Under the Eagle Standard--Roman HERO

Mastermind

I have been inspired by something that I read recently and am formulating ideas for a HERO game set late 2nd century AD (c 160) in Roman Britain (Legion IX Hispana out of Eburacum or XX Valeria at Chester...Maybe even II Augusta/Ariudutix even)

Characters would be a member of the Legion or support personnel, so not neccessarily heavy infantry. Possible character types/professions/duties are underlined below.

Here's the passage. It is paraphrased from Josephus, The Jewish War

"The vanguard was formed of light-armed auxiliaries and bowmen. These were to engage and repel skirmishers and to probe likely ambush cover. The head of the column proper was a body of heavily armed Roman troops, both mounted and on foot. Next were surveyors, drawn from the centuries of legions, carrying instruments for marking out a camp. Behind them came the pioneers (antecursores), probabaly carrying dolabrae for tree-felling and other tools....A strong calvary force followed with the commander's baggage and that of his staff, behind with rode the commander himself, surrounded by his finest infantry and cavalry and a body of pikemen (hastati). The came the legionary cavalry...employed as scouts and messengers. These horsemen were followed by the artillery...Behind these came the generals, cohort commanders, and tribunes with their infantry guard marching before the sacred aquila, which was surrounded by other legion standards and followed by the trumpeters with their instruments. The main column of infantry stretched out behind, marching six abreast in close dressing, with centurions watching the discipline of the formation. Next came the baggage-train with the tents and general contruction implements, supervised by the camp 'servants'. The rear of the column comprised of mercenaries, along with a strong rearguard of legionary infantry and cavalry"

Granted it is maybe 100 years earlier, and there were advances in the equipment for the armies of Hadrian, Antoninus, and Marcus Aurelius but the composition would still have been similar to Trajan and the Flavians but with even more auxillaries in the cavalry, vanguard and among the mercenaries.

It would be great to share some ideas about this type of game. Lorica segmentata? Chain mail instead? Weapons? Origin of auxillaries? Prefabs ideas (i've seen a martial art set describing 'legionary training')? or comments in general.

Re: Under the Eagle Standard--Roman HERO

There are mounds of wonderful ideas and adventures in antiquity. I'd imagine that some of the best stuff (IMO) would not be about traveling with the Legion into parts here-to unknown but the cut throat wrangling between Senators, Emperors, Clergy, and Diplomats of alien powers (Byzantine, Gaul, Rus, etc...). A game set in Rome itself would be almighty kind of fun.

As always, I'd be tempted to interject a little magic ala Harlans work or Hinterwelts RPG stuff. The people, in general belived in magic, so why not give it a little credance. Obviously not to the level of D&D but some nifty curses, blessings, and the like would go along way towards capturing the mentality.

Playing scouts and other non-decision makers could get repetitive unless the GM was pretty saavy. There are only so many times that scouting for an ambush can be entertaining. Playing a Tribune or something similar removes them from most of the action. Maybe there could be a troupe style play where the players make "political" characters and a cohort of combatants/scouts who do the dirty work. Something in the spirit of Birthright would work well here.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see where you take this.

Or...

You start the players off in a hellacious battle. The conflict is truly staggering, and after over two days of nonstop fighting.... they are the only survivors of their legion.

Winter is setting in, and they need to lick their wounds. They are taken in by a local tribe and become friends.

As loyal Romans, they set out training these people to resist the follow up force that you know is coming.... if the pass falls, the entire region could be in danger.

All sorts of drama. Earning the trust of the people (rescues, hunts, etc), proving yourself (vision quests, etc), ferreting out traitors (intrigue)...

I think it would be fun.

Or...

You start the players off in a hellacious battle. The conflict is truly staggering, and after over two days of nonstop fighting.... they are the only survivors of their legion.

Winter is setting in, and they need to lick their wounds. They are taken in by a local tribe and become friends.

As loyal Romans, they set out training these people to resist the follow up force that you know is coming.... if the pass falls, the entire region could be in danger.

All sorts of drama. Earning the trust of the people (rescues, hunts, etc), proving yourself (vision quests, etc), ferreting out traitors (intrigue)...

I think it would be fun.

Sounds like good stuff.

Or...

I ran a game just like this in Fantasy Hero. It was a blast. The thing is that it has little to do with Rome (in my game it had nothing to with with Rome). Although, the Cusred dagger story still get told in the group from time to time.

Another good period for this kind of game is the very late empire, when things were going pear-shaped. Or, after the Roman withdrawal from Britain, when the Britons were left to fend for themselves against the Picts, Scots and Saxons. The word "Arthur" comes to mind...

Here's an interesting tidbit...

