Steve if You have Time

Ndreare

Is their a way Rules legal to get Missile Deflection for melee attacks.

A look at the post “This is Really Frustrating Me†would give you an idea of the original topic.

Trying to keep it simple so as not to burn to much of your time. (Keep writing that grimore)

But what sense does it make from a system perspective if an almost identically-functioning ability that is in no way whatsoever more powerful is vastly more "elaborate and expensive?"

That would be like Energy Blast being 5 points for a DC of damage and Killing Attack being 75 points per DC (and incredibly more complicated and unintuitive) for no obvious logical reason.

Isn't this a system flaw? Can nothing be done to fix it? Maybe Deflection/Reflection can be expanded to include legal missle and melee variants if FREd is ever revised or a new edition is released?

I don't see it as a system flaw at all. If you do, feel free to fix it for your own campaign.

Well, I suppose that if you wanted to explain why having staggeringly and irreconcilably different costs for almost identical abilities is a actually a preferred approach for the system, you would have. I still don't understand it at all on any level. I just think things should cost what they're worth relative to other, similar abilities.

At least I tried. Thanks.

*sigh* :(

Fortunately, the esteemed Mr. Long has already given us an easy, relatively painless way to do just what you want. See FREd, chapter 6 beginning on page 347, and paying particular attention to page 354.

Yamo, I know you don't like house rules, but consider this: is it worth it to go with an incredibly baroque construct that just drips with gooey, melty mozarella and Velveeta, or would you rather go with something whose relative point cost fits in with the pre-existing construct similar to the one you're trying to come up with?

Fortunately, the esteemed Mr. Long has already given us an easy, relatively painless way to do just what you want. See FREd, chapter 6 beginning on page 347, and paying particular attention to page 354.

Yamo, I know you don't like house rules, but consider this: is it worth it to go with an incredibly baroque construct that just drips with gooey, melty mozarella and Velveeta, or would you rather go with something whose relative point cost fits in with the pre-existing construct similar to the one you're trying to come up with?

True, but the book says that creating new Powers should only rarely be necessary. I just don't know that I can accept that this should be one of those rare cases. I'd rather just see Deflection/Reflection modified in future editions.

Originally posted by Yamo

True, but the book says that creating new Powers should only rarely be necessary. I just don't know that I can accept that this should be one of those rare cases. I'd rather just see Deflection/Reflection modified in future editions.

Well, given you (and I think I) part company with HERO on the cost/utility, this would in fact seem to be "one of those rare cases".

I am guessing the reason Steve feels melee reflection would be costly is that in superhero games hitting/melee is very common, arguably massively moreso than specifically ranged combat that missile deflection/reflection guards against. If you do feel it is massively more common, than this power in melee would be massively more useful and open to abuse.

I don't think I feel that way but then again I am a very liberal constructionist of HERO and part ways with a lot of its presumptions. Still, trying to set aside by bias (don't know if I'm doing so successfully), I do think you have a philosophical departure on this one area with HERO which justifies house-ruling and/or a new limitation/advantage on missile deflection/reflection (I put "and/or" as I'm not sure whether you view the latter as a true house rule).

Am I missing something?

Wouldn't the best way to build this power be:

- EB (physical), Damage Shield, only as many dice as hit with.

- Armor, trigger, only to simulate blocked attacks (perhaps a skill roll)

Was I missing something in that thread and this one? This melee deflecting power seems very straight-forward to me.

Originally posted by BlackCobra

Am I missing something?

Wouldn't the best way to build this power be:

- EB (physical), Damage Shield, only as many dice as hit with.

- Armor, trigger, only to simulate blocked attacks (perhaps a skill roll)

Was I missing something in that thread and this one? This melee deflecting power seems very straight-forward to me.

Well, I belive the poster did not want the "as many dice as hit with" limitation and he wanted to ensure the actual attack reflected, with all its advantages and limitations.