Transformer's Spark

crayadder

OK Power Constructilios,

How would you emulate a Transformer's Spark? In case the background is needed a Transformer's spark is their life essence which can pass from body to body via various techniques. One of the best examples, without researching, is Starscream's Spark in an Episode of Beast Machines, though he never actually inhabitted a body as far as I recall. Regardless, assuming the spark can survive the destruction of the body, how would this be done within the game mechanics? At this point I am looking at just making it a story detail. In addition I am not planning on making the Spark invulnerable; it can be killed, it'll just take extra effort. So, any ideas? And if you would make it just a story mechanic, explain why?

thanks all,

Crayadder

Re: Transformer's Spark

Hmm... well, if you built the Transformers' bodies as Vehicles or Automatons, the the Spark could be designed as an Artificial Intelligence which controls the body when it occupies it. A basic AI is an impotent intelligence without some physical system for it to manipulate, which would match the source material.

The AI doesn't have any BODY score, so it's intangible and not "killable" in any normal way; but the Fourth Edition Spirit Rules allowed for special attacks which destroyed EGO rather than BODY in order to kill spirits, so I would suggest BOECV attacks which do BODY damage to the EGO of the Spark.

Alternative Method:

The main form of course has a VPP to simulate the different abilities that the different machines that the character inhabits.

Then have a multiform for when the character is actually the "spark". You can then build the "spark" with whatever abilities you think it would have and any limitations it might have.

Just An Idea

- Christopher Mullins

Cool ideas, but for the vast majority of the characters I am making, I am just using the normal Superhero Template and making their Vehicle Modes be Shape Shift. The all the powers have disads based on which form they can be used in. How would you do a Spark in this instance?

Cool ideas' date=' but for the vast majority of the characters I am making, I am just using the normal Superhero Template and making their Vehicle Modes be Shape Shift. The all the powers have disads based on which form they can be used in. How would you do a Spark in this instance?[/quote']

Err... "normal Superhero Template"---which book is that from?

Oh, and I wouldn't do a Spark under such restrictions. Even if it's possible, it's dumb to fight the Hero System's flexibility like that.

Go with the AI + Vehicle idea; it's the best. :)

Err... "normal Superhero Template"---which book is that from?

Oh, and I wouldn't do a Spark under such restrictions. Even if it's possible, it's dumb to fight the Hero System's flexibility like that.

Go with the AI + Vehicle idea; it's the best. :)

I was referring to the Hero Designer character templates, sorry, should have clarified.

From what I recall of Beast Wars (which I didn't see much of) sparks only leave/change bodies when the individual dies (they generally don't go body-hopping, Starscream notwithstanding). I'd almost say to use it as a plot device when a character dies to have the same personality/skills on the new character.

Kelcyron

However: I LOVE A CHALANGE

IIRC:

Build the spark as a flying, desolid, character (Can't remember if they are invisible or not), Regeneration (Resurection), Full Lifesupport, anything else that seems appropriate

Multiform (Base form=spark), most will have x2, -0 limitation reverts to base form if character dies, these are the various bot forms

If they die, then they have a radiation accident to revert back to a physical body

Alt method: no multiform, but instead build the body as a vehicle/automation

Ditto on the Plot Device call. It should really be under GM fiat.

AI, EGO and Spirits, Multiform, Vehicles/Automations and AI are the best ideas I think. Go with what fits your campaign best. Personally, a Multiform where the number of different bodies that a character normally occupies sounds the fairest for players.

A *permanent* change in vehicle or to a vehicle that's not in a character's normal multiform could be done with Transform. Using the aforementioned Spirit rules, it's a Transform BOECV, and a two step process. First, Transform the character to be moved (upload), the Transform again on the body to be used (download). If the body to be used is empty (no EGO), use the EGO of the character to download rather than the target body. This is a VERY powerful ability and should be granted by the GM only as a plot device and to certain NPCs.

Don't forget Power Defense if you want to keep people from hijacking your body.

I know my Transformers history better than all the powers in the Until Superpowers book.

Starscream has a mutant spark so in his unique case I'd give him a multiform between his permenent body and his spark which would be built like a ghost with the possession power (built as Mind Control).

For ordinary Transformers, since death is a tramatic experience and tramatic experiences can trigger a "radiation accident" I'd use it to change the chatacter into a ghost to be undone when they get a new body.

