Wrestling HERO

The Main Man

Re: Wrestling HERO

Recently a friend of mine got the Know Your Role! RPG and we quickly became curious as to making a HERO version of professional wrestling.

Right now we are somewhat lost.

Insight?

Advice bit #1: Get The Ultimate Martial Artist (Used, damaged or in PDF). It addresses Professional Wrestling.

Advice bit #2: (For the more patient) Wait for Lucha Libre HERO to come out & adapt what you need

Advice bit #1: Get The Ultimate Martial Artist (Used, damaged or in PDF). It addresses Professional Wrestling.

Advice bit #2: (For the more patient) Wait for Lucha Libre HERO to come out & adapt what you need

There is a lot of good stuff in UMA including ways to design new manuvers and a rediculous amount of premade manuvers. A large element of the game would have to to be the Reputation perk,

World famous wrestler: Reputation 14- large group +4/+4d6 12pts

There is a lot of good stuff in UMA including ways to design new manuvers and a rediculous amount of premade manuvers. A large element of the game would have to to be the Reputation perk,

World famous wrestler: Reputation 14- large group +4/+4d6 12pts

Honestly, my personal feelings are that a Pro wrestler is best depicted by a large Rep as you mention, acting skill, breakfall, and maybe some martial arts, if the wrestler knows how to use his moves to actually hurt someone. If tyhey get the MA's, levels with Pulling the Punch would be appropriate, as would a Style Disad (I've done a bunch of stage fighting, and it can be hard to adapt your subconcious to real fighting after you've done a lot of the fake stuff).

A lot would depend on whether you want the matches to be "fictionally real", worked, or shoots. If it was fictionally real, you wouldn't need to worry about acting skills though reputation would remain important, perhaps with different aspects to represent heat with both the crowd, and backstage/management. If it is worked like in the real world, ps: acting would be all important, and most of the aspects of UMA would be unimportant. Shoot wrestling would be the easiest to pull off, ala Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling and the later days of the old Japanese UWF, and UMA would be indispensable for this.

Well, I have UMA, and while it does have Martial Maneuver creation rules, I want to preserve kayfabe in the game, and I have worked some of this out.

There is a LOT of house ruling, but I think it simulates Know Your Role! rather well.

You be the judge.

But otherwise, I am trying to create real wrestlers for the game and that is actually more where I am stuck, since it is all a work.

Wrestling Moves

A wrestler may use the Basic Combat Maneuvers to simulate any wrestling move within their limits.

A wrestler buys Martial Combat Maneuvers to simulate moves that are identified with themselves, whether a staple, signature, or finisher.

A wrestler should buy extra CSL’s specifically for Martial Maneuvers that are Signature and Finisher Moves.

Martial Maneuver Improvisation

Wrestlers may improvise a Martial Maneuver with the Power Skill which becomes the “Maneuver” skill.

The Maneuver skill is based on the SFX of the given maneuver, with an appropriate CHAR base for the skill. See below.

Aerial (DEX) - Maneuvers that require a wrestler to be agile.

Power (STR) - Maneuvers that use a wrestler’s raw physical strength.

Rough (CON) - Maneuvers that only the toughest of the tough would dare to use.

Savvy (PRE) - Maneuvers that charismatic wrestlers are more likely to get away with using.

Simple (General) - The bread-and-butter maneuvers that any wrestler would probably know.

Technical (INT) - Maneuvers that require in-depth knowledge of wrestling.

The Maneuver skill can be used Untrained (see The Ultimate Skill); the Simple Maneuvers skill is an Everyman Skill.

When improvising, the wrestler designs a Martial Maneuver using the rules from The Ultimate Martial Artist.

The wrestler takes a penalty to their Maneuver skill equal to the cost of the Martial Maneuver.

Contests

Most match victories will involve having contests that give the match a chance to continue without ending abruptly.

There are three basic kinds of contests and one special contest:

Agility (DEX vs. DEX) - Does the attacker have a firm enough grip?

Willpower (EGO vs. EGO) - Who wants to win more?

