Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

Thia Halmades

Re: Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

An additional note while I'm thinking about it; so far I haven't included Only While Serving the God's Purposes -- and I'm thinking I may not for some spells. The concept in d20 that unless you've Fallen from Grace, you get your spells every morning. Everyone makes mistakes, people will be fallible, no one can be "perfect."

However, higher level magic (such as Miracle) will most assuredly gain that limitation; I'm open to votes on this. I don't see a need to include it "just to reduce the point value" since the God's can be finnicky; I'm open to opinions on this one.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bane [Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear' date= Mind-Affecting]]: Change Environment 4" radius, -1 OCV, -5 to PRE Rolls (Only to save vs. PRE Attacks), Multiple Combat Effects, Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Counters & Dispels Bless; +0) (37 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Cleric Universal; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Close Range (10"); -1/4)

Bless [Echantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]]: (Total: 31 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) +1 OCV with Melee & Ranged Combat, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/2) (14 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Cleric Spell; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus +5 PRE, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/2) (17 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Universal Cleric Spell; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Blessed Accuracy; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Bless Water [Transmutation (Good)]: Major Transform 2d6 (Water into Holy Water' date=' Usage/Curse Water) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; 5 pounds of powdered silver (worth 25gp); -1/2), All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (Touch; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; -1/2), Limited Target ([Limited']; One flask (roughly one pint) of water; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

All three look good to me. and if your aim is to emulate d20 as close as possible it feels right.

For domains (unless you want to be a stickler to d20) I would suggest allowing a multipower for a domain with the spells in it as the feel is that clerics should be expected to cast more frequently from their domain spells.

All three look good to me. and if your aim is to emulate d20 as close as possible it feels right.

For domains (unless you want to be a stickler to d20) I would suggest allowing a multipower for a domain with the spells in it as the feel is that clerics should be expected to cast more frequently from their domain spells.

Nah, the whole point of this entire project is to be a stickler for accuracy. In d20 terms, Clerics gain Domains "for free" as part of their package; converting that to HERO means that you need to make sure you've emulated the design properly. You could build a "class" that uses a multipower to emulate it, but for straight conversion purposes, I'm going to treat them as talents.

I originally considered going with a group of MPs, but the total utility of the structure doesn't work out that way, unfortunately.

Divine Favor [Evocation]: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) +2 with HTH and Ranged Combat (12 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to add +2 OCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus+4 with HTH and Ranged Combat (24 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to Add +2 DCs ; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

And this is the current version of Divine Favor; it's the first spell I put "OWSGP (-1/2)" on, largely because of the special effect. It's a direct imploration of the Divine/Personal Faith to grant you that 'extra strength' to get through a tough situation. The +2/+2 is my usual middle-of-the-road simulation of the d20 model; it meant using a compound power (officially) and having 2 CSLs to +2 OCV, and 4 CSLs to +2 DCs. It's a potent 1st level spell, in HERO terms, but it isn't too shabby in d20 either, to be fair.

SOD IT. Does anyone remember how on earth to set Change Environment's normal AOE to One Hex Accurate?

Anyway, it looks like this:

Doom: Change Environment 1" radius, -2 DEX and all Skill Rolls based on DEX, -2 OCV, -2 STR and all Skill Rolls based onSTR, Multiple Combat Effects (32 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-3/4), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Medium (25"); -1/4)

This one didn't survive translation well; according to the text, Hide from Undead makes you nigh undetectable by them (which would also include, to me, No Fringe). So the version I drafted clocks in at a nasty 100 AP. Have some.

Hide from Undead [Abjuration]: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Mental Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (100 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Inflict Light Wounds [Necromancy; Destruction Domain]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Heals Undead by One Half total Damage; +0), Lingering up to 1 Minute (Spell can be held until discharged; +3/4) (35 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Destruction Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

For fun, here's Inflict Light Wounds.

I'm also now taking votes for Sanctuary, since I have no idea how to design that one myself. Is it a resistable Desolid? That's what instinct tells me, anyway. It's not a Force Field or anything like that (although you could model it that way, it isn't with the canon of the spell). If anyone has an idea beyond Desolid, I'm open to it.

And here's Aid, which turned out better than I expected.

Aid [Compulsion (Mind-Affecting)]: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Aid BODY 2d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (35 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 with HTH and Ranged Combat, Usable By Other (+1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to add +2 OCV; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +5 PRE, Usable By Other (+1/4) (6 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; Luck Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

Okay, okay. I totally cheated. Normally when I go to write a spell I'm going as close to canon as possible; for this one, Reverse Paralysis, I just went ahead and... well, rewrote the whole thing.

In order to preserve the actual utility I made it a 1d6 Continuous Transform; Paralyzed Target to Un-Paralyzed target. This model isn't as 'lightning efficient' as the handwavium of d20 simply allows the spell to work as written, but the effect is utterly lost; it's expensive as all get out, and it didn't seem to me, for the utility of the spell, to make the sacrifice. So now it looks like this; I'm taking opinions.

Remove Paralysis: Major Transform 1d6 (Reverses Magical Paralysis & Related Magics, Paralyzing Target), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Did you know that you can't knock down someone's Damage Classes in a Change Environment? I'm finding this utterly frustrating at the moment. If someone else would like to take a crack at this spell I would very grateful.

I wonder if Penalty Skill Levels could be used? The rules allow 2 CSL's to increase damage. Why not use the reverse in this case?

