Ring of Bouyancy

Erkenfresh

Ring of Bouyancy: While this ring is worn, the wearer will automatically rise to the surface of whatever water he/she is in. A hard dive into the water will not go very deep, but the wearer will gently rise to the surface afterwards. Treading water is completely effortless for the wearer. The ring will quadruple the weight the wearer can carry to rise to the surface but too much weight will still cause the wearer to sink. The wearer has no control over this ability, it always works.

The mechanics:

Ring of Bouyancy: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Swimming +5" (7" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (10 Active Points); Only towards the surface (-1), OIF (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus +10 STR (10 Active Points); Only to increase lifting capacity while underwater (-2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

Does that look correct?

Re: Ring of Bouyancy

"Low density in water" doesn't help to specify a few things:

1. How much weight does it take to sink the wearer?

2. How fast does the wearer return to the surface?

I think I'll go with what I originally wrote up. The important thing here is I quoted a price of 1500 gold for this after I just made the idea up and now I know the real and active cost to help me come up with some sort of formula for costing other magic items. I may use something like this:

(Active * 50) + (Real * 100) +/- (Subjective usefulness) = Base Price

Thanks!

The mass of the wearer must exceed the volume of the water displaced. So at sea level (at one atmosphere pressure) - it's basically your volume in kilograms (ie if you weigh 80kg for example, you would float if you took up more than 80 litres of space). As you probably know 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram.

Ring of Bouyancy: While this ring is worn, the wearer will automatically rise to the surface of whatever water he/she is in. A hard dive into the water will not go very deep, but the wearer will gently rise to the surface afterwards. Treading water is completely effortless for the wearer. The ring will quadruple the weight the wearer can carry to rise to the surface but too much weight will still cause the wearer to sink. The wearer has no control over this ability, it always works.

The mechanics:

Ring of Bouyancy: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Swimming +5" (7" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (10 Active Points); Only towards the surface (-1), OIF (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus +10 STR (10 Active Points); Only to increase lifting capacity while underwater (-2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

Does that look correct?

I would make one slight change. I'd have it read "Only to increase lifting capacity while in the water (-2)" (emphasis only for demonstrative purposes).

As it reads now, it could be argued the extra lift disappear if the wearer is at the surface of the water.

Otherwise, an excellent idea.

I dunno, maybe it glows brightly while the wearer is underwater. Maybe it shoots out a jet of bubbles to gently raise the wearer to the surface. Either of these effects are fairly obvious. If a villian tries to drown the wearer with a pair of concrete shoes and he comes back up, the ring gives itself away and the villian will take it and chuckle evilly as the person drowns.

It's OIF because the rings are worn around the upper arm. They're yellow and inflatable.

You're awesome. :D

They bring up a point. Why is the ring so obvious? It doesn't seem like all that flashy an effect.

True, good point. IIF might be better. The ring might not be obviously magical. And what if the character has several gaudy costume jewlery rings on? Which one is the magical one?

...Maybe it shoots out a jet of bubbles to gently raise the wearer to the surface. ...

Only if there's a leak! :D