Danny Phantom -- Which ID limitation, if any?

For those unfamiliar with the character, it seems to work like this ...

Human form looks normal; Ghost form has glowing green eyes, white hair, and a hollow voice'.

Transformation is functionally instantaneous; he's almost never, if ever, been interrupted in mid-morph, however he has been prevented from transforming by technology on a few occassions. He often shouts a particular phrase when transforming, but doesn't need to do so.

He seems to have all his super powers in his human form, save flight (he did that once, though), however, in game terms, his stats go up in ghost form, along with his durability.

I'm not sure if this is Hero ID, Multiform, Shapeshift, or just the special effects of an Easily Concealable Distinctive Feature. Any thoughts?

Re: Danny Phantom -- Which ID limitation, if any?

This is a non-build. Almost all his powers can be called on instantly... it's merely SFX of power activation.

The only thing limited is his defense and stat boost with the form shift.

I'd buy the form shift as an Shape Shift(Sight and Sound Groups) with Instant change.

Then I'd link the various boosts to it.

As an alternative, I'd run the stat boosts with the Visible limitation.

However, given the non-shapeshift build, the character would still be recognizable as himself. Activating the powers would change voice, eyes and hair... but he would still possibly be recognizable if somebody ever saw both forms. Note that this still might be unlikely... glowing green eyes would add a pallor to the skin and such. However, I notice that the cloths don't change in the description.

However' date=' given the non-shapeshift build, the character would still be recognizable as himself. Activating the powers would change voice, eyes and hair... but he would still possibly be recognizable if somebody ever saw both forms. Note that this still might be unlikely... glowing green eyes would add a pallor to the skin and such. However, I notice that the cloths don't change in the description.[/quote']

Nobody ever recognizes him, unless they actually see the transformation. And his clothes do change. As "Danny Fenton" he wears jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers. As "Danny Phantom" he has a black bodysuit with silver boots and gloves (and, starting in season 2, a stylized DP on his chest).

His voice doesn't change -- still nobody recognizes him ;)

It's a funny thing, because the show heavily implies that he needs the ghost form: He always transforms if he expects a fight, whether there are witnesses or not; Whenever he's prevented from using his powers, uses up his powers, or is beaten unconscious, he reverts to human form. And yet, he uses pretty much any of his powers from his human form, and is never shown having extra difficulty because he hasn't transformed.

If I were to use him in a game, I'd either treat the transformation the same as putting on a mask, or explain to the player that a game is not TV, and thus s/he can expect to be more consistently inconvenienced by such limitations and disads than you necessarily see on the show. Role-playing game PC's don't get the advantage of different writers not always reading through past episodes or the show bible.

• 2 weeks later...

Such "super-masking" powers are more common in all forms of animation than your would expect. These might be best modeled as Mind Control, One Command Only ("You have no idea that my super identity and my normal one are the same person"), with an advantage that allows you to switch it off is there is a close associate or loved one who you WANT to know your secret. It would be a small enough MC that someone with a high enough EGO could overcome it, but aside from Big Bads such as Vlad Plasmus few people would go to the trouble -- because only the character's True Nemesis would have any real reason to care (just as most members of a superhero's Rogue's gallery don't care who he is when he takes off the mask -- he'll be just as dead when they're done with him either way, and they wouldn't gain a real advantage from knowing.)

I would say Multiform (with Instant Change) and here's why.

There are certain things that only affect him in "ghost form". The best scene of that was when he was trapped in a ghost prison in the Ghost Zone, it took him most of the episode but when he realized that normal matter phased through stuff. He simply went to "human form" and walked out while his ghostly prison guard couldn't do anything about it. There are other times when he pulled the ol' "but in HUMAN form, it has no effect". Too bad, the series isn't very consistant of how "things that affect ghosts" affects him is his human form. His breath becomes visible when ghosts are nearby, even in human form. As was mentioned before, sometimes he can fly in human form, but it has always been very slow and easy to disrupt.

