Splatproofing megascale flight

Barbara vdB

My character has megascale flight.

Megascale sight allows you to see way ahead but not up close. What arc of perc does it give you?

So what happens if something else fast comes at after you have looked past the point where it is going to be? Planes, missiles, other flyers.

So how do I splat proof the character against inadvertant move throughs/bys?

PD is out, no way can I afford 250PD to cover 1" =1km. Let alone the 1"=100km that I have.

I thought to ripoff... sorry, paraphrase one of the speedster abilities in the random character generator.

Desolidification - only to avoid collisions in flight( possibly falling as well, our party seems to fall a lot)

______

Having read the post preview, I can safely say that, that is as coherant as mine normally are.

Re: Splatproofing megascale flight

Megascale sight doesn't work quite like Clairsentience (which is setting a point). The arc of perception is the same as normal sight (or whichever sense you bought megascale for). I reckon it's a GM rule thing that if you bother to buy megascale sight linked to your megascale movement power then it means you don't hit things.

Besides your GM could always rule that when you are moving megascale that anyone wanting to hit you would have to hit your Velocity based DCV, and that the hex you are in would have the same DCV. And that any object you attempt to hit has the same DCV - even hexes. And that with your 0 OCV vs something ridiculous DCV you effectively will never hit each other. Unless you are actually trying. And then you need a 3 (if you play that a 3 is an autohit). After all - the sky is a big place.

So think not of you trying to move through that Jumbo Jet, think of that Jumbo Jet trying to move through you.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that this type of stuff is covered in the Ultimate Speedster. I could be wrong though.

Think of driving. You're going through an intersection (green light) and someone travelling perpendicular to you decides to enter that same intersection, but is already past your peripheral vision. You don't see a thing... WHAM!... you're hit and you never had a chance to avoid it.

That's why we have pretty strict air traffic control. We want to make sure that things (mainly those things carrying people) moving through air don't hit each other. Without some link to that system, it's certainly possible to have something fly into you from outside your peripheral vision.

On the bright side, your character is compartively tiny and moving REALLY fast, so you'll be pretty much impossible to hit.

If you're really paranoid, then you could go with Desolidification, but it's a weak build. If you're a little less paranoid, consider buying a couple dice in Luck (use restricted to flying-based accidents).

Megascale movement of any kind is really just a plot device power. It allows a character or vehicle to cross continents instead of just states.

Megascale senses are clunky to use in conjunction with Megascale movement like Flight and Running. Due to the exponential range modifiers used in HERO just a few levels with Telescopic senses can negate minimum Megascale speed penalties.

Assuming a character with a 6 SPD and Megascale 1"= 1KM you get:

MegaScale Minimum Velocity = 500" (~1125 mph, VF=16) Velocity Factor is also = Velocity Based DCV.

512" is -14 Range Modifier

This can be overcome in a number of ways:

7 Mega Range Sight: +14 versus Range Modifier for Normal Sight - END=0

6 Megasale Sight: Naked Modifier: MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) for up to 25 Active Points (6 Active Points) - END=1

Note that by using "Naked Modifier" to add Megascale to normal sight (25 active points) it becomes an instant power that costs END by default. It will cost quite a bit more to make it Continuous and 0 END. Increasing the Telescopic sense is competitively costed.

Another option is to use Danger Sense* in combination with Rapid Sense as a form of "Safe Blind Movement" modifier to Mega-Movement similar to the way the Safe Blind Teleport Advantage is used. This makes more sense for a character like FLASH who doesn't necessarily see as FAR but rather as FAST as he can run.

*This is the approach I use with my namesake character HERE.

I don't really care for megascale sight as a companion to megascale movement

• (a) it forces every megascale speedster to buy a form of limited telescopic vision, which isn't in genre in a Comic Book setting.

(B) It suggests that speedsters are in constant danger of going splat, which isn't in genre in most settings where they exist at all.

© Considering the Turn Mode rules, even if you do see something in your way, at megascale speeds you probably can't turn in time to do anything about it anyway.

If your GM does require more than megascale sight to explain not crashing, buy Desolid only to avoid crashing, with the SFX that you're getting out of the way of things. If he won't allow that, buy your flight with +1 in variable advantages, then use +1/4 to turn it into teleportation, +1/4 for Safe Blind Teleport, and +1/4 or 1/2 for Megascale. You'll end up off by a few hexes when you arrive, but normal flight can take things from there.

Before any of the above, ask your GM what he thinks it takes for Megascale movement to be permitted in his setting. Maybe he just doesn't like the idea at all.

I've just checked, and it's all in the 5ER (p264). The short of it is this:

1) Buy your megascale movement.

2) Buy megascale at the same level with a targetting sense (normally sight, but you never know) as a naked advantage, and apply a -1/2 (Only with Megascale movement).

3) The rules clearly state that a perception roll, with any GM determined modifiers, must be made every phase that you are in megascale movement.

4) To avoid obstacles, you simply need to succeed with this perception roll.

5) If you fail this perception roll, you get a second chance to avoid the obstacle by making a DEX roll at the same penalty as the initial perception roll.

So to splat-proof? By perception levels with the appropriate sense and extra levels with DEX rolls only to avoid obstacles at megascale speeds (a -2 limitation if ever I saw one), and link both to megascale movement. Buy it to a relatively high level, say at least so each roll is 17-. Simple.

Note: It's not 100% foolproof, because you could always roll two 18s in a row. But then you probably deserve to splat.