Popularity (PRE vs. PRE) - Who is more popular with the fans?

Toughness (CON vs. CON) - Special! (Hardcore Matches Only) Who is tougher?

A wrestler has a cumulative penalty of -1 to any contest for every 10 STUN lost.

A Knocked Out wrestler cannot enter contests with their attacker.

A wrestler has a cumulative penalty of -2 for every repeated contest.

Pinning

The attacker Grabs the defender and pins the opponent to the ground.

The defender determines a Contest for each count, with the Ref counting “1” for each contest that the attacker wins.

If the defender loses three contests in a single pin attempt, they lose the match.

If at any count the defender wins a STR vs. STR contest at the beginning of a Phase, they break out and do not need to engage in a Contest.

The Ref (SPD 2) begins the count on his first available Phase and must act in DEX order

A Ref can Hold his Action to count, but he cannot Abort to count.

Submission

The attacker Grabs the defender and applies Crushing damage.

Each Phase, the wrestlers have a Contest of their choice after the initial STR vs. STR contest.

If the attacker misses his attack roll to Crush, the hold is broken.

Knock Out

A Knock Out count starts at the end of a Phase in which the defender of the last attack loses enough STUN to be knocked out.

The Ref begins the count on his first available Phase and counts “1” for every Two Segments that go by that the defender does not get back up.

Every Phase, the defending wrestler can use a Contest roll to regain STUN.

The defender recovers +1 STUN for every point they make their roll by.

If the defender is at 0 STUN or less, they follow the normal Recovery rules.

If the defender cannot REC enough STUN and get up in 20 Segments he loses by Knock Out.

Count Out

If a wrestler exit’s the ring, the Ref begins counting on his first available Phase.

The Ref counts “1” every Two Segments, and if he reaches the designated number (usually 10, 15, or 20) the wrestlers outside of the ring lose the match by forfeit.

A Ref restarts his count if another wrestler exit’s the ring, in which case they both forfeit the match if the Ref reaches the designated number.

Disqualification

If a wrestler performs a maneuver or tactic that is considered illegal, the Ref may disqualify the offending wrestler.

If a wrestler does something illegal behind the Ref’s back, the Ref may make a PER roll to see it.

A Ref must see the act; it doesn’t matter if they think that the heard it, smelt it, tasted it, or felt it; they must see it.

The notable exception is if the Ref is deliberately attacked, in which case the offending wrestler is disqualified

Cages

A wrestler makes a Climbing roll every Phase and climbs 1” for every successful Climbing roll.

If a wrestler fails their Climbing roll at any time, they fall off and might take Falling damage.

If a wrestler manages to climb to the top of the cage, they must make one last Climbing roll to go over the top.

These same rules apply to climbing inside of an Elimination Chamber or a Hell in a Cell.

Another wrestler can grab the cage and shake it, making a special STR Roll vs. STR Roll contest.

If the attacker wins the contest, the defender is at -1 per point of disparity.

Ladders

A character climbs a ladder by making a Climbing roll to move up 1” every Phase.

When the character is officially within reach of the prize, or about 1”, the wrestlers engage in a Contest.

If the attacker reaches the top of a tall ladder, he has +3 bonus to his Contest roll.

Tables

A table has 3 BODY, 3 DEF for purposes of breaking it.

Before a table is broken both wrestlers engage in a Contest.

If the attacker wins, they advance to break the table. If the defender wins, they break away and the match continues.

Battle Royals

If an attacker manages to topple a defending wrestler over the top rope, they have Contests on their Phases until one of them fails a roll.

If wrestlers join the contest, the Contest roll is based off the highest rank wrestler in that contest, and +1 per additional wrestler.

If the attacker(s) win, the defender falls to the floor and are eliminated. If the defender(s) win, they fight off the attackers and return to the ring.

If a wrestler in a contest is Stunned, they automatically lose the next contest.

If a wrestler in a contest is Knocked Out, they fall and are eliminated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a wrestling adaptation myself, and thought I'd chime in.