"AD 175 Iazyges make peace with Rome and supply 8,000 warrior hostages, of which 5,500 are sent to Britannia"

--The Sarmatians: 600 BC-AD 450, Brzezinski,et al 2002

Another good period for this kind of game is the very late empire' date=' when things were going pear-shaped. Or, after the Roman withdrawal from Britain, when the Britons were left to fend for themselves against the Picts, Scots and Saxons. The word "Arthur" comes to mind...[/quote']

Synchronicity is cool. From wikipedia:

But in 175, Avidus Cassius led a revolt in the East, interrupting the campaign. At this point, the leading king among the Iazyges, Zanticus, made peace with Marcus Aurelius, yielding up, it is said, 100,000 Roman captives. The Iazyges were also forced to provide the Romans with 8,000 cavalry to serve in the Roman army as auxiliaries. Some 5,500 of these were shipped off to Britain, where, it is theorized, they played a part in the development of the Arthurian legend.

I wonder what sort of part in the Arthurian Legend they fulfilled?

The book I quoted above discusses that a little bit. From what I glanced at, the heavy calvary aspect of the Sarmatians (mostly their lance and somewhat their mounted bow use) contributed greatly to the Roman army of the day, especially the contarii. I think that their use of the draco standard helps with that Arthurian conncection.

There are at least 2 cohorts supsected to be made of Sarmatians (Iazgyes or Roxolani) around Trajan's reign.

The Alans (Sarmatians?) also influenced Arthurian tales in dozens of not so obvious ways. They have a mythical sword held by a female water spirit etc... How much influence they exerted is a bit of a debate but some experts give them credit for the lions share of Arthurian Legend. I'd have to go dig out the Mamoth Book of Arthur to look at specifics.. sorry.

Perhaps.

I am not bugged so much by the Romans. Amazing discipline, society, engineering...

Pretty much everyone was about as violent at the time, the Romans were just better at it (for the most part, at least until their fall).

Now, an era of history that I consider to just be horrifying?

The French Revolution.

Turn anyone's stomach. ;)

Pretty much everyone was about as violent at the time' date=' the Romans were just better at it (for the most part, at least until their fall).[/quote']

Pretty much.

If stuff like the gladiatorial games and so on bug you, go for the later period after they had ended. Of course, that's when the empire was declining...

Now, an era of history that I consider to just to be horrifying?

The French Revolution.

No way, man!

Death to the Scarlet Pimpernel!

The Alans (Sarmatians?) also influenced Arthurian tales in dozens of not so obvious ways. They have a mythical sword held by a female water spirit etc... How much influence they exerted is a bit of a debate but some experts give them credit for the lions share of Arthurian Legend. I'd have to go dig out the Mamoth Book of Arthur to look at specifics.. sorry.

But on the the other hand, they were also responsible for putting Keira Knightley in a battle-bikini...

:)

They seek him here, they seek him there...

Seriously though, not good times.

As Dickens wrote: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". ;)

In fact, it was pretty much the beginning of the modern world, or at least the end of the Middle Ages. A violent and nasty birth, of course, but the Ancien Regime always dies hard.

(Incidentally: the Royalists killed far more people than the revolutionaries did. And more people were killed by the conservative factions after the Terror than were killed during the Terror...)

Perhaps.

I am not bugged so much by the Romans. Amazing discipline, society, engineering...

Pretty much everyone was about as violent at the time, the Romans were just better at it (for the most part, at least until their fall).

Now, an era of history that I consider to just be horrifying?

The French Revolution.

Turn anyone's stomach. ;)

Come to think of it, pretty much any historical setting before around 1800 or so, if rendered with historical accuracy, is stomach-turning by modern Western standards. RPG adaptations of them seldom seem to show the really dark stuff. (How many settings drawing on medieval Europe have, say, witch hunts or holy wars to kill the infidel -- human infidels I mean, not orcs?)

However, to be honest, it is likely that future generations will look at us with similar revulsion as mores change.

Come to think of it' date=' pretty much any historical setting before around 1800 or so, if rendered with historical accuracy, is stomach-turning by modern Western standards.[/quote']

Before 1800? Long after that, unfortunately.

Just last night I was thinking about setting a Champions game in the 50s or 60s. The amount of stuff I was going to have to sweep under the carpet was a little horrifying...

Don't think too hard about the Wild West, either.

Synchronicity is cool. From wikipedia:

But in 175, Avidus Cassius led a revolt in the East, interrupting the campaign. At this point, the leading king among the Iazyges, Zanticus, made peace with Marcus Aurelius, yielding up, it is said, 100,000 Roman captives. The Iazyges were also forced to provide the Romans with 8,000 cavalry to serve in the Roman army as auxiliaries. Some 5,500 of these were shipped off to Britain, where, it is theorized, they played a part in the development of the Arthurian legend.

I wonder what sort of part in the Arthurian Legend they fulfilled?

Aside from the specifics already mentioned, it is said they worshipped a War God in the form of a sword struck upright in the altar.

I'm sure that image seems both evocative and familiar.

Lucius Alexander

Hunted, Palindromedary, <=14

Before 1800? Long after that, unfortunately.

Just last night I was thinking about setting a Champions game in the 50s or 60s. The amount of stuff I was going to have to sweep under the carpet was a little horrifying...

Don't think too hard about the Wild West, either.

Yeah, the players can play brave Indian slayers. :)