His human form can detect ghosts and ghost artifacts by his breath being visible. While powerful ghosts can make him shiver.

Good point Blue Jogger, but it could just as easily be the prison (and guard) had Limitations that they could only affect ghosts; all Danny needed to do was turn off his ghost powers. Given that, count me in with the "it's just the SFX of his abilities" and add in that unrecognizability while in hero ID is a genre staple of superheroes in nearly every setting.

And yet, he uses pretty much any of his powers from his human form, and is never shown having extra difficulty because he hasn't transformed.

I'm trying to recall. Has he ever used his energy blast and force field in human form? I know using his Ghostly Wail causes him to revert to human form from the strain.

It may be his four original powers from the start of the series that work as a human and his more recently developed powers that require ghost form.

I'm trying to recall. Has he ever used his energy blast and force field in human form? I know using his Ghostly Wail causes him to revert to human form from the strain.

Energy blast, yes -- we saw him give the Jock a hotfoot in the middle of the hallway.

Force Field, I am not sure.

It seems that anything that uses up all of his available power (power-nullifying rays, absorbing large amounts of damage, using a lot of power at once) prevents him from either maintaining the ghost form or using any additional powers. So the ghost form must take some energy to keep up.

It may be his four original powers from the start of the series that work as a human and his more recently developed powers that require ghost form.

Hitting Wikipedia for all the powers, since I'm sure I'll forget one or three ...

Ghost Sense: Part of his new cryonic abilities; occurs in both human and ghost modes.

Intangibility and Invisibility: Both forms.

Flying/Floating/Hovering: Both forms, though only rarely in human form.

Paranormal Strength, Agility, Speed, Durability: Ghost Form only (this is what really brought up the question).

Wall-Walking: Ghost form only (probably an application of his Flight power)

Body Manipulation: Ghost form only (stretching, forming holes in himself)

Overshadowing/Possession: Ghost form only; must inhabit the target's body

Ghost Ray: Both forms

Ghost Shield: As far as I can remember, ghost form only.

Ghostly Wail: Ghost form only, tends to revert him to human form from exhaustion (Accidental Change: At Zero Endurance 14-?)

Duplication: Ghost form only, though he's yet to actually do it right.

Cryokinesis: Ghost form only so far, but as Danny was experiencing massive chills from the cold buildup in human form, I wouldn't be surprised if he can do it in human form.

Think that's everything. :)

• 1 year later...

He does have a mighty number of powers to work with, a veritable tool shed. I joined a game and decided I wanted to play Danny Phantom, but given the standards of my gaming group I didn't want to listen to their crap. I built him OHID on his Stats only (it wasn't easy either he is quite powerful physically speaking I judge roughly 45 str 23-26 dex 30+ con and at least a 5 speed maybe more, plus none of his powers are cheap since almost all of them that aren't attacks are usable simultaneously or area effect.) I built his attacks in a MP and his non stat powers in an EC, although if the GM had allowed I would have put his stats there too, as he doesn't quite fit in 350, at least not if you want to maintain decent DCs. That build was definitely near the end of the series since I didn't have uncontrollable on any of his powers, as that was his first major disad to his non-stats based powers, originally he wasn't very tough or strong nor could he create energy blasts but as his power grew he gained enough to be almost Justice League grade (punches through hardened steel easily enough as Vlad's base is made of the stuff and they throw each other through that like it's tissue paper) at least on the low end. I actually came up short in the stats area anyhow.

Originally I think he started off as a 250, and gained so much experience because of daily ghost fighting, that he was probably in the low to mid 400 point range when all was said and done (which if each episode was a session that is about right) He is also really smart for a 14 year old (he can land a space shuttle and outwit guys 20+ years older than himself, evidenced by almost every fight with Vlad and the episode "Reality Trip") I gave him an 18, he did seem to have trouble in school, until he got better at managing his time but so did Spiderman, and Spidey is in the top 25 of earth's smartest.