Okay' date=' okay. I totally cheated. Normally when I go to write a spell I'm going as close to canon as possible; for this one, [i']Reverse Paralysis[/i], I just went ahead and... well, rewrote the whole thing.

In order to preserve the actual utility I made it a 1d6 Continuous Transform; Paralyzed Target to Un-Paralyzed target. This model isn't as 'lightning efficient' as the handwavium of d20 simply allows the spell to work as written, but the effect is utterly lost; it's expensive as all get out, and it didn't seem to me, for the utility of the spell, to make the sacrifice. So now it looks like this; I'm taking opinions.

Remove Paralysis: Major Transform 1d6 (Reverses Magical Paralysis & Related Magics, Paralyzing Target), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

5er pg 150 suggests that it might be appropriate to allow Dispel to work vs. this type of Transform attack. You could call it a house rule of the way magic works in your conversion.

I'm also now taking votes for Sanctuary' date=' [/i']since I have no idea how to design that one myself. Is it a resistable Desolid? That's what instinct tells me, anyway. It's not a Force Field or anything like that (although you could model it that way, it isn't with the canon of the spell). If anyone has an idea beyond Desolid, I'm open to it.

Extra Dimensional Movement? :D

I'm also now taking votes for Sanctuary' date=' [/i']since I have no idea how to design that one myself. Is it a resistable Desolid? That's what instinct tells me, anyway. It's not a Force Field or anything like that (although you could model it that way, it isn't with the canon of the spell). If anyone has an idea beyond Desolid, I'm open to it.

Based on the spell description:

Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will save. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack normally and is unaffected by that casting of the spell. If the save fails, the opponent can’t follow through with the attack, that part of its action is lost, and it can’t directly attack the warded creature for the duration of the spell. Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected. This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells. The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use nonattack spells or otherwise act.

I would build it as follows:

Sanctuary, all slots 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4)

[Notes: Total Real Cost = 13 Points]

16 1) Part 1: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Radio, Touch and Mystic Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe (60 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Prevent Character From Being Targeted By Attackers (Not vs. Targets with EGO + Mental Defense Greater than 35; -1), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) - END=0

2 2) Part 2: Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 16 Active Points of Part 1 (4 Active Points) [Notes: No Range by default.] - END=0

-5 3) Part 3: ; OAF (Holy Symbol; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 18 Active Points of Part 1 (-11 Active Points) - END=0

For more on this type of construct design which allows Self Only abilities to be granted to others instead see the following recent thread:

Re: Usable Simultaneously with Differing Modifiers

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57167

I got the idea from the Mental Invisibility I designed for this character:

I-Mind

This one didn't survive translation well; according to the text' date=' Hide from Undead makes you nigh undetectable by them (which would also include, to me, [i']No Fringe[/i]). So the version I drafted clocks in at a nasty 100 AP. Have some.

Hide from Undead [Abjuration]: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Mental Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (100 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

At its base level this is just a variation on Sanctuary. I would just build it in a similar fashion to how I did that construct.

You totally lost me on how you designed that, HM, which is tricky, considering that my HERO-Fu is strong. However, it looks like deeze:

Sanctuary [Abjuration]: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Mental and Mystic Groups , No Fringe, Usable By Other (+1/4) (69 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only Invisible to Direct Targeting; -1), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (User Cannot Directly Attack or Cause Harm; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Oh, and to put this spell up where it belongs:

The thing is that if you want your Damage Reduction Resistant, the price goes through the roof; additionally, HERO models damage VERY differently from d20, so 25% DR in HERO is comparatively equivalent in terms of STUN/BODY vs. Hit Points. The other option was to allow the user to choose (Physical or Energy) at the time of casting, or, make the DR non-resistant, in which case it'd only protect against Normal Damage, which is... worthless in a campaign setting where everything is a KA of one flavor or another.

So there's that.

Shield Other: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +1 with DCV, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range (Close (10"); +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (10 Active Points); OIF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature; -1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature.; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Caster takes an amount of damage equal to the Shielded Target; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Usable By Other (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (A pair of platinum rings (worth at least 50 gp each) worn by both you and the warded creature.; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Caster takes an amount of damage equal to the Shielded Target; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

You totally lost me on how you designed that, HM, which is tricky, considering that my HERO-Fu is strong. However, it looks like deeze:

Sanctuary [Abjuration]: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Mental and Mystic Groups , No Fringe, Usable By Other (+1/4) (69 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only Invisible to Direct Targeting; -1), Spell (Protection Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (User Cannot Directly Attack or Cause Harm; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

You should follow the HeroDesigner thread link I posted which has 5er page references and examples.

Also, the original spell descriptions states that anyone who makes a 'Will Save' is unaffected by the spell's effect. This sounds a lot like a job for Mind Control or Mental Illusions but those mechanics are too cumbersome which is why I used a custom 'Ego + Mental Defense' Limitation instead.

Tie this one on;

Consecrate [Evocation (Good)]: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +10 PRE, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0), Limited Range (Close (10"); +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/4) (30 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; A vial of holy water and 25 gp worth (5 pounds) of silver dust, all of which must be sprinkled around the area. ; -1), Focus OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Cleric (Universal); -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only for Turning Undead; -1/2), Linked (Consecrate Land; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Change Environment 4" radius, -1 OCV, -2 DC, Long-Lasting 6 Hours, Multiple Combat Effects