Using Stargate Command in a superhero game

Mark Rand

You know that I like using Stargate Command and I may use it in the Batman campaign, along with the way station.

The SGC provides another reason for alien races to visit our world for either business, pleasure, or conquest.

Senator Robert Kinsey is a good person to antaganize heroes with and tie them up in red tape. If you have something happen to Washington and keep Kinsey alive, have him out of town when it happens.

The NID is a cool organization to have hunt heroes. The NID may think that they have technology that the agency can use or that a stealthy hero has ruined their operations somewhere and they want revenge.

Re: Using Stargate Command in a superhero game

I think that a variant on the SGC would be a good premise for running a "Galactic Champions" type campaign (superpowered alien races, alien tech as the basis for super origins) without having to change the world's overall society and technology level. In fact the SGC's secretiveness makes an excellent rationale for keeping typical comic-book "supertech" from filtering out into the general populace.

I think that a variant on the SGC would be a good premise for running a "Galactic Champions" type campaign (superpowered alien races' date=' alien tech as the basis for super origins) without having to change the world's overall society and technology level. In fact the SGC's secretiveness makes an excellent rationale for keeping typical comic-book "supertech" from filtering out into the general populace.[/quote']

Stargate Men In Black W/Superpowers. :thumbup:

I am going to be using a version of Stargate Command in a group I am running in my groups shared universe.

I'm probably going to use Stargate Command itself only peripherally in the Batman campaign. The NID and Kinsey will be more important.

I'm also going to go AU from the series at In The Line Of Duty. Basically, Samantha is still Jolinar's host, but, due to her tampering with the NID's computers, they think Jolinar's dead. Also, Sha're is free of Amonet and Dr. Frasier is still alive.

Wow. I never thought of conflating Stargate with MIB' date=' but that could work. :)[/quote']

MIB, Stargate and even They Live! all assume about the same level of technology exists (somewhere, not necessarily on Earth). The differences are mainly in who controls the tech.

Over in the Black Widow revisited, version 2.0 thread, I have attempted NID action against the CIA causing busts at the NID and forcing Dubya into revealing the existance of Stargate Command and Area 51.

Kinsey isn't happy, neither are NASA and the MIB. The MIB, however, still have secrets from everyone.

A woman living, and working, in the campaign city is a refugee from another galaxy who came to Earth over 20 years ago. She and the MIB have hidden her freighter, which she still occasionally uses and has taught her teenage daughter how to fly.

• 1 month later...

You know that I like using Stargate Command and I may use it in the Batman campaign, along with the way station.

Well, as discussed in another string I already suggested merging the Initiative with SGC, which works nicely with the Slayers in your game. I also suggested a Slayer with Wolverine style implanted claws made of orichalcum or another mystical metal (better than a stake, and always handy). Essentially, Faith meets Wolverine.

I can see a vampire with a soul playing a similar role to Teal'c, and using a StarGate to visit Pylea is a keen way to go. Fred Burkle would make a good techie, Wesley, Giles or another Watcher would be a first rate science guy for expeditions. Riley Finn would make an outstanding SG team leader.

And of you really like, you can have Forest develop Intangibility as a nod to his counterpart in the Heroes TV show. ;)

As for a potential villain, Adam meets Two-Face...

Or Joker as a clown-themed Vampire. *grand gesture* "Malkavian, Schmalkavian. I don't go for that "Clan" thing!" Harley Quinn would of course be his evil slayer henchperson.

Other organizations that could be merged with SGC:

-the unit that hunts down the Predators in Predator II (The Predator is an awesome alien villain for a Champions game, though the Predator would probably resort to his laser much sooner as he faces down a 350 pt character).

-XCOM: UFO defense (remember what PC game you were playing in 1995 between Wing Commander releases? If not, here's a reminder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM)

- The Suicide Squad: Recruit your favorite villains to go on those low survival rate missions. Or even the stable ones: Rick Flag, Bronze Tiger, The Enchantress (DC version), Nightshade, Captain Boomerang and Deadshot would be cool additions to a SGC run by Amanda Waller. Nightshade is particularly useful since she has warphole powers.

-It might be interesting to see if the Motherboxes/Boomtubes that Mr Miracle or Darkseid use can be keyed to a Stargate.

-Checkmate (current edition): Mr Terrific, Sasha Bourdeaux and Count Vertigo would probably be useful to have as well.

-The Doom Patrol: the weird govt science b/g fits in nicely with the scientific mission of the StarGate.

-The Fantstic Four: Reed Richards' trips to the Negative Zone could have been research.

-SHIELD. Making SGC a division of SHIELD is a natural.

-Carol Danvers/Miss Marvel: She's Air Force, as I recall. Having a few friendly Kree never hurts either. Plus Skrulls make great enemies.

In my version of the CU, James Collingsworth became President after Doctor Destroyer turned all of Washington between the rivers into rubble. Fortunately for them, the NID's based in Suitland, Maryland and Senator Kinsey was out of Washington, D.C. on business.

Unfortunately for them, three days after becoming President, Mr. Collingsworth told the world about the SGC, NID, and area 51. At the same time, United States Marshals raided the NID building. Their warrent permitted them to seize all files. Some people tried to object, but were shot.

Kinsey was angered and threatened the new administration with obstructionist tactics. One day later, his car exploded while he was being driven to the office. Although the car was greatly damaged, Kinsey was only shaken up. A police investigation showed that M-80s had detonated in the mufflers and catalytic converters.

...United States Marshals raided the NID building. Their warrent permitted them to seize all files. Some people tried to object, but were shot.

Kinsey was angered and threatened the new administration with obstructionist tactics. One day later, his car exploded while he was being driven to the office. Although the car was greatly damaged, Kinsey was only shaken up. A police investigation showed that M-80s had detonated in the mufflers and catalytic converters.

Yikes. No one can accuse Collingsworth of being soft on corruption.

Story Seeds:

Season 1: Jack O'Neall comes to the heroes when it seems his pleas for help (to defend the planet from a future attack) to the government go unanswered.

Season 3-4: When the Replicator threat becomes more serious than they expected, the heroes are asked to help. Unfortunately, the Replicators are immune to most energy attacks...

jak

Yikes. No one can accuse Collingsworth of being soft on corruption.

I should've said "arrested if they refused to comply and shot if they tried to draw a weapon". Knowing the NID from watching Stargate SG-1, many of the NID people would've tried to draw on the marshals.