Master List of Limitations, HD Prefabs

Edsel

I have completed making a series of HDv3 prefabs that contain all of the Disadvantages from the Master List of Limitations. The zip file attached to this message contains 12 prefabs and a 256-page Word document listing the Disadvantages. The work up through the first half of the letter C was done by Flames (if I am correct) and I completed the task. A lot of typing and cut & paste work.

The original Master List of Limitations came from the Global Guardians Website. Jack Butler is the owner of that site and deserves full credit for the Master List of Limitations.

I won't be surprised if there are several typographical errors that slipped past me, I corrected the ones I noticed as I worked.

These Disadvantages are geared toward a class Champions superhero campaign, but many are useful for other settings as well. BTW these prefabs have also been uploaded to the Hero Designer website.

UPDATED 11/10/2007 The zip files were giving too many people problems. I have posted each of the prefabs as unzipped files starting with post #37 on page 3 of this thread.

-- Eddie "My fingers are numb" Sells

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Master List of Limitations, HD Prefabs

FYI: The prefabs included in zip attachment to post #1 of this thread are the latest and most up to date. I guess I should edit the ones on the Hero Designer site so that they match these. EDIT: I update the ones that needed it on the Hero Designer site on 11/29/2006. Except for the W-Z which was posted by someone other than me.

In the original Master Lists a few Psychological Disadvantages (Code vs. Killing, Will Not Kill, Prefers Not to Kill, etc.) were all lumped together into a single disadvantage called Attitude About Lethal Force. In order to make it work better for Hero Designer I split these up. However since I didn't do the letter A until late I had to go back and add these new disadvantages.

The disadvantages in the Master List of Limitations only cover Limitations (Physical, Psychological and Social). The disadvantages are geared specifically for a superhero campaign and many will not fit very well into other types of campaigns. For my own Dark Champions Campaign (mostly non-super powered) I will probably make copies of these prefabs and then delete and add things to the DC list to make it more properly fit that genre. Others can probably do the same thing for their specific campaigns (Fantasy Hero, Pulp Hero, etc.) to fit their genre and specific setting.

BTW: The Master List of Limitations website seems to be back. I guess there has been a website rebuild of sorts going on.

BTW II: Does anyone know how to contact Jack Butler, the owner of the Global Guardians site? I would have preferred to get his permission before posting the prefabs based upon his work but there seems to be no way to contact him via his website. If you do know send me a PM or email. I figure he doesn't want the world being able to contact him. If he did he would have provided a link.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up to everyone. I have been working on an update to the Master Lists Prefabs. I have been talking with Jack Butler and 16 new Limitations have been added since I produced the prefabs. I hope to have updates posted within a few days.

I just updated post #1 with the latest version of the zip file and I have also updated the prefabs found on the Hero Designer web site. 16 new limitations have been added to the original files. The prefabs for A-B and K through V have been updated.

Added Disadvantages Are:

Lack of Spatial Sense, Overdrive, Poor Eyesight, Repelled by Mirrors, Time Collage, and Tires Easily to the Master List of Physical Limitations.

Always Aware of the Public's Perception of Him, Mischievous, Prefers Chaos and Disorder, Speedster Impatience, Thrives on Chaos, Troublemaker, Uncompromising, and Utterly Evil to the Master List of Psychological Limitations.

Obligated to (Person or Organization) and Seen as an Icon/Paragon to the Master List of Social Limitations.

FYI

At the request of Jack Butler, the original creator of the Master Lists, I have removed the prefabs from the Hero Designer Vault. However, Mr. Butler has given me permission to maintain the zipped copy of the prefabs on these forums. I intend to update these files again when sufficient additions are made.

Okay I replaced the previous version with a new zip file.

When I zipped it last time I probably used the enhanced deflate option and that can cause problems with version compatibility.

Try it now and let me know if it works.

still not able to open

it might be me

I'm using winRAR and XP compessed neither seems to beable to open it what zip program are you using?

! C:\Documents and Settings\Beast\Desktop\MasterLists.zip: Unexpected end of archive

! C:\Documents and Settings\Beast\Desktop\MasterLists.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

The file size is 643kb under properties.

Just to be sure I updated to the most recent version of WinZip (like 5 minutes ago) and replaced the file again. If this doesn't work send me a private message and I can always send you a WinRar copy.

Is anybody else having problems downloading the file?

The first version I posted was done with WinZip 10.0

Since that was not working I upgraded to WinZip 11.0 and made sure that it was set to be backwards compatible with previous versions (all the way back to 2.0 in fact). I can download the file and it checks out to be good. But then so did the version I had originally posted with WinZip 10.0

I guess I will replace the file in post #1 with a WinRar compressed file and see if people have better luck with that.

If this doesn't work I may start a new thread and then upload the various prefabs in their native hdp format individually in a series of messages.

I only have it in the format that I posted it. In order to maintain the name I'd have to go back a re-type every name into the Limitation field and re-type the disadvantage type back into the Display field.

If you are curious as to the reason I did it this way:

In its current format you can use the sort command, when you are in the prefab itself, to sort by display or type. If you sort by type all of the Physical Limitations are listed, followed by Psychological Limitation with Social Limitations at the end. I suppose you could sort in this manner and create three lists and organize them that way. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be a lot less work than re-typing all the fields.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest update has been posted. See post #1 of this thread for the files.

The following additions have been made:

• Animal Intelligence, Cold Blooded, Instinctive Intelligence and Near Human Intelligence were added to the Master List of Physical Limitations.
  • Domesticated and Timid was added to the Master List of Psychological Limitations.