• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Character: Sam Vimes

:)

Keith "You make me smile" Curtis

PS. Nobby has the Perk: Probably not the Earl of Ankh

I thought that was a reputation?

Lucius Alexander

Perk: Head of Palindromedary Enterprises. Which raises the question: Where's the other Head?

Very Nice! I picked up "Bonk!" yesterday and couldn't put it down.. Re-reading it again today. If I may so humbly suggest -

Vimes despises using magic to solve problems.. Maby a psych lim?

-

Maby a +1 with all Per, not because his senses are exceptionally good, but because he is suspicious of everything and everyone - he is so suspicious that Assassins haven't been able to get the drop on him, even when he's shaving.

-

Maby a specific KS of the Assassins guild to reflect is thorough knowledge of how they operate, their weapons and tactics and thought processes

-

A KS: Poverty - his growing up poor has allowed him special insight in the habits and thinking processes of others in the same situation

-

At the beginning of "Bonk!" he's got around 180 gaurdsmen he's in charge of - and he's perfectly happy to use them to make life miserable for those who've attracted his attention. This probably falls under his huge perk, tho...

-

I'd add a Watched By The Ankh-Morpork press - Tho not antagonistical, their purposes are at odds, and they regularly make life difficult for Vimes

-

A KS - Common Ankh-Morpork Criminals

Thats all I can think of... Thank you for writing him up, and I hope you do the same treatment for other notable characters of the series. (I'm particularily interested in a write-up for Golems like Dorfl.. in my mind they might be tricky inthe Hero system to accurately portray..)

-CraterMaker

Very Nice! I picked up "Bonk!" yesterday and couldn't put it down.. Re-reading it again today. If I may so humbly suggest -

Vimes despises using magic to solve problems.. Maby a psych lim?

He's already so loaded with psych lims, I could keep piling them on all day. That should probably be a personality quirk, since he has used magic in the past (he uses an imp for filing, a broomstick-enhanced cart in Thud!, etc.)

-

Maby a +1 with all Per, not because his senses are exceptionally good, but because he is suspicious of everything and everyone - he is so suspicious that Assassins haven't been able to get the drop on him, even when he's shaving.

His Danger sense should cover that. Beyond that, he's got buckets of things like Deduction, Criminology, etc.

-

Maby a specific KS of the Assassins guild to reflect is thorough knowledge of how they operate, their weapons and tactics and thought processes

That's a good point and should be in there.

A KS: Poverty - his growing up poor has allowed him special insight in the habits and thinking processes of others in the same situation

His Ankh-Morpork City and Culture knowledge combined with high Streetwise should cover that. I'm loathe to add more than necessary to an already admittedly costly character.

-

At the beginning of "Bonk!" he's got around 180 gaurdsmen he's in charge of - and he's perfectly happy to use them to make life miserable for those who've attracted his attention. This probably falls under his huge perk, tho...

-

I'd add a Watched By The Ankh-Morpork press - Tho not antagonistical, their purposes are at odds, and they regularly make life difficult for Vimes

I think maybe a Public ID might be in order. That would also cover how his enemies know where to find him.

A KS - Common Ankh-Morpork Criminals

Definitely

Thats all I can think of... Thank you for writing him up, and I hope you do the same treatment for other notable characters of the series. (I'm particularily interested in a write-up for Golems like Dorfl.. in my mind they might be tricky inthe Hero system to accurately portray..)

-CraterMaker

The biggest hurdle I face in writing up some characters is how to handle magic. Beyond a could of general rules, Discworld magic isn't terribly detailed. I'd like to just give characters like Mustrum Ridcully or Granny Weatherwax a general power number indicating the levelof stuff they can do. Maybe a VPP with a few standard limitations?

BTW, as said above, the book is "Thud!". Bonk is the name of the Uberwald town in "The Fifth Elephant."

Keith "Thanks for the suggestions" Curtis

The biggest hurdle I face in writing up some characters is how to handle magic. Beyond a could of general rules, Discworld magic isn't terribly detailed. I'd like to just give characters like Mustrum Ridcully or Granny Weatherwax a general power number indicating the levelof stuff they can do. Maybe a VPP with a few standard limitations?

The rules of Discworld magic changed a great deal from book to book, even with the same styles. As a rough compromise, I generally ruled that:

All Discworld Wizards and Witches are considered to either have a VPP with Power Skill or a Multipower with Power Skill.

Wizards tend to pile more limitations on their spells than Witches, particularly Delayed Effect, Charges and Side Effect: Summon Things from the Dungeon Dimensions. Note that this becomes much less common in the later books, though you still get Ridcully asking "Does anyone have a _______" and such. Wizards are also fond of END batteries. Witches tend to go for Mental powers more than Wizards, and tend to avoid layering on the limits, but can get just as elaborate as their opposite numbers. Both groups like focuses.

Some spells, most notably the Great Spell once trapped in Rincewind's head, can be built either as Spirit Contacts, Favors, or Followers. Rincewind's Great Spell may even have counted as a Watched, as it was manipulating his life to get itself said at the appropriate time.

All spells have a -1/2 limit "Only with sufficient Narrativium", and some characters like Granny will have training in Analyze Narrative and related skills.

Wizards tend to pile more limitations on their spells than Witches' date=' particularly Delayed Effect, Charges and Side Effect: Summon Things from the Dungeon Dimensions. Note that this becomes much less common in the later books, though you still get Ridcully asking "Does anyone have a _______" and such.[/quote']

I would call this a Psychological Disadvantage: thinks Expendable Foci are required, which allows them an EGO roll to overcome it and they can sensibly buy off the Disadvantage later on (whereas an actual Focus, if required, could not so easily just be "bought off").

Wizards seem to need to prepare specific spells, though they can store quite a number of them in staffs and such. As stated, their biggest drawback is too much used by the inexperienced draws attention from the Dungeon Dimensions. With witches, it brings on the cackle, gingerbread cottages and oven doors: Black Alys.

It's an interesting contrast that the greatest threat to a wizard's misuse of power comes from the outside, while a witch's danger comes from within. Granny certainly goes to enormous lengths to avoid magic-dependance, such as the business with stopping the sword at the Opera House.

Keith "I love talking Discworld" Curtis

Pratchett explained the discrepancies between books as that the first explanations were given from Rincewind's point of view, and that they were wrong, because, you know, there are bacteria with a more accurate grasp on the theory and practice of magic.

And I much prefer Il Porcupinam Nil Sodomy Est.

Obviously, we would need benchmarks for what is considered "the best".

Lets explore the Primary Characteristics in terms of what character or race epitomizes them

STR - Trolls

DEX - Vampires?

CON - Golems? no, they don't ever get tired.

BOD

INT - Vetinari

EGO - Granny Weatherwax

PRE - Carrot

COM - Elves?

Keith "Any ideas?" Curtis

Death would have massive amounts of PRE' date=' Only Versus Mortals (-½). Remember the job guy from Mort? :D[/quote']

Plus, Death has THE VOICE, as does Susan.

I don't really see each character as embodying a single HERO stat. Their stats tend to go up and down as the narrative demands.