Running jokes in your campaign

MilkmanDan

Guest steamteck

Re: Running jokes in your campaign

Did it really?

Yes it did as Sinanju said, But my wife (Julie) really really tried to disbelieve it. She's over here now saying "those were the days" Gad Sinanju I can't believe you remember all my insane sources of inspiration back then. You really got it covered. Well its so much (Cough! Cough!) more normal in my campaigns now. ( and it was an INTELLIGENT white gorilla without a wrinkled suit BTW)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I was trying to be all literary and clever and refered to some goons as "gorillas in wrinkled suits" and the players thought they really WERE gorillas. Now I can never use that phrase again but its constantly brought up. Any actual intelligent gorilla is now required to wear a wrinkled suit.

Lucky they didnt' think you meant "guerrillas."

Lucius Alexander

Monkeying around with a palindromedary

There was a player in one of my 3d edition Champions campaigns who once declared "I block his fist!" after he'd already used his phase that segment. I explained that he had no further actions until later and since he'd already acted this segment there wasn't anything he could do. He amended his declaration to "I block his fist with my face!" That became his character's battlecry.

That same player ran the only PC to be rescued by his (25-point normal) sidekick in any of my campaigns.

......ok' date=' wait, is there a good story behind the sidekick rescuing him? Because if so, I wanna hear it.[/quote']

That player was a fun guy to hang with even when not gaming. He completely grokked role-playing and had a wild sense of humor.

Lightning was a kind-of super speedster. He could "teleport" short distances by running really, really fast. His rapid movement generated static electricity that could be used to zap someone (NND: insulated or ungrounded).

In his secret ID, Lightning was beer-buddies with his next-door neighbor, an auto mechanic. As part of Lightning's backstory, the mechanic discovered that his best buddy was, in reality, Lightning, the really cool superhero. In a fit of hero-worship, the mechanic decided to become Lightning's sidekick, The Mechanic!

The Mechanic was a marginally competent normal DNPC. Whenever Lightning was in the news (and The Mechanic wasn't working on someone's car), he would jump onto his "specially modified" Honda 305 Dream (instead of Honda, the signage read The Mechanic) and rush to the scene of the action. The mechanic was mostly a comic relief character, but had some useful abilities such as a small VPP for making low-zut gadgets (things in his superhero toolbox), a couple levels with HTH skills and extra dice with hand-to-hand damage when he used his toolbox as a club.

Once, The Mechanic was kidnapped by Dr. Vivisector (a low-budget Lex Luthor kind of villain who dressed and acted as though he were in a Republic serial) as part of a plan to capture Lightning. Lightning and his super allies fought their way into Dr. V's hidden underground laboratory. While Lightning's allies occupied Dr. V's henchmen, Lightning searched for his sidekick. When he found the Mechanic, he walked right into Dr. V's trap, a force-globe that negated Lightning's powers by grounding him (his one big weakness).

Dr. Vivisector could not resist the opportunity to gloat and explain his evil plan (at tedious length, and frequntly breaking into maniacal laughter) which gave The Mechanic time to squirm out of the ropes which bound him. He was then able to sneak up behind the monologging Vivisector and brain him with the chair he had been tied to.

The story you have just read is true. Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty and cover for the fact that it's been over 20 years and I can't remember all the names anymore. It might not have happened exactly like this, but something pretty close did. No sidekicks were harmed during the making of this anecdote.

no Champions running jokes in our campaign yet, but I do have a few old d20 moments:

in star wars, one NPC named Bob would die all the time and come back immediately (we were young, and didn't take it seriously). We went so far as to say he had negative stats, and a tissue paper could kill him (and did). One jedi turned to the dark side after a single game sesion of taking out his frustrations on him. He was used for some distrubing things, like a force adept earning a record number of dark side points, to have his bodies create a hill to get access to the roof of a building, and for various comedic demonstrations of how a lightsabre works on flesh.

In a Dnd campaign, one player had her horse die every session it showed up (she ened up with Jade #14 last time we played).

In every game I've run for the past 15 years, there has been a blonde woman named Daphne. The players wait for her like Christmas Day. When she does appear (as a villian, PC, Computer AI, hologram, annoying transdimensional girl-scientist) cheers erupt.

She's not shown up in the D&D game on Saturdays, but she's an AI in our Sunday Champions game. Her avatar is the same face she's always had, and whose voice you hear when you call the base.

I've always thought she was the same person, reborn over and over in each time period or alternate dimension. One day, all these Daphnes will appear at once to cause the PCs no end of grief, probably in my BESM version of Lords of Creation (rep to you if you know that old game)

I've always thought she was the same person' date=' reborn over and over in each time period or alternate dimension. One day, all these Daphnes will appear at once to cause the PCs no end of grief, probably in my [b']BESM[/b] version of Lords of Creation (rep to you if you know that old game)

I recognize the name... but that's all.