How To: Suspended Animation

Thia Halmades

Re: How To: Suspended Animation

The trick with the Wind Wall is that it's really 3 effects, all happening at once.

1) It blocks arrows & small flying creatures. Easy peasy.

2) It blocks gaseous state creatures. Which is a heavily modified Life Support that Affects Desolid. It really doesn't MATTER where the Affects Desolid goes, that's just where I stuck it. It's a gas, it's an anti-gas LS, and it says I can do it in the book.

3) It also deflects all incoming attacks, which a plain old Force Wall don't do.

On top of that, it's expensive to build it in any of the conventional ways; if the wall is tough enough, it's expensive. If it's too weak, you lose the effect. You could even ask, "Is there a "wall" there at all?" If there isn't, how do you stop the small birds? :ugly: I'm wondering if the small birds are a non-combat effect that I should hand wave.

We used to allow DCV levels to be bought AoE so that a whole area was harder to hit, as was anything inside it, and I'm thinking that the problem with force wall is that once it is down, it is down...

AOE 10 STR TK (to deflect small creatures) + increased (limited to missile weapons and gas attacks) DCV UOO would seem to be closer on my reading.

As for the gaseous creatures not being able to pass, just make sure you buy all gaseous creatues with a 'can't cross a wind wall' limitation :)

As for the gaseous creatures not being able to pass' date=' just make sure you buy all gaseous creatues with a 'can't cross a wind wall' limitation :)[/quote']

/smack

I really hate you people sometimes. This is the sort of weird twisty mentally inverted thinking that drives me bonkers. I'm not going to retcon every gaseous creature on the planet to "cannot cross Wind-Wall." What is that? A 0 point disad?!

YEARGH.

/smack

I really hate you people sometimes. This is the sort of weird twisty mentally inverted thinking that drives me bonkers. I'm not going to retcon every gaseous creature on the planet to "cannot cross Wind-Wall." What is that? A 0 point disad?!

YEARGH.

Always nice to be appreciated :)

I have actually used this before: all supernatural creatures in a campaign I ran (superhero) had a disadvantage (physical, greatly, infrequent) that they could not cross properly constructed mystical barriers: basically any normal with a stick of chalk could keep out vampires. One of the characters was a were-leopard, you see :D

You ARE appreciated. Right now you're being appreciated with this heaven wooden mallet. :D See? Feels better already!

To be fair, I see what you're saying, but I am personally not a fan of that kind of inversion. The onus is on the power to pay for the effect 95% of the time. The other 5% are specific instances outside of the norm. What you said does make sense -- from a HERO point of view, but I prefer to have the power paid for in full on the power's side.

And while I'm on the subject...

13 Blink [Transmutation]: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Desolidification (affected by Seeing/Striking Aethereal; Force Effects), Take 1/2 Damage From AOEs, Take 1/2 Damage From Falls, Side Effects (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage, Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Character Blinks Across Planes (Prime Material to Aetherial); +0) (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Requires A Transmutation Roll (-1/2), Spell (Transmutation; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Activation Roll 8-, Your Attacks or Spells Land in the "Wrong Plane."; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power (Activation Roll 8- if opponent can See Aethereal or Strike Aethereal; -1/4), Limited Power (Power Fails vs. Opponents who can See & Strike Aethereal Creatures; -1/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Yuck. I can't tell if it's grossly overcomplicated and right, or just grossly overcomplicated.

2) It blocks gaseous state creatures. Which is a heavily modified Life Support that Affects Desolid. It really doesn't MATTER where the Affects Desolid goes, that's just where I stuck it. It's a gas, it's an anti-gas LS, and it says I can do it in the book.

At first I was all, whiskey tango foxtrot? And then I saw where you were going with it. (Reasoning: Life Support can create a gas, air. Life Support creating a gas can keep out a hostile gas, say, methane. Therefore, Life Support can keep out a creature made of gas.)

Except that's wrong. Life Support doesn't stop anything, so Life Support can't keep out a gaseous form creature. (Ask yourself this: could Life Support without Affects Desolid keep out a non-Desolid creature?)

Properly, apply Affects Desolid to the Force Wall, then lose the Life Support. (Fun fact: A 1 DEF Force Wall will keep out a desolid creature, who then can't affect it in any way without Affects Solids!)

... (Fun fact: A 1 DEF Force Wall will keep out a desolid creature' date=' who then can't affect it in any way without Affects Solids!)[/quote']

Are you referring to a Force Wall with the Affects Desol Advantage? If so, a Desol character CAN affect it regardless of whether they have the Affects Solids Advantage.

That's like saying that if The Joker hides a dozen bombs throughout Metropolis inside of lead lined boxes that Superman can't find them with his X-Ray vision. Of course he can. Probably even faster than if they weren't in the boxes. The lead lining just make them stand out in contrast against everything else that he can see through.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea about stasis that no one brought up already, and i know you are all past that, but i wanted to throw this out there

what about suppress STUN with a continuing charge lasting a few days?

when the charge wears off, they wake up?

or suppress body if you are hard core, they die, and then get it back when the charge wears off

You ARE appreciated. Right now you're being appreciated with this heaven wooden mallet. :D See? Feels better already!

To be fair, I see what you're saying, but I am personally not a fan of that kind of inversion. The onus is on the power to pay for the effect 95% of the time. The other 5% are specific instances outside of the norm. What you said does make sense -- from a HERO point of view, but I prefer to have the power paid for in full on the power's side.

I don't see it as an inversion, or even a limitation...

I see it as a natural aspect of the "Gaseous Form" Desolidification, as in the "reasonably common" SFX that can effect the Desolid include Wind (a fairly common element of gas form Desolids, as well as a common removal contition for Continousus Uncontrolled Gas attacks).

Oh, and the new version of the Invisiblity Sphere you posted should probably have a small limit noting that it's, well, a sphere ;)