Another option is to use Danger Sense* in combination with Rapid Sense as a form of "Safe Blind Movement" modifier to Mega-Movement similar to the way the Safe Blind Teleport Advantage is used. This makes more sense for a character like FLASH who doesn't necessarily see as FAR but rather as FAST as he can run.

Also note that in the Ultimate Speedster, high levels of Rapid applied to Normal Sight are also suggested as a substitute for Megascale sight.

For not too crazy megascale (1 m = 1 LightYear) I prefer a Rapid Telescopic Sight that matches your movement speed (and limited to NCM).

All of the rest are real good suggestions and work well, this is just the method I prefer. It's a lot easier than having your players always concerned about how much Normal Sight costs. A number of my players (new and old) also don't have HD so the calculations can be tricky on Naked Modifiers.

However, if someone came to me with MegaScale, Rapid Normal Sight I would be fine with that too.

Considering that Megascale movement is, inherently, a non-combat thing that pretty much exists as a flavour thing for those handful of characters who can criss-cross the planet in minutes or seconds, I find that a good way to handle perception at Megascale speeds is with a GM-handwave.

And in my group, I'm the guy who GMs the characters at that level, so I'm the one who waives the overly officious game mechanics.

Considering that Megascale movement is, inherently, a non-combat thing that pretty much exists as a flavour thing for those handful of characters who can criss-cross the planet in minutes or seconds, I find that a good way to handle perception at Megascale speeds is with a GM-handwave.

And in my group, I'm the guy who GMs the characters at that level, so I'm the one who waives the overly officious game mechanics.

I can buy that, but when your throw a -1 Only for NCM on any of those (and it's worth at LEAST a -1) it comes out to like 4 points (1 for Rapid and 3 for either MegaScale or +14 or thereabouts Telescopic).

If it came out to 10 or 20 points, I would agree with you and just wave it. It's a plot device and not worth many points...4 points is not unreasonable.

Seriously, if your character can zoom fast and see & avoid, that's either mega-senses or lightning reflexes (up to SPD 12). If you have mega-senses while flying, shouldn't you have them on the ground too? I.e. don't Link the sense with the movement?

If you can't see far but fly fast, then you need to be able to dodge really well. How about Flight, No-Turn Mode? +10 to Dodge and Danger Sense?

Just having fun, no need to pay attention.

Considering that Megascale movement is' date=' inherently, a non-combat thing that pretty much exists as a flavour thing for those handful of characters who can criss-cross the planet in minutes or seconds, I find that a good way to handle perception at Megascale speeds is with a GM-handwave.[/quote']

Thats my solution, as well. Is the GM also going to require Speedsters to buy LS: High Speed Breathing? Because over about 120 MPH its hard to get air.

Some minor "secondary powers" can be assumed as part of the SPFX of the ones we pay for. Being able to use Megascale movement without suffocating is one of them. Being able to use it to cover great distances without having to roll to see if you KILL YOURSELF should be another.

Thats my solution, as well. Is the GM also going to require Speedsters to buy LS: High Speed Breathing? Because over about 120 MPH its hard to get air.

Some minor "secondary powers" can be assumed as part of the SPFX of the ones we pay for. Being able to use Megascale movement without suffocating is one of them. Being able to use it to cover great distances without having to roll to see if you KILL YOURSELF should be another.

Yup. What's next, all energy projectors have to pay for Safe in _______ to prevent making themselves ill with their powers, and maybe something to keep from exploding their eyes or burning off their fingers? Maybe regenerators should buy LS immune to cancer, and be required to pay points to justify not having gigantism, obesity and a body covered in skin tags.

Realism is rarely a reason to do something with a power, unless it makes for a better story.

In answer to various responses.

Got luck dice already.

Got No Turn mode on flights (slow/fast)

Got armour. (Probably not enough.After all, 1km is 500 in move speed, that's 500d6 splat)

Thanks for description of movement based DCV's.

Will just get Megascale sight.

--

Other 'Reality' problems. Windburn. Cold. Dry eyeballs. Whiplash from 180 turns(and your brain goin g from one side of your skull to another.)

And the one I thought up last week.

If you are flying and carrying a person under you ,by their belt. With No Turn Mode ,you do a 90 turn around a corner in the corridor. Momentum says that they continue in the same direction as before. If your strength isn't up to it, you then follow them into the wall.

Other 'Reality' problems. Windburn. Cold. Dry eyeballs. Whiplash from 180 turns(and your brain goin g from one side of your skull to another.)

And the one I thought up last week.

If you are flying and carrying a person under you ,by their belt. With No Turn Mode ,you do a 90 turn around a corner in the corridor. Momentum says that they continue in the same direction as before. If your strength isn't up to it, you then follow them into the wall.

Windburn.

A small amount rPD and rED should take care of that.

Cold.

LS: Cold (and heat if you plan on going REALLY fast)

Dry eyeballs.

5pts Sight Flash?

Whiplash from 180 turns(and your brain goin g from one side of your skull to another.)

I'd say this and the momentum problem are probably covered by the No Turn Mode advantage. If that doesn't satisfy your need for realism, then you could make the flight Usable By Others at the same time to give them the 'immunity'.

You could also argue that 'realistically' you shouldn't be able to fly :D

But who cares about being 'realistic'? ;)

Yup. What's next' date=' all energy projectors have to pay for Safe in _______ to prevent making themselves ill with their powers, [/quote']

Well personally I've never designed an energy projector who didn't have some kind of protection versus the energy they use...