If you want to include Megatron's spark extractors from Beast Machines, I would use a soul stealing power or Mind Transfer.

Apart from that, it's a plot device if you want to take your Cybertronians to the Matrix.

OK, going with your Transformers knowledge...

I know my Transformers history better than all the powers in the Until Superpowers book.

Starscream has a mutant spark so in his unique case I'd give him a multiform between his permenent body and his spark which would be built like a ghost with the possession power (built as Mind Control).

I'd go with the Transform BOECV I mentioned earlier for modeling the actual spark. For "ordinary" body changes, I agree Multiform looks best, with lims that require one of his empty bodies to be available.

For ordinary Transformers, since death is a tramatic experience and tramatic experiences can trigger a "radiation accident" I'd use it to change the chatacter into a ghost to be undone when they get a new body.

Good call. This is not a power, it's just the GM's game world. All Transformers when they die eventually aquire new bodies, like reincarnation. Players must create new characters when they die but will keep their memories, so maybe things like Contacts and some Perks carry over. NPCs will have past lives that they remember.

If you want to include Megatron's spark extractors from Beast Machines, I would use a soul stealing power or Mind Transfer.

Spark extractors sound like Transform BOECV to me. If you want them to be really nasty, add AVLD to this Tranform. Then ordinary Power Defense doesn't work. Mega powerful, mega plot device. Megatron.

Apart from that, it's a plot device if you want to take your Cybertronians to the Matrix.

I never saw this one. Maybe going to the matrix is a (different) Transform BOECV. ;)

gojira

Yeah, after I posted I realized a Transform would do a better job for a spark extractor. I'd make it a Spirit transform since you're pulling the spirit from the body.

My last line was a refernce to the short story "Singulary Abyss" in Transformers Legends. Skir, writer for Beast Machines, wrote it and it takes Megatron's spark up the dimensions in Kabbalism to the Matrix/AllSpark. I brought it up because the Hero system also uses the Kabbalistic model for its multiverse structure. It's a good metaphysical story that gives a little more depth to the abstract realms in Ultimatic Mystic. Also since Megatron almost makes it to Crown, the story serves as a model for an evil mage who also has passed through the Veil and into the higher dimensions.

Now that is some cool help! It's started me thinking and how does creating a new attribute called Spark sound? It would be treated the same as Body and can only be attacked by effects that target it specifically. Is that workable or am I missing something?

Cray

I thought about this overnight. I think generally HERO has enough stats; it has a metric butt load, actually. But I think you could, for example, rename EGO to SPARK. Then perhaps give all Transformers a Machine Class of Minds.

Thus, all BOECV will operate on the SPARK stat. Mental Illusions and Mind Control will also operate on SPARK and will be "Cybertron Hacking" rather than a mental power. Spirit Transforms will actually be Spark Transforms. Mental Defense will actually be called Spark Defense. Etc.

Of course, if Megatron ever tried his Spark Extractor on a human it might not work, because of the different class of mind, but this might also be what you want. Ditto with most Transfomer mental powers. Cybertron hacking might not work on humans. But physical means sure should, so STR, EB and Light Illusions work fine on everyone.

If I remember right, Cybertron was rather devolved because it was low on energon. Many Transformers could be called downtrodden or in disrepair because of lack of access to this basic resource. They might be NPCs with stats in the 8's across the board. This would give them low Spark and make them easy prey for Megtrons Spark Extractor. Some Cybertons were little better than machines and might have EGO and INT scores as low as 5.

Better and more upgraded Transformers should have EGOs in the 10+ range, representing their high Spark. Optimus Prime probably has a Spark in the range 20 - 30. Advanced Transformers should also have some Spark (Mental) defense and Power Defense too, representing their general toughness and strong Sparks. All PCs should be this type of upgraded Transformer and start with stats in the 10's.

Ok that's all I got. Good luck. I hope my recollection of Cybertron was at least somewhat correct.

Gojira, you are a fine human being. ;) Those are some excellent thoughts. I was thinking of adding Spark on top of EGO and basically using it to represent the almost indestructible "spirit" of a transformer - hence a character would need to purchase a power that specifically targets a spark (ala Megatron's spark extractor). However, with your thoughts I can see why it would be good to just replace EGO altogether. Plus it's one less Characteristic a PC(and NPC) has to spend points on, always a good thing :D

Cray.