Solomon Kane

the Evil DM

Re: Solomon Kane

And here's where you can find HERO writeups for Kane and his shaman patron' date=' N'Longa: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsbook/bookchar.html#REH[/quote']

Indeed - two write-ups for Kane to fit your preferred stylistic goodness!

Devermore!

Devermore!

Devermore!

Ahem.

Solomon Kane is, hands down, my favorite REH character, and one of my favorite Pulp characters to boot. And he was definately a pulp character - which isn't strictly limited to characters who appear in the pulp era with its attendent themes. Its also a style of writing, and the format in which the writing was presented.

Hi Guys: I assume you two have seen this...but just in case...

The Savage World of Solomon Kane

In the spring of 2007, Pinnacle Entertainment Group, in conjunction with Paradox Entertainment, Inc. will produce "The Savage World of Solomon Kane™ Roleplaying Game." God’s angry warrior, Solomon Kane™ is Robert E. Howard’s (Conan, Kull, Bran Mak Morn and many other incredible characters) most unusual creation. Black-clad and steely tempered, Kane bestrides demon-infested Africa and the war-torn Europe of Queen Elizabeth I to dispense relentless justice with the point of his sword. Pirates, vampires, mad queens, winged Furies, rapacious bandits, the berserk warriors of lost Atlantis – evil cannot escape justice from Solomon’s slashing rapier.

Pinnacle's CEO Shane Lacy Hensley is a long-time fan of the Kane stories: "Our game Savage Worlds is in large part inspired by the classic pulps, with my personal favorite Solomon Kane™ at the absolute top of the list. I've read and re-read Solomon's adventures for years and am thrilled to be doing this project. As you know, Pinnacle isn't known for licenses, but this is one that's very near and dear to our hearts. We feel this is a perfect match for our talents, our history of historical horror, and our game system."

The Savage World of Solomon Kane™ will be a full-color, 256-page book, written by Shane Lacy Hensley and Paul Wade-Williams, with a cover by Matt Wilson of Privateer Press. It will contain the award-winning Savage Worlds rules, background information on Kane and his adventures, all new locations, scenarios, and dark secrets for heroes to explore. New setting rules reflecting the incredible conviction of Kane are included, as well as a wealth of character ideas appropriate to Solomon's 16th century world of horror and adventure, and dozens of scenarios inspired by the Puritan’s own savage tales.

© 2006. Solomon Kane™ is a Trademark of Solomon Kane, Inc. All Rights Reserved. © 2006. Robert E Howard™ is a Trademark of Robert E. Howard Properties, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Savage Worlds is a trademark of Great White Games, doing business as Pinnacle Entertainment Group.

"Pirates' date=' rapacious bandits, vampires,berserk warriors of Lost Atlantis, mad queens". The usual Howard fare in other words ?:D[/quote']

Actually, the early Solomon Kane is very different from Conan - reserved, economical of motion, calculating and devout. Only in the last few stories does he resemble Conan in battle-frenzy. I figure either: 1) REH was starting to come up with ideas for Conan and they bled into his previous character; or, 2) Kane ends up in darkest Africa, far from the haunts of civilized men, and could have "gone native."

Either way, he's a great character.

Hi Guys: I assume you two have seen this...but just in case...

The Savage World of Solomon Kane

In the spring of 2007, Pinnacle Entertainment Group, in conjunction with Paradox Entertainment, Inc. will produce "The Savage World of Solomon Kane™ Roleplaying Game." God’s angry warrior, Solomon Kane™ is Robert E. Howard’s (Conan, Kull, Bran Mak Morn and many other incredible characters) most unusual creation. Black-clad and steely tempered, Kane bestrides demon-infested Africa and the war-torn Europe of Queen Elizabeth I to dispense relentless justice with the point of his sword. Pirates, vampires, mad queens, winged Furies, rapacious bandits, the berserk warriors of lost Atlantis – evil cannot escape justice from Solomon’s slashing rapier.

Pinnacle's CEO Shane Lacy Hensley is a long-time fan of the Kane stories: "Our game Savage Worlds is in large part inspired by the classic pulps, with my personal favorite Solomon Kane™ at the absolute top of the list. I've read and re-read Solomon's adventures for years and am thrilled to be doing this project. As you know, Pinnacle isn't known for licenses, but this is one that's very near and dear to our hearts. We feel this is a perfect match for our talents, our history of historical horror, and our game system."

The Savage World of Solomon Kane™ will be a full-color, 256-page book, written by Shane Lacy Hensley and Paul Wade-Williams, with a cover by Matt Wilson of Privateer Press. It will contain the award-winning Savage Worlds rules, background information on Kane and his adventures, all new locations, scenarios, and dark secrets for heroes to explore. New setting rules reflecting the incredible conviction of Kane are included, as well as a wealth of character ideas appropriate to Solomon's 16th century world of horror and adventure, and dozens of scenarios inspired by the Puritan’s own savage tales.

© 2006. Solomon Kane™ is a Trademark of Solomon Kane, Inc. All Rights Reserved. © 2006. Robert E Howard™ is a Trademark of Robert E. Howard Properties, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Savage Worlds is a trademark of Great White Games, doing business as Pinnacle Entertainment Group.

This has grabbed my interest. It sounds like something really special. I'm curious if anyone has played the Savage Worlds rules with a pulp campaign and might have any thoughts to share on how it compares with the HERO system. I looked at the basic set of free rules on the website, and it definitely has me considering picking up the real rules. It seems to promise a good level of detail, but with a simplified system that makes sessions move better. Hype?

