Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

Thia Halmades

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

Oh, hey, I never did post my reply to you, HM. I did read through the thread in question.

Totally didn't understand it.

But I did read it!

Maybe this will help.

D&D has a LOT of spells that have 2 different sets of Limitations:

1. Those that effect the casting of the spell.

2. Those that effect the use of the ability by the target when it can be either the caster or an ally.

Take the following examples:

8 example 1 (The Gift of Gab: all together): Universal Translator 11-, Usable By Other (+1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (Mr. Microphone Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (Batteries Not Included; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

[Notes: Talents are 0 END by default] - END=0

7 example 2 (The Gift of Gab: all together): Universal Translator 11-, Usable By Other (+1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (Mr. Microphone Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (Batteries Not Included; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

[Notes: Costs END would only affect target of UBO if used.] - END=2

example 3 (A list with a total real cost = 5)

[Notes: Caster pays 2 END to create effect. Target (even if the caster) must pay 2 END per phase to maintain ability. ] - END=

13 1) Gift of Gab: Universal Translator 11- (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) - END=2

3 2) Giving the Gift of Gab part 1 (*Naked Modifier): Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 13 Active Points of Gift of Gab (3 Active Points) - END=1

-11 3) Giving the Gift of Gab part 2 (*NEW: Differing Modifier): (16 Active Points); OAF (Mr. Microphone Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (Batteries Not Included; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 16 Points of Gift of Gab + Giving the Gift of Gab part 1 - END=2

Example 2 would not cost the caster any END when targeting an ally. Example 3 costs END to cast (Differing Modifier) separately from the END cost of its use (Universal Translator with Costs End). This is why its total cost is only 5 instead of 7 or 8. *Note that the "Naked Modifier" and "Differing Modifier" descriptions show within HDv3 but not actually in the export output.

Inflict Light Wounds [Necromancy; Destruction Domain]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Heals Undead by One Half total Damage; +0), Lingering up to 1 Minute (Spell can be held until discharged; +3/4) (35 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Destruction Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

For fun, here's Inflict Light Wounds.

Wouldn't delayed effect (-1/4) be more apropriate? instead of lingering.

Lingering allows multiple uses,once each phase while it lingers, delayed effect lets you cast and use later one time.

Don't want to be the pointing finger guy, but just catching some stuff as I read through these. Isn't Aid already usable on others?

The other two parts need it though so they are fine.

John

And here's Aid, which turned out better than I expected.

Aid [Compulsion (Mind-Affecting)]: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Aid BODY 2d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (35 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 with HTH and Ranged Combat, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to add +2 OCV; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +5 PRE, Usable By Other (+1/4) (6 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

I'm also now taking votes for Sanctuary' date=' [/i']since I have no idea how to design that one myself. Is it a resistable Desolid? That's what instinct tells me, anyway. It's not a Force Field or anything like that (although you could model it that way, it isn't with the canon of the spell). If anyone has an idea beyond Desolid, I'm open to it.

Ok, my take ons actuary is that it is NOT a protection spell. It doesn't prevent damage and preventing targeting senses only makes it harder to be hit.

The whole Idea behind Sanctuary is that oponents refuse to attack the caster, (The will saving throw strengthens the fact that it is a mental effect).

I would use a large bonus to PRE only for "Do not atack me", Ego Vs Ego. Something like this:

Sanctuary: +20 PRE, May not attack directly The effect ends if caster takes any obvious aggressive action (+0) (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only to command "You shall not harm me" (-1 1/2), Requires An EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Faith vs. Ego contests; -1 1/4), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Or a Mind control AoE but it would need to be to costly and affect to many mind types, and be continuous and automatically end if caster attacks. But honestly I feel it is to clumsy.

Based on the spell description:

I would build it as follows:

Sanctuary, all slots 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4)

[Notes: Total Real Cost = 13 Points]

16 1) Part 1: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Radio, Touch and Mystic Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Prevent Character From Being Targeted By Attackers (Not vs. Targets with EGO + Mental Defense Greater than 35; -1), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) - END=0

2 2) Part 2: Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 16 Active Points of Part 1 (4 Active Points) [Notes: No Range by default.] - END=0

-5 3) Part 3: ; OAF (Holy Symbol; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 18 Active Points of Part 1 (-11 Active Points) - END=0

For more on this type of construct design which allows Self Only abilities to be granted to others instead see the following recent thread:

Re: Usable Simultaneously with Differing Modifiers

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57167

I got the idea from the Mental Invisibility I designed for this character:

I-Mind

Here is an update to this construction using the new Differing Modifier option recently added to HDv3 by Dan:

Sanctuary

[Notes: Total Real Cost 17 + 1 - 14 = 4 Points]

17 1) Part 1: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Mystic and Mental Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Prevent Character From Being Targeted By Attackers (Not vs. Targets with EGO + Mental Defense Greater than 35; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2)

[Notes: This describes the EFFECT on the target of the cast spell.] - END=[1 cc]

1 2) Part 2: Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 17 Active Points of Part 1 (4 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)

[Notes: UBO is No Range by default. This describes WHO can use the effect of the spell.] - END=[1]

-14 3) Part 3: (18 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (Holy Symbol; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 18 Points of Part 1 & Part 2

[Notes: This describes HOW the spell is cast.] - END=[1]

Ok, I did not understand that at all HM, I must have missed my PER roll as well as my Deduction roll.

