Vast Underground

Jkeown

Re: Vast Underground

I like the idea from Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne), whereby there are ruins of ancient cities that have been built upon for millenia after millenia as different states and civilizations ruise and fall. A good place to place a city is generally a good place to put another one. To top it off, some societies on Tekumel practice a rite of renewal, where every so often (half a millenia or so), cities are razed to ground level and reconstructed. Temples and such like keep access to their old crypts, which over the millenia get deeper and deeper. Gives a workable reason as to why the 'dungeon' exists in the first place.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of the latest Diskworld book I read - Thud.

As Ankh-Morpork is mostly built on silt and also suffers from fires and so forth,

it also has ruins on top of ruins on which the city rests. Most of the ruins are filled with silt - but recently Dwarves were constructing an undercity right underneath, tunnelling from room to room and clearing out the silt. They used a number of artifacts to help them keep the tunnels moisture free.

My particular favorite "underground" region would be from a player-created world called Leirune. Apparently the city of Lanacele sits on top of the ruins of Caldera, home of the Magi who created this anti-deity defense that still stands through the current (7th) Age.

Apparently the Seal gets broken down and recreated at the end of each Age, and the only ones who know how to do this are some egimatic intelligent artifacts. (My suspichion is that they were the people who broke down the previous Seal upon their natural deaths. But I'm not gonna ask the continuity crator about this.)

I'd like to craft a dungeon in the theme of those found in the game Dungeon Keeper.

IMP

5 STR -5

8 DEX -6

5 CON -10

5 BODY -10

7 INT -3

5 EGO -10

5 PRE -5

10 COM 0

1 PD 0

1 ED 0

2 SPD 2

2 REC 0

10 END 0

9 STUN 0

Characteristics -44

10 Short +2 DCV

2 PS: Miner 11-

7 Dance of Ownership: 1D6 Transform 1 Hex Area into Keeper's Lair, Incantantions throughout (-1/2), Must be connected to either the Keeper or another hex with owned by the Keeper. (-1/2). (Assumes that it takes 30 BODY to transform the hex)

29 Enchant the Walls: Entangle, 8 DEF, 8 BODY, Incantantions throughout (-1/2), Extra Time (1 Minute) -1 1/4

5 Dig 1" through 3 DEF, OAF Pick (-1)

9 Tough Skin 3 PD/3 ED Armor

Powers: 62

-15 Physical Limitation: (short 1m tall)

Total: 3 Points

Quote: "Heh heh! OOOFF! Yippee!"

Description: These are the lowest creatures in the Keeper's Dungeon. But without them, no one would build the dungeon, claim territories, or enchant the walls to keep invaders out.

In the game, they have a very reduced need for sleep (although they do occasionally nap and need to be slapped awake), however, they don't really need to eat (except as part of healing).

2 LS: Reduced need to sleep, 8 Hours every month

3 LS: No need to eat.

They are incredibly active creatures and rarely seem to tire. If you really want tireless grunts, give them the following:

2 Tireless: 0 END on 5 STR

6 Tireless: 0 END on 6" Run

And if you really consider how heavy a huge bag of gold/diamonds must be...

7 +10 STR w/0 END, Lim: Only to make the contents of the bag 1/4th as much (-1/2), OAF - Bag of Holding (-1).

Made a mistake on Enchant the Walls, so here's the revised.

IMP

5 STR -5

8 DEX -6

5 CON -10

5 BODY -10

7 INT -3

5 EGO -10

5 PRE -5

10 COM 0

1 PD 0

1 ED 0

2 SPD 2

2 REC 0

10 END 0

9 STUN 0

Characteristics -44

10 Short +2 DCV

2 PS: Miner 11-

7 Dance of Ownership: 1D6 Transform 1 Hex Area into Keeper's Lair, Incantantions throughout (-1/2), Must be connected to either the Keeper or another hex with owned by the Keeper. (-1/2). (Assumes that it takes 30 BODY to transform the hex)

22 Enchant the Walls: 12 DEF, Hardened, 6d6 BODY Entangle, Incantantions throughout (-1/2), Extra Time (1 Minute) -1 1/4, No Range (-1/2), Can only strengthen pre-existing walls (-1)

5 Dig 1" through 3 DEF, OAF Pick (-1)

9 Tough Skin 3 PD/3 ED Armor

2 LS: Reduced need to sleep, 8 Hours every month

3 LS: No need to eat.

2 Tireless: 0 END on 5 STR

6 Tireless: 0 END on 6" Run

7 +10 STR w/0 END, Lim: Only to make the contents of the bag weigh 1/4th as much (-1/2), OAF - Bag of Holding (-1).

Powers: 75

-15 Physical Limitation: (short 1m tall)

Total: 16 Points

Quote: "Heh heh! OOOFF! Yippee!"

Description: These are the lowest creatures in the Keeper's Dungeon. But without them, no one would build the dungeon, claim territories, or enchant the walls to keep invaders out.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the megadisasters show on Megavolcanos? apparently there are five on the planet earth and they are huge caverns slowly filling with lava...... that will eventually explode.

I have a map for a "planar dungeon" imagine a rubber band ball with many different colored rubber bands all of which repersent different regions (ie Red for Romans, Green for undersea, Yellow for Chinese, Blue for Norse etc...) with the "empty spaces" being rooms and doors in odd locations and a floorwarp gravity.

My planar dungeon map ball is bigger than my fist but smaller than my head.