Vampires in Supers Setting

Vestnik

Re: Vampires in Supers Setting

Totally in agreement on the magic Shaft. I could see cases where the mutant abilities wouldn't make it over, due to the vamp being, well, dead, but I could see a lot of them crossing over.

Of course, the real question is, in the end, does the character have the points for all those expensive vampire powers while retaining his mutant powers/magic/science/ninjutsu/half-dragon-ness. After all, you can barely make a full blown vampire on 350 pts.

Not that this is a bad thing: I'd love to see the look on the Count's face when the beginner PC shrugs off his Transformation, and soliloquies that he doesn't have the points.

Hmmm, I wonder if you can make the vampire's bite a Multiform, usable as an attack... *bad plan* ;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, the real question is, in the end, does the character have the points for all those expensive vampire powers while retaining his mutant powers/magic/science/ninjutsu/half-dragon-ness. After all, you can barely make a full blown vampire on 350 pts.

Not that this is a bad thing: I'd love to see the look on the Count's face when the beginner PC shrugs off his Transformation, and soliloquies that he doesn't have the points.

Hmmm, I wonder if you can make the vampire's bite a Multiform, usable as an attack... *bad plan* ;)

In that case the PC is just dead and rerolls with the same name only as a vampire.

Sorry to bring up something from a few posts back, but CAN you use mental powers on others while desolidified without buying said powers "Affects Real World"?

I was under the impression that you are affected by others mental powers whilst desolid, but your own must be bought with the advantage - I know it doesn't really make sense, but I thought that was part and parcel of the down side you got with such a strong power....

Thanks - CraterMaker

Sorry to bring up something from a few posts back, but CAN you use mental powers on others while desolidified without buying said powers "Affects Real World"?

I was under the impression that you are affected by others mental powers whilst desolid, but your own must be bought with the advantage - I know it doesn't really make sense, but I thought that was part and parcel of the down side you got with such a strong power....

Thanks - CraterMaker

Hmm, the advantage is called "Affects Physical World" p.148 in 5th Ed Revised. I would say that mental powers that affect EGO aren't physical, though this is probably a good question for Steve Long's "Hero System 5th Edition Rules Questions" Thread.

Unless you're going the "vampire=demon-possessed corpse with no knowledge retained from the deceased" road' date=' I don't see why not? [/quote']

Of course, for some adventures/campaigns, vampires into basically Dawn of the Dead-style zombies with a demon providing the motive force and intelligence could make for a very scary twist on the more usual vamp.

But to me, in superhero comic-book inspired stories, probably the best inspiration for a bloodsucker would be Marvel's Tomb of Dracula, now helpfully collected into four of the Marvel Essentials books.

Hmm' date=' the advantage is called "Affects Physical World" p.148 in 5th Ed Revised. I would say that mental powers that affect EGO aren't physical, though this is probably a good question for Steve Long's "Hero System 5th Edition Rules Questions" Thread.[/quote']

While we're at it, if you buy Dispel Desolidification, do you need to buy it Affects Desolidified?

One of the explicit options for Transform under 5E is that of adding abilities to a character who's Transformed. Mechanically it's a matter of rolling against a higher Body total, where the additional Body is based on the number of Character Points that would need to be added to the character to pay for the new abilities.

So the Count would just have to bite more often or more lingeringly. :sneaky:

Thanks - CraterMaker

You are correct, with the usual "GM's permission" caveat. From the FAQ:

Question: Since Mental Powers can automatically affect a Desolidified character, can the Desolidified character automatically affect the physical world and solid characters with Mental Powers?

Answer: No. This isn’t entirely logical or fair, but allowing that would be extremely unbalancing in most situations. As always, the GM can alter this rule if he has a player who won’t abuse the situation, or if he feels he has other means of keeping the problem from negatively affecting the game.

While we're at it' date=' if you buy Dispel Desolidification, do you need to buy it Affects Desolidified?[/quote']

My belief is that you can hit him, but you would have to roll more than the 40 active points (or 80 active points if the guy made it 0 END, persistent) on your dice. (edit: p.148 of 5th Ed. Revised says a dispell specifically against Desolid does not need the advantage).

Likewise, a Major Transform Power can hit a Desolid guy. After that he only needs to roll enough "damage" can turn the Desolid guy back into a Tangible Target. Or a non-sentient soap bubble... ;)

Don't forget, a flash attack can affect a desolid guy without the affects desolid advantage either.

You are correct, with the usual "GM's permission" caveat. From the FAQ:

Question: Since Mental Powers can automatically affect a Desolidified character, can the Desolidified character automatically affect the physical world and solid characters with Mental Powers?

Answer: No. This isn’t entirely logical or fair, but allowing that would be extremely unbalancing in most situations. As always, the GM can alter this rule if he has a player who won’t abuse the situation, or if he feels he has other means of keeping the problem from negatively affecting the game.

Without wanting to sound like I'm "strenuously objecting" to the FAQs, I respectfully submit that allowing a desolid character to use his mental powers is not imbalancing. There are enough ways to counter it, and the "affect desolid" advantage is cheap enough that it can throw off the expensive investment in the Desolidifiucation power.

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to fall back to this ruling if you get a player who falls into the abusive category.

I guess what I'm saying though is to encourage other GMs to give it a fair shot and see if it works for them.

(oh, and Rep for Lord Liaden for listing the reference)