Going by the description:

"Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will save. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack normally and is unaffected by that casting of the spell. If the save fails, the opponent can’t follow through with the attack, that part of its action is lost, and it can’t directly attack the warded creature for the duration of the spell. Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected. This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells. The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use non attack spells or otherwise act."

• Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will Save.
    • Mind Control or powerful Presence attack "don't attack me (unless I attack first)" triggered(auto immediate reset, only triggered once per creature) by and against anyone who tries to target the warded creature with an attack.
    • Since it hits and works as often as necessary for the duration of the spell - Lingering (what ever time you set)

[*]This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells.

• The trigger already covers this as it only affects those targeting the warded creature directly.

[*]and it can’t directly attack the warded creature for the duration of the spell.

• Continuous/Persistent (for the duration of the spell or until warded creature attacks)?

[*]Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected.

• This is why it should be triggered against those that actually attempt to attack.

[*]The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use non attack spells or otherwise act.

• Spell ends if creature attacks

[*]UBO - It is usable by one other.

High for a level 1 spell). It only affects one class of minds:

Total Cost: 30 Sanctuary: Mind Control 10d6 (Humanoids class of minds), Usable By Other (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Only once per target; +1/2), Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2) (112 Active Points WOAH level 1?); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Set Effect (Do not target until this spell ends; -1untilloes Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Power May only affect a given creature once per casting (-1/4), Limited Power Spell ends if warded creature attacks (-1/4)

More in line with a 1st level spell, simpler construct (Might be pushing it a little) also affects more opponents. The main disadvantage of this one is that it is very dependant on circumstances:

Total Cost:7 Sanctuary: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power It only affects a target once (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Set Effect Lets not attack each other for X time (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power Mental Defense Applies (-1/4)

Ok, I did not understand that at all HM, I must have missed my PER roll as well as my Deduction roll.

Going by the description:

"Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will save.

I am just modifying Invisibility via the Limitation:

Limited Power Only To Prevent Character From Being Targeted By Attackers (Not vs. Targets with EGO + Mental Defense Greater than 35; -1)

to replace the Limited Mind Control/Mental Illusion AOE mechanic. Your construction is mechanically correct but its active cost is a bit high for a level 1 spell. The Will Save in my method is just having a total EGO + Mental Defense > 35. If you want a 'critical success' possibility just reword to have target make an EGO roll by -X (35 was just a number I picked to represent what many higher level spells would provide in defense to such an ability).

I'm with Jaws. I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. I did take your idea wholesale and apply it, so I built Sanctuary as an invisibility to targeting, and that made sense.

Jaws: AID has UBO slapped on it because the spell is a compound power and I believe I have to include all advantages all the time; so AID oddly picks up UBO because my HTH bonuses require it. That's the thinking I used there, but I may be mistaken.

Wouldn't delayed effect (-1/4) be more apropriate? instead of lingering.

Lingering allows multiple uses,once each phase while it lingers, delayed effect lets you cast and use later one time.

You, sir, are a complete, utter, and unforgivable jack... of all trades. No, you're totally right, it never even occurred to me. I've fixed it prior to posting the final version.

And this one was giving me trouble; I believe it works as intended now. I'm sure with some effort I could still either increase the roll or the range.

Status [Divination]: Detect Status and Condition 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Telescopic: +15, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (38 Active Points); Caster Must Touch Targets Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Caster must touch the people he wishes to include in the spell (Maximum of 5); -1), OAF (Incense worth at least 25gp (consumed); A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 25gp value.; -1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), Spell (Cleric Universal Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Just for the taste of it.

Undetectable Alignment [Abjuration]: Invisibility to Mystic Group and Mind Scan , No Fringe, Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range (Close (10"); +1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only to Hide Alignment; -1 1/2), Spell (Bard, Cleric, Paladin; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

I'm with Jaws. I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. I did take your idea wholesale and apply it' date=' so I built [i']Sanctuary[/i] as an invisibility to targeting, and that made sense.

Jaws: AID has UBO slapped on it because the spell is a compound power and I believe I have to include all advantages all the time; so AID oddly picks up UBO because my HTH bonuses require it. That's the thinking I used there, but I may be mistaken.

The details of this are located in 5er pg 276.

'This does not include the Usable on Others advantage unless you want the character to grant the power to others.' Corrected & will be re-posted. The other two spell elements, however, retain UBO as they are 'self targeting' by nature.

