" University oh-my-god, it isn't knowledge, but preserving your meal ticket. Cynical I know, but I can't help it and my personal experience with the educated elite has caused me to place them many many steps below the ambulance chasing lawyer.[/quote']

Well in defense of academic experts (I'm not one, BTW), they also generally tend to be pretty good at spotting pseudo-scientific nonsense drummed up for gullible tourists and tabloid TV shows. Can't say if that's the case here, but inviting contestants from the Miss Bosnia beauty pagent to the opening dig doesn't exactly scream credibility. ;) Just like our scientifically-inclined brethren on the Star Hero forums (I'm not one of them either) tend to be rightly skeptical about claims of COLD FUSION!, or LIMITLESS CHEAP ENERGY!, or whatever other crackpot "discovery" the media are reporting this month, until it's actually been documented, peer-reviewed, etc.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Maybe this guy will turn up that proof and prove me (and the experts) wrong; obviously it has happened before. But if Paleolithic Bosnians really did possess the technology to build something that massive, it sure seems odd that no one has ever found evidence of them building so much as a 2-story stone buliding before now.

But for a Pulp Hero game, who cares - way cool! :thumbup:

Well in defense of academic experts (I'm not one' date=' BTW), they also generally tend to be pretty good at spotting pseudo-scientific nonsense drummed up for gullible tourists and tabloid TV shows. Can't say if that's the case here, but inviting contestants from the Miss Bosnia beauty pagent to the opening dig doesn't exactly scream credibility. ;) Just like our scientifically-inclined brethren on the Star Hero forums (I'm not one of them either) tend to be rightly skeptical about claims of [b']COLD FUSION![/b], or LIMITLESS CHEAP ENERGY!, or whatever other crackpot "discovery" the media are reporting this month, until it's actually been documented, peer-reviewed, etc.

Well, I will have to admit you can't paint a whole group with the same brush. And there are a lot of nut cases out there with the "crack pot discovery of the minute". what bothered me about what little I read and watched, was the presumption of falsehood that seems to command everyone these days. What happened to being highly sceptical but reserving judgement until it is investigated?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Maybe this guy will turn up that proof and prove me (and the experts) wrong; obviously it has happened before. But if Paleolithic Bosnians really did possess the technology to build something that massive, it sure seems odd that no one has ever found evidence of them building so much as a 2-story stone buliding before now.

But then Troy was a fable for centuries until they found it. And there are places where modern construction has completely disappeared without a trace in less than 100 years. Also there have been several ancient sites that were hiding in plain sight. We just didn't see them for what they were, especially if something else was constructed on top of them. An example would be the mound builders of North America. They built huge artificial hills/platforms on top of which they built their cities and for years no one ever realized they were more than just hills.

But for a Pulp Hero game' date=' who cares - way cool! :thumbup: [/quote']

And that is one you just can't argue with :D

Well, they haven't really found any proof that the site is Troy, they found that there were around five citys of various ages founded their, a couple of which have vauge similarities with the Troy found in the Odyssey. However, there is no actual evidence to suggest that it was Troy, no signs of an occupation (even a seasonal one,) or records pointing to it being Troy. There is some annecdotal evidence which states there may have been illium and illia, but that's about it.

But then Troy was a fable for centuries until they found it.

Yes, but there was never any doubt that the Greeks were capable of building cities - it was just a question of whether or not that particular city ever existed. Bit of a difference.

And there are places where modern construction has completely disappeared without a trace in less than 100 years.

Individual buildings, sure. (Modern buildings aren't designed to last.) But not all trace of a civilization capable of constructing buildings. Again, bit of a difference.

I do hope this turns out to be true. Last I heard, archaeologists were surprised to discover just how sophisticated some of the early Bronze Age European cultures were.

And OT, but in a Pulp universe, you can have just about any culture show up anywhere on the globe. Egyptians in the Grand Canyon, Vikings in Central Asia, a hidden island with geothermal heating filled with pre-Columbian Indians north of Alaska, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do hope this turns out to be true. Last I heard' date=' archaeologists were surprised to discover just how sophisticated some of the early Bronze Age European cultures were. [/quote']

Well, yes, but we're not talking bronze age here - the guy in question is suggesting "the last ice age" which mean " early stone age".

Personally, I'm with the experts on this one. Plenty of people have claimed that natural features are actually buildings - remember the "Face on Mars" guys?

If there's evidence there, he should be able to find it and then he gets to be famous.

Buuuut - we've already had Schliemann and Troy bought up as examples of the "experts" being wrong. Alas, if you check the facts, you'll find that:

a) Schliemann took over the dig started by a professional archaeologist Frank Calvert, who initially identified Hisarlik as possibly being the site of Troy and

B) Schliemann (and Calvert) were probably both wrong.

There are multiple levels of cities at Hisarlik. The one contemporary with the mycenean greeks and the period Homer writes of was a small town or village, which makes it a pretty unlikely setting for Troy. Schliemann himself thought it couldn't possibly be Troy, so he bulldozed most of it. There *was* a large and powerful city at the same site (Troy II, which Schliemann identified as the Troy) - but not only is there no evidence it was burned down or even taken in war, we now know it is a thousand years too early to be Homer's Troy.

We're left with what we had before Schliemann - Troy may or may not have actually existed, and if it did exist, it may or may not have been at Hisarlik (probably not). The only thing we can be certain of is that the ruins Schliemann identified as Troy, aren't.

cheers, Mark

• 11 months later...

I actually got to use Bosnian pyramids in a pulp game earlier this year. It was a lot of fun, and as required for pulp goodness, it was an ancient Atlantean temple. :)