GURPS to Hero conversion

RPMiller

Hey all,

I'm currently getting ready to do a complete conversion from GURPS to Hero, and was wondering if anyone has done this or attempted it in the past. If you have spreadsheets or the like that you would care to share with me it would be appreciated.

I have a complete list of all GURPS skills, and I'm planning on simply going down the list and writing down the equivalent for each in the Hero System.

I would also be looking for characteristic, advantages, and disadvantages conversions as well.

When I'm all done I'm planning on having a spreadsheet file with everything in it for easy searching and converting.

I have a huge character spreadsheet I made for GURPS years ago, and I'm thinking about putting the conversion capability into it so that it will go fast, but that is stage two.

So what do you folks have to offer?

If you can get Fantasy HERO 4th Edition, it can help you convert characters. Certain things like combat maneuvers should just be started from scrath, as HERO handles it better than GURPS IMO. Spells are a bit different. I've never gotten GURPS Supers, so I don't know about that.

This will be for a fantasy campaign currently, but I'll probably add supers et el later.

I already know how to do the conversions, but I do appreciate the tips. I'm looking more for work that others have done, and are willing to share.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and as you may know GURPS has A LOT of stuff that needs to be converted.

Since this is a fantasy campaign I would like to start with skills since I have the GURPS "master list" already, and have begun matching them to Hero skills, etc.

When I made that switch, I didn't try to make all the numbers migrate over exactly. Why should they have to? It doesn't matter EXACTLY what a GURPS STR of 14 converts to in Hero. What matters is that the character remains roughly the same in comparison to the rest of the game world. IOW, take the character concept and redesign in Hero, sticking to that same concept.

I went from 150-point GURPS characters to 150-point FH versions of those characters.

If Hero Z is a ex-acrobat turned rogue who knows a few minor spells, then create him like that in Hero. If his GURPS ST is high average, then his Hero STR would be about 15. If his GURPS DX is phenomenal, then his Hero DEX would be about 20, possibly even a 23. High DEX usually means high SPD. Make sure he has lots of DEX-based skills (whatever they call them these days in FRED - I forget. Agility skills?). Etc.

If Hero Q was the renowned for his STR and toughness in GURPS, then he would have a STR of 25 and a PD of 10 in Hero. Etc.

Experience points translate across almost exactly. If you modify, modify downward. GURPS tends to call for a little higher XP award than Hero. So if a character had 60 XP in GURPS, he would get 40 in Hero (multiply all XP totals by 2/3 before applying to base points).

Magic items are pretty easy. A magic sword that does extra damage and glows in the presence of demons is the same in either game. Etc.

Michael Surbrook ("Susano" here on the boards) has quite a few notes on converting GURPS Supers to HERO, and on converting general GURPS Disadvantages, on his fine website, "Surbrook's Stuff":

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/index/index.html

This will take you to the page which links to those conversion notes:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/herosource/herosource.html