Character: Sam Vimes

keithcurtis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Character: Sam Vimes

OK, heres a question.

How to model Morphic Resonance in HERO terms?

Mostly it's just an in-story/in-game explanation for why souls look like the body they inhabited, how Transformation Attacks work and why you turn back into your original form when they wear off or get dispelled, and why Nanny Og's player got to spend some XP and re-write her follower Greebo with Multiform and and Accidental Change.

If you really want to take the "Change Once, Change Back to that Form Again More Easily" rule as a mechanic rather than just color text, I'd make a house rule that objects in Discworld that have been transformed successfully once will have, for a GM determined time afterwards, a 2* vulnerability to transformation attacks that shunt the target into the same form.

Obviously, we would need benchmarks for what is considered "the best".

Lets explore the Primary Characteristics in terms of what character or race epitomizes them

{snip}

COM - Elves?

Actually, that's only an illusion (MI or Images isn't clear: viz. Lords and Ladies).

Also, they have a Psych Lim, "Short Tempered" (one of the original duology has a character saying (as best I can remember) "You wouldn't call 'em short-tempered. Not if you didn't want to carry your teeth home in your hat, you wouldn't")

Strangely enough - morphic resonance doesn't apply to werewolves. Angua is quite attractive - yet her wolf form is described as a bit manky (I believe). At least not as attractive.

Of course it does. It's just that a werewolf has two seperate morphic resonance states.

Lucius Alexander

And the exceptionally symmetrical palindromedary

No' date=' I must disagree on the mankiness of Angua's wolf-form. She has been described as looking as a pedigree hunting dog -- see [i']Jingo![/i]

Angua's wolf form has always been described as looking like a sleek, gorgeous, high class wolfhound. She used that pedigreed look to infiltrate the Assassins guild in her first appearance.

Reading 'Men at Arms' right now. L.Marcus and Oddhat are right.

MaA also contains one of my favorite exchanges. Carrot and Doctor Whiteface.

"Then I am afraid I shall, with extreme reluctance, be forced to carry out the order I was given just before entering."

classic exchange I can't help but laugh so hard I cry.

Mostly it's just an in-story/in-game explanation for why souls look like the body they inhabited, how Transformation Attacks work and why you turn back into your original form when they wear off or get dispelled, and why Nanny Og's player got to spend some XP and re-write her follower Greebo with Multiform and and Accidental Change.

If you really want to take the "Change Once, Change Back to that Form Again More Easily" rule as a mechanic rather than just color text, I'd make a house rule that objects in Discworld that have been transformed successfully once will have, for a GM determined time afterwards, a 2* vulnerability to transformation attacks that shunt the target into the same form.

Yeah, my first thought was "Just SFX" too, but then I pondered a bit more and wasn't so sure. Having a strong Morphic Feild is certainly a good justification for Power Defence in the setting (one of the better SFX examples of PowDef in fiction, IMHO). There might be a classy way to model it by adding the "opposable" modifier to RSR. I'm not sure.

Do you mean the scene with Sally the Vampire?

Paraphrasing: "We're naked, we're squaring up to fight, and we're covered in mud. We're only missing one thing... a paying audience, we could make a fortune."

Chuckle.

Do you mean the scene with Sally the Vampire?

Paraphrasing: "We're naked, we're squaring up to fight, and we're covered in mud. We're only missing one thing... a paying audience, we could make a fortune."

Chuckle.

That's the one. I was just too lazy to go look it up.

Keith "Fetch me another soda while your at it, V." Curtis

Keith "Fetch me another soda while your at it, V." Curtis

Why certainly Mr Curtis, nothing would give me greater pleasure.

(Soda means soft drink in English right? I don't want to agree to anything immoral by accident)

>grins< I just like to be clear when addressing the transatlantic audience. Oh how my mind boggled when I heard an American friend tell me how he used to enjoy wearing suspenders but discovered they weren't acceptable in his workplace.

Well naturally, thinks I, but said nothing...

>grins< I just like to be clear when addressing the transatlantic audience. Oh how my mind boggled when I heard an American friend tell me how he used to enjoy wearing suspenders but discovered they weren't acceptable in his workplace.

Which leads to a joking DND conversion in an early FH game:

Braces of Defense: These magically-enchanted devices not only improve your armor (through Force Field), but they also help to keep up your trousers.

JoeG

Okay, I'll bite what do suspenders refer to across the pond?

If you have to, PM me.

They suspend thigh high stockings.

We'd call 'em a garter belt.

Are you sure you don't mean a garter?

A garter belt goes around the waist and has elastic bands that stretch down and clip to the tops of the stockings. Or that's what I thought?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks: Lucius, are you trying to tell an expert what's what again?

The palindromedary also asks: What was this thread supposed to be about again?