mr. Monk (Character conversion for DC)

proditor

Here's attempt number one at Adrian Monk, from the TV show: Monk. His world is probably a little too light for DC, then again, almost every episode starts with a murder! :eek:

Adrian Monk - mr. Monk

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

8....STR.....-2...8......11-.......HTH Damage 1 1/2d6 END [1]

10....DEX.....0...10......11-.......OCV 3 DCV 3

12....CON.....4...12......11-

10....BODY....0...10......11-

30....INT.....20...30......15-.......PER Roll 17-

18....EGO.....16...18......13-.......ECV: 9

10....PRE.....0...10......11-.......PRE Attack: 2d6

12....COM.....1...12......11-

2....PD......0...2.............2 PD (0 rPD)

2....ED......0...2.............2 ED (0 rED)

2....SPD.....0...2.................Phases: 6, 12

4....REC.....0...4

24....END.....0...24

20....STUN....0...20

8....RUN......0...8"................END [2]

2....SWIM.....0...2"................END [1]

2....LEAP.....0...1 1/2"................1 1/2" forward, 0 1/2" upward

CHA Cost: 39

Cost...POWERS

10.....Luck 2d6 - END=0

4.....I used to be a runner: Running +2" (8" total) - END=1

6.....Compulsive Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0

3.....Fights better than you think he would: Hand-To-Hand Attack +1d6 (5 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=1

5.....What is that stench?: Discriminatory with Normal Smell - END=0

5.....What is that stench?: Analyze with Normal Smell - END=0

13.....When it really matters: +4 Overall (40 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2) - END=

7.....When it really matters: +10 EGO (20 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2) - END=

..... - END=

27.....Deductive Observation: (Total: 120 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Telepathy 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Limited Power Can only read surface thoughts (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Deduction; -1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) (Real Cost: 17) plus Telepathy 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Limited Power Only to achieve +20 "Target cannot detect Telepathy" (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Deduction; -1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) - END=0

..... - END=

11.....He'll probably do this next: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Precognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Deduction; -1/4) - END=0

..... - END=

11.....Here's what happened: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Retrocognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Criminology; -1/4) - END=0

POWERS Cost: 102

Cost...SKILLS

3......Acting 11-

2......CK: San Francisco 11-

11......Criminology 19-

11......Deduction 19-

3......Forensic Medicine 15-

3......Scholar

2......1) KS: Criminal Law (3 Active Points) 15-

2......2) KS: Germs (3 Active Points) 15-

2......3) KS: History (3 Active Points) 15-

2......4) KS: Language Dialects and Derivations (3 Active Points) 15-

2......5) KS: Law (3 Active Points) 15-

2......6) KS: Library Science (3 Active Points) 15-

1......7) KS: Marathon Runners (2 Active Points) 11-

2......8) KS: Police Procedures (3 Active Points) 15-

2......9) KS: Sanitary Procedures (3 Active Points) 15-

2......10) KS: The Law Enforcement World (3 Active Points) 15-

2......11) KS: Types of Psychoses (3 Active Points) 15-

2......PS: Clarinet Player 11-

3......PS: Detective 15-

1......WF: Handguns

SKILLS Cost: 60

Cost...PERKS

2......Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License

11......Contact: Captain Leland Sodelmeyer (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 13-

10......Follower: Natalie (100 point competant Nurse)

12......Reputation: Greatest Detective since Sherlock Holmes (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

PERKS Cost: 35

Cost...TALENTS

5......Eidetic Memory

TALENTS Cost: 5

Value..DISADVANTAGES

5.....Dependent NPC: Psychiatrist 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

5.....Distinctive Features: Acts weird, socially maladjusted (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Blames himself for everything that goes wrong (Common, Total)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Strong

25.....Psychological Limitation: Every Phobia known to Man (Very Common, Total)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Hypochondriac (Uncommon, Strong)

25.....Psychological Limitation: Massive OCD (Very Common, Total)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Only east food he prepares, only drinks Sierra Springs water (Common, Strong)

5.....Reputation: The weird guy uber detective, 8-

DISADVANTAGES Points: 125

Base Pts: 125

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 241

Character Quotes:

"You'll thank me later."

"You're right, it's not possible....but you did it."

"He's the guy!"

"Here's what happened."

Character of Monk by Tony Shaloub and Andy Breckman; Character conversion by me. ;)

Let me know what you think, and thanks to USA for the two Monk Marathons. :D

Re: mr. Monk (Character conversion for DC)

I'm not sure about the INT. He makes mistakes. I'd give him a high PER and a slightly lower INT (IMHO).

I thought about that.

The thing that cinched it at it's insanely high number was "Mr. Monk and the Garbage Strike" (2nd episode, 5th season, 2006 airdate) where he was wrong in the drugstore. Everyone (Natalie, the LT, Sodelmeyer) looks shocked, and the pharmicist says "What, he's never wrong?" and they all go "No, he's not."

The only times I've seen him make mistakes so far is when his Disads are tweaking him. I may have to add some more time to his uber powers though, as it seems like there are times he just gets it right off the bat, and other times it takes him a while.

It should be pointed out that when he is medicated that his deductive powers don't work. I think the idea behind the series is that Monk is a genius, and being a genius he has alot of psychological problems. Unfortunately if you take away any of these imbalances you take away the intellect.

It should be pointed out that when he is medicated that his deductive powers don't work. I think the idea behind the series is that Monk is a genius' date=' and being a genius he has alot of psychological problems. Unfortunately if you take away any of these imbalances you take away the intellect.[/quote']I saw that episode, and speaking as one with similar disorders, I don't think he lost the intellect so much as the interest in applying it as he did.

Some sort of INT Drain then?

(Never seen the show, just tossing an idea out).

Probably more of a Susceptibility or Vulnerability. Sharona (his nurse at the time) suggested that he lower the dosage, but both of them and Dr. Kroger eventually decided he was better off without it.

Probably more of a Susceptibility or Vulnerability. Sharona (his nurse at the time) suggested that he lower the dosage' date=' but both of them and Dr. Kroger eventually decided he was better off without it.[/quote']

Yes, that's what I said. You could have a Drain versus INT as a Susceptibility.

• 5 months later...

Fantastic write-up. Now let me get overly critical.

Why an 8 STR? Are you basing that on average is 8? If so, why not an 8 BODY and PRE?

I have to disagree with the 30 INT. I would go with 20…maybe 25 then tack on some Enhanced Perception and Skill Levels.

I would not allow Psych Lim (Only eats food he prepares, only drinks Sierra Springs water) with all of this other Disadvantages. I think it is a combination of his Phobias and OCD.