Concept: The Clockwork Man

Blue

I've had the idea for building a character with Steampunk era cybernetics. While I can simply take any power and give it an apporpriate SFX, I'm trying to visualize what such cybernetics might look like.

In other words I have only a vague idea with no hard ideas yet. Any suggestions?

I figure the powers themselves will probably be on an END battery that is replenished with Water refills, or similar mechanic. It's mostly what powers I should go with that are in keeping with steampunk logic. No need to build the power itself, just give me some suggestions that fit the theme.

Don't worry too much about the old cybernetic conundrum of implants being stronger than the flesh and therefore breaking off. It's comic book science, of course.

Re: Concept: The Clockwork Man

I feel compelled to point out that there is a difference between clockwork and steamwork. And END Reserve that recovers when wound up would be pretty cool.

I like the visual of turning gears a lot. The assassin from the Hellboy movie had some nice visuals in this manner. I see big clunky lenses on the head, metallic cables running along the outside of the joints, obvious boltheads.

But it's close enough for comic-work. Probably a point my players won't care about. (Now if I made Commander Data a Robot, not an Androide, they'd have problems. But this? Not so much :)).

I do think gears are important to the look. I'm thinking that with cybernetics there's typically at least one limb replacement. I'm thinking one of his arms may be some squeaky clockwork monstrosity with at least some visible gears.

I'm trying to stay away from the Tin-man style pointy hat or any kind of steam release coming out of his head. But I'm thinking a lense for one eye would work, especially if he could reach up, turn a knob at his temple, and flip the lense for some other effect (Microscoping, Telescopic, or other vision).

Most cyborgs are built with physical enhancements with EB as a weapon of some sort. Limbs with metal cables inside might match up with the Machine Man style stretching. Steam is going to need built in boilers. Those could be vulnerable to attacks. Hit one and it shuts something down.

CES

Blue, if you haven't yet picked up The Fires Of War (sequel to The Algernon Files), there's a villain in there whose illustration would probably work well as inspiration at the very least: The Iron Skull. Heavy armor plates over his torso and limbs, very angular, with bolt and screw heads plainly visible; what look like pistons sticking up from his back; face partly metal plated, with a slotted grill over his mouth; cables and/or tubes running from one part of his body to the other.

Although designed for a Golden Age setting, the Skull's look would also be very appropriate to steampunk IMHO.

I'll have to check it out. I have 2.0, but not FoW.

I like the mechanical stretching idea, but since there's a character in the game with two robots with stretching, I'm a bit gunshy on that one.

Gave this just a tiny bit more thought. I'm thinking his body temp would be excessive as a side effect of the mechanical parts. Maybe steam would escape through his mouth when he talked.

Gave this just a tiny bit more thought. I'm thinking his body temp would be excessive as a side effect of the mechanical parts. Maybe steam would escape through his mouth when he talked.

Locomotive Breath :D

Mr. Hero, the Newmatic Man, had exhaust pipes coming out of his back that added a nice touch.