A multipower question for you all.

Great Beyond

So I was thinking of playing around with putting GB's current flight (pretty basic - 32 inches of flight, 0 end and a couple of non combat multipliers) into a power pool and perhaps coming up with a couple of flight gimmicks - stuff like flying around in a circle really fast to snuff out fires (simple - a suppress fire powers). The problem I run into is - well, I'd have to move the pool points from fly to the suppress. Suddenly GB is plunging from the sky as she's trying to put out the fire.

Now understanding that each GM is different, can I justify the special effect of continuing to fly even though the actual fight power has no points in it. Of course if I wanted to move again, I'd of course have to shift the points back. Or is that being unreasonable, and I need to set up a secondary pool for all the extra tricks and gimmicks that I can use while the fly continues running?

Re: A multipower question for you all.

Make the pool big enough for you to run some of his flight as well as the other powers. That means (assuming a multipower rather than a VPP) that you would have to make the flight slot a multi slot, rather than an ultra slot.

eg:

Multipower:

60 Pool

12m Flight slot

10u Suppress fire

5u something else

etc...

You could do something similar with a VPP.

I can see where you're coming from - Fire-Absorbo-Woman could just stand there and do the exact same thing you want to do, for the exact same points; why should you have to pay extra for what's basically a special effect of the Suppress? If you were willing to say that flying around in circles left you just as vulnerable to attack as someone who was standing still, an attacker only needs to reach the nearest point of the circle to affect you (because you're zipping around so fast), ranges average out to the center of the circle, etc etc, I might let you get away with it.

Actually, one thing you are getting that Fire-Absorbo-Woman isn't: you're off the ground, which can be important. I'd probably make you use at least 1" of Flight with that AoE Supress - you're moving faster than 1", but it "averages to a hover". If you're using a VPP, you'll almost certainly be able to fit the Flight in with the Suppress, since something's going to have *some* limitation to bring the real points below the pool cost. Or make the Supress a teeny bit weaker to fit it in. In a multipower, just make the ultra slot AoE Suppress + 1" Flight, you don't need multi slots.

In a multipower' date=' just make the ultra slot AoE Suppress + 1" Flight, you don't need multi slots.[/quote']

It's useful to have the multi slot there, though. The character may well end up having a whole bunch of different flight/superspeed tricks. Some of these may even be multi-slots too.

You might reduce the characters base Inches of flight, and then have more inches of flight in an "Overdrive" multipower slot.

So something like:

Into the Great Beyond: Fight 20", 0 END

Tricks From The Great Beyond: Multpower 62 pt reserve

6u 1) Flight +12", x8 NCM, 0 END

6u 2) Supress 10d6, Any One Fire Power One At A Time, Linked (Into the Great Beyond)

And assorted other tricks, many of them Linked to your base inches of Flight.

Also, just an observation: If it's appropriate for your concept, you MIGHT want to take 0 End off some of those inches of Flight, perhaps settling for 1/2 END. You can't push a 0 End power after all, and I personally like being able to Push my speedsters movement abilites from time to time... you just never know when you need to be a little bit faster ;)

Actually you probably shouldn't get the ability to fly at normal speed while doing this kind of trick. Flying fighters in Wing Commander, one thing I noticed is that turning in an extremely circle means that you are effectively stationary. So just leave yourself an inch of movement to stay aloft (which still matters) and leave it at that unless you have some other flight trick in mind which requires straightline movement (like a sonic boom area attack).

Actually you probably shouldn't get the ability to fly at normal speed while doing this kind of trick. Flying fighters in Wing Commander' date=' one thing I noticed is that turning in an extremely circle means that you are effectively stationary. So just leave yourself an inch of movement to stay aloft (which still matters) and leave it at that unless you have some other flight trick in mind which requires straightline movement (like a sonic boom area attack).[/quote']

I think his main concern is that if he has a multipower:

Flight Multipower

1) 20" Flight

2) Suppress Fires

And switches from his Flight to the Suppress there is no longer anything keeping him in the air and he would fall.

What he is looking for is a fairly normal "tricks" multipower. Buy the Flight like normal and then create a separate MultiPower for the extra stuff.

I can see where you're coming from - Fire-Absorbo-Woman could just stand there and do the exact same thing you want to do' date=' for the exact same points; why should you have to pay extra for what's basically a special effect of the Suppress?[/quote']

Bingo - that's it exactly. Much more succinct that what I was trying to say.

If you were willing to say that flying around in circles left you just as vulnerable to attack as someone who was standing still, an attacker only needs to reach the nearest point of the circle to affect you (because you're zipping around so fast), ranges average out to the center of the circle, etc etc, I might let you get away with it.

This might be the way to go. I dont mind taking the same modifiers as if I were just "standing there" as it were. I'll have to see if the GM agrees.

That or perhaps it might be easier and cheaper to just buy one lone inch, seperate from every other power - call that my "keeps me hovering" power while I use the pool to snuff out fires or whathave you. Either that or going Linked like Bloodstone suggested.

Either way, I'll have to talk to the Powers That Be and see if they have any idea. But this gives me a starting point at least.

I think his main concern is that if he has a multipower:

Flight Multipower

1) 20" Flight

2) Suppress Fires

And switches from his Flight to the Suppress there is no longer anything keeping him in the air and he would fall.

Unless of course he does the obvious thing and has his Suppress Fires leave 2 active points free so he can still "float". Not every slot in a multipower has to be maxed out.

Personally I would put all Flight Tricks in their own pool seperate from Flight itself. But that's me.

I tend to regard "Flying really really fast" as being a Flight Trick in its own right.

Hmm... I threatened to write up Marvelman in another thread. I was originally going to base him on Enforcer84's version of Captain Marvel, but if I hybridised him with my generic Speedster/Brick, we would have an example of a character that does the kind of stuff we are talking about...