Aid [Compulsion (Mind-Affecting)]: (Total: 43 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Aid BODY 2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +1 with HTH and Ranged Combat, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to add +2 OCV; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +5 PRE, Usable By Other (+1/4) (6 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

I've completely rewritten Augury. This is what I get for forgetting that the system has a 'Clairsentience' power. I double-checked and made this a Detect (Detect: Possible Outcomes). I suppose it's a simple matter of making the roll, although I've included an 'Activation Roll' along with it to represent the original flavor of the d20 model; so not only do you need to cast the spell, the spell then has to work as designed. Kind of a double-whammy, but it's a "correct" design mechanic. If I recall correctly, 14- is 75% or so, which is a '5th level caster.' In my designs I've always tried to properly balance the caster-level bonuses so that they come out roughly in the middle; the spell goes from 70-90% over the course of a caster's career. I suppose with GMO you could revise it an Activation Roll of 15- and then, if you're terribly generous, remove it altogether.

5 Augury [Divination]: Precognitive Clairsentience (Mystic Group And Detect), Discriminatory (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), OAF (A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 25gp value; -1), Precognition Only (Only to Perceive Possible Outcomes; -1), Spell (Cleric Universal; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (Only to determine Weal, Woe, Both or Neither; -1/2), Activation Roll 14- (Once Cast, the Caster Must Determine if the Spell Functions Correctly; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (To read the results of the bones, sticks, etc.; -1/4)

I'm never sure how I feel about these.

Glyph of Warding [Abjuation]: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Caster can determine Trigger Conditions at time of casting (see text); +1/4), Delayed Effect (Permanent until discharged; +1/4), Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Any Base Energy Type; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (67 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (10 Minutes, -2), OAF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; You trace the glyph with incense, which must first be sprinkled with powdered diamond worth at least 200 gp; -1 1/4), No Range (Object touched; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Cleric Universal; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Helping Hand: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Detect A single described subject, determined at time of casting 13- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Ranged (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (2,750"; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Linked (Guiding Hand [Evocation]; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-2 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Mobile (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (4,000"; Cannot Reach Further than Seeking Hand; +1/2) (40 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Set Effect (A Ghostly Image of a Hand; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9)

Prayer:

Skill Levels AoE/Usable by Others

plus

Negative Skill Levels AoE/Usable Against Others

(Skill Levels for OCV, DCV, DC, Characteristic Rolls)

or Change Environment

FWIW, I've rolled all the skill bonuses and penalties into one effect and applied an AoE-Selective with the positive going to allies and the negative going to enemies, YMMV. Prayer is pretty much the same as Bless/Blight/Bane, and Chant.

Prayer, Chant, and Bless could be build similar to:

Blessing Of The Battle God: +1 OCV in HTH Combat, Usable By Other (+¼) (6 Active Points); Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 4 points.

(Hero System Writers Guidelines p.??)

First Battle Blessing – Self:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 2 points.

Second Blessing – Another:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Base Points); Usable By Other (one other; +¼) (6 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 1.6 points.

Third Blessing – Self and Another:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Base Points); Usable By Other (one other, both can use; +½) (7.5 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 2 points.

Forth Blessing – Two Others:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Base Points); Usable By Other (two others; +½) (7.5 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 2 points.

Fifth Blessing – Self and Two Others:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Base Points); Usable By Other (two others, both caster and others can use; +¾) (8.75 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 2.3 points.

Sixth Blessing – Self and Four Others at Range:
+1 OCV in hth Combat (5 Base Points); Usable By Other (four others, both caster and others can use; +1), Ranged (+½) (12.5 Active Points); Charges (one charge, continues for 1 minute or 5 turns; -1), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Costs END (-½), Extra Time (full phase; -½), Gestures (laying on of hands; -¼), Incantations (prayer; -¼). Total cost: 3.33 points.

+1 OCV and +1 dc in hth Combat (10 Base Points):

+1 OCV, +1 DCV, and +1 dc in hth combat (15 Base Points):

2-point levels: single attack (god's weapon: e.g., battle axe)

3-point levels: tight group (gods weapons: e.g., axes)

5-point levels: either melee or ranged combat

8-point levels: all combat

+2 CSL = +1 BODY (but only to max of the dice)

vs +1 DC for 5 points.

Usable By Others Cost Multiplier:

• +¼ if character loses Power when it is being used by other;

• +½ if both can use Power at the same time.

• To use the Advantage at range is an additional +½ Advantage (otherwise touch must be maintained).

• Usable By Others can normally only be used by one other character at a time; this can be doubled for +¼ additional Advantage.

Area of Effect Skills are a bit different as is Change Environment, but there's always more than one way to do things in HERO.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone figure out why I'm unhappy with my version of this spell?

Control Water: Telekinesis (40 STR), Affects Porous (70 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Can only Raise or Lower the total height of the water; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Transmutation [Water]; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)