Finsher Submissions- In Pro Wrestling, submissions punish, but don't cause permanent damage. I think that joint holds (nnds) work fine for normal holds (surfboards, Boston Crabs, etc), but the money submissions (stfs, sharpshooter, anklelock) could be done as a Drain Ego power, with modifiers (continuous, must be holding an opponents limb, must make a KS:submission, whatever). I got the idea from a character in Predators, a sort of master of torture. When the victim of the hold loses enough of his ego, he gives up/taps out (depending on era).

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I've been thinking more about the submission hold idea by Gorillagrod and I think that maybe submission holds could function as a Drain STR, DEX, EGO, or PRE to correlate with my idea of Contests.

Now, as to whether it is a +1/4 advantage or if the player picks one when the wrestler is created is something to determine.

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be "Battles Royal."

Nazi>

Sorry. They'll take away my English degree if I don't do stuff like that from time to time. It's out of my hands.

Thanks to that tonight for dinner I went to Burger King and said 'Hello, I'd like to order two Whoppers Junior.' The girl serving me said 'O.K... Wait; what?'

You were asking about the Whit Publications' WWF RPG in the NGD. I have that book (playtested the game too) and unfortunately there's no real way to translate to HERO. It's a very specialized system, and with fatigue levels and all the translation doesn't quite work.

I'll give a very quick rundown: Every wrestling move conceivable is available as a different maneuver in the game and they're assigned to different categories: brawling, martial arts, technical, strength, and aerial (iirc). Every wrestler has all of these categories available, but at different skill levels. Therefore, every wrestler had hundreds of different maneuvers available, though some would not be very skilled.

On each round of combat both wrestlers chose a maneuver and rolled for success. If the player with initiative succeeds, his move works. If the player with initiative fails and the opponent succeeds, the opponent's move, or countermove, works and he gains initiative. If they both fail then it counts as a lockup with neither move going off and the player with initiative retains initiative.

Hit me with any questions and I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

Actually, that sounds similar to Know Your Role!'s combat, which is a D20 derivative.

In Know Your Role, wrestling maneuvers are improvised most of the time, with a table of values to make an attack roll vs. attack roll, replacing the attack roll vs. armor class.

That's cool that you playtested the other game though.

By the way, here is the most comprehensive index of wrestling maneuvers that I have ever seen.

The Big, Big Book of Wrestling Moves

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/part1.htm

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/part2.htm

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/part3.htm

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/glossary.htm

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/bbbdt.htm

I'd still like to know some of the stuff for the unpublished WWF Advanced book.

The Basic book mentioned Lex luger's steel plate in the arm as an Advanced advantage.

At any rate, back when Wrestling was at its peak:

Midget Champion

Featherweight Champion

Cruiserweight Champion

Heavyweight Champion

Intercontinental Champion

Tag Team Champions

Repeat for women, save for midget wrestling. So you have a total of 11 Championship belts roaming around.

The only thing I can think of for Hero to deal with the various weights is to use density and size powers(with the always on disadvantage) to handle the differing divisons. IIRC the Intercontiental could move up and down ranks. A Featherweight could hold it after a Heavyweight.

• 4 months later...

Came up with a few new ideas to counteract the fact that HERO is not conducive to the length of actual pro-wrestling matches.

I think that Damage Reduction and Vulnerability based off of status and weight class can help counterbalance this problem.

First, based off of card:

Low Card Wrestlers have the following disadvantages:

1.5x STUN vs. Mid-Card Wrestlers

2x STUN vs. High-Card Wrestlers

Mid Card Wrestlers have the following Powers and Disadvantages:

Physical Damage Reduction, 25%

1.5x STUN vs. High-Card Wrestlers

High Card Wrestlers have the following Power: Physical Damage Reduction, 50%

It'd be "Battles Royal."

Nazi>

Sorry. They'll take away my English degree if I don't do stuff like that from time to time. It's out of my hands.

Really? The name of the match is a "Battle Royal" so wouldn't a plural of it be Battle Royals? It's not like it is brothers-in-law.