I have not played but it but I am looking at it for my next campaign. I've also purchased the Pulp GMs Toolkit and Pulp Gear Toolkits. They are well written and could easily be moved into any system. Nice material. :)

Saying all that...

I have NOT played Savage Worlds yet. :(

This has grabbed my interest. It sounds like something really special. I'm curious if anyone has played the Savage Worlds rules with a pulp campaign and might have any thoughts to share on how it compares with the HERO system. I looked at the basic set of free rules on the website' date=' and it definitely has me considering picking up the real rules. It seems to promise a good level of detail, but with a simplified system that makes sessions move better. Hype?[/quote']

I have not used Savage Worlds for a Pulp campaign, but I play in a biweekly game using Savage Worlds and played in a fantasy game at GenCon.

The main thing about the game is that it is fast. Its quick to resolve any action including combat. Its very simple. I am of mixed mind of this, on the one hand I enjoy Hero's combat mechanics and the detail that can be achieved, on the other hand having a single 'skill' called 'Fighting' cover all hand-to-hand combat simplifies things.

Savage World makes use of Bennies which can be used to avoid damage (with an appropriate roll) or reroll any dice roll (except ranged damage). For pulp I would increase the normal number at the start (or use one of the various rules for Bennies) and would be generous with the number award for play.

I would also agree that Soloman Kane is definitaly pulp, just set in a different time. I plan to use some of the story ideas for my pulp game that is set in the 1920s.

I have not used Savage Worlds for a Pulp campaign, but I play in a biweekly game using Savage Worlds and played in a fantasy game at GenCon.

The main thing about the game is that it is fast. Its quick to resolve any action including combat. Its very simple. I am of mixed mind of this, on the one hand I enjoy Hero's combat mechanics and the detail that can be achieved, on the other hand having a single 'skill' called 'Fighting' cover all hand-to-hand combat simplifies things.

Savage World makes use of Bennies which can be used to avoid damage (with an appropriate roll) or reroll any dice roll (except ranged damage). For pulp I would increase the normal number at the start (or use one of the various rules for Bennies) and would be generous with the number award for play.

I would also agree that Soloman Kane is definitaly pulp, just set in a different time. I plan to use some of the story ideas for my pulp game that is set in the 1920s.

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the "freebie" rules on the website. My background is that I have played almost nothing except HERO for years (though I dabbled with a few other systems some time back). I have loved HERO for the superhero campaigns, but have been dissatisfied with it for the fantasy campaigns. I have never run a full out pulp campaign. In some of our superhero sessions we have had "pulpish" kind of adventures, but they were really more supers. They didn't really have the feel of the pulps.

Not long ago, I ran a single session pulp adventure, using HERO rules that I had tried to simplify to make it run faster and have more of a pulp feel. It worked better, and eliminating the speed chart really seemed to help the flavor. It it was still somewhat cumbersome, and the experience convinced me that a more streamlined approach to the rules would work well for the kind of fast-paced pulp action I wanted to get.

Now hearing about this Savage Worlds game system, it sounds very much like what I have been looking for, but I am still a little skeptical. Maybe rather than picking up the rules, I'll wait for this new Solomon Kane book, which apparently will contain the rules as well.

Hi Quester: Not to derail this thread too badly but I am also looking at other systems for pulp. Right now Savage Worlds and FUDGE/FATE are leading the pack. The Terra Incognito book for FUDGE fits what I want to do exactly so I may give that a go. There is a new Indie Press book called Spirit of the Century which uses FATE. I have NOT picked that one up yet...I might...has anyone else seen this book?

Hi Quester: Not to derail this thread too badly but I am also looking at other systems for pulp. Right now Savage Worlds and FUDGE/FATE are leading the pack. The Terra Incognito book for FUDGE fits what I want to do exactly so I may give that a go. There is a new Indie Press book called Spirit of the Century which uses FATE. I have NOT picked that one up yet...I might...has anyone else seen this book?

I liked Hollow Earth Expedition.

Both Spirit of the Centry (FATE, which is a pretty interesting system but I have not tried it out yet) and Hollow Earth Expedition (which uses its own system that I really like) have pretty cool systems.

I like Savage Worlds ok... it is good if you are not worried about details, but Bennies are really important - too important IMO. Without them your characters kind of blows, and with them they can do lots of stuff to the point that your Attributes and Skills are not as important.

Both Spirit of the Centry (FATE, which is a pretty interesting system but I have not tried it out yet) and Hollow Earth Expedition (which uses its own system that I really like). Both are pretty cool.

I like Savage Worlds ok... it is good if you are not worried about details, but Bennies are really important - to important IMO. Without them your characters kind of blow, and with them they can do lots of stuff to the point that your Attributes and Skills are not as important.

What I am looking for is a system where the combat moves fast, and is a lot of fun. So far what I have seen and heard of Savage Worlds does meet that criteria. I browsed through the first part of the FATE system, but my initial impression is that it is a bit more complex, and not so much geared to the fast and furious action I'm looking for in my ideal pulp campaign.

What I am looking for is a system where the combat moves fast' date=' and is a lot of fun. So far what I have seen and heard of Savage Worlds does meet that criteria. I browsed through the first part of the FATE system, but my initial impression is that it is a bit more complex, and not so much geared to the fast and furious action I'm looking for in my ideal pulp campaign.[/quote']

Oh Savage Worlds has a very fast combat, once you learn the system. There are some maneuvers that you can use to add a bit of spice to it also. You draw cards to see who goes first, and roll your 'bones'. The system is open-ended (if you roll max on a die you roll again, adding them together), so you can get some pretty wild rolls. I really want to love Savage Worlds but there is just something holding me back :nonp: