Martinez scale?

Patriot

Re: Martinez scale?

Originally posted by Patriot

What is it, and is there a chart available to help figure it out

And who is Martinez?

1)It appears to be a power scale for measuring effectiveness of Super-powers

2)Dunno

3) Major Juan(?) Martinez. Titular head of U.N.T.I.L. who (I believe) made his first appearance in HERO's first published module The Island of Doctor Destroyer... he's Old school.

It's a scale UNTIL uses to rate the power of superpowers. It's named after Juan Martinez, once the head of UNTIL but now retired. Typically a power's Martinez Scale rating is calculated by its Active Points divided by 10, but the ratings given in the USPD (the only place the Scale's ever been used) aren't always accurate. Sometimes they're based on incorrect information, sometimes the readings taken on powers aren't accurate, sometimes a clerk mis-types a number, sometimes an agent's estimate is off, blah blah blah.

Keep in mind it's an in-game thing; the agents who rate the powers don't know how many APs a power is. Also, reading some of the blurbs in the sidebars (I love the commentary on Howler!) some of these agents have very limited exposure to supers, and yet attempt to rate their abilities. In all, very much like what would happen in the Real World, IMNSHO.

Actualy I think you are refering to the threat ratings in CKC, something quite different from power...

Think of it this way, Batman would rate quite low on the maartinez, as he has no powers (we can debate this later) but his threat rating would be quite high (as he can take out anyone given time)

I just viewed it as something which people would probably use if super powers really existed. For example, the subject has flame bolts. How powerful are they? You'd use a scale. This allows people to roughly gauge the threat, eg is the pyrokinetic Rusty Collins or Firewing?

It has little game significance (although the Martinez scale is calculated from Active Points), and is indeed, flavour as Agent X suggested.

I think the comments under Howler's picture were great. A reference to her costume (which I like) and also to previous estimates of her power being wrong. I think this is because Howler has always been a "starting level PC" villain and she got an upgrade in CKC to being more powerful than a 350 point hero. Or it might just be the fact that she's a survivor from the early days of Champions and has grown in power since then. Nice touch either way.

Although...now that I think about it, a clever GM (or a very foolish one), could provide the PCs with an idea of how powerful the villain is. Of course, the Martinez rating could be way off. ;)

JmOz's point that Martinez ratings can be misleading, even if accurate, is another one to keep in mind, if you want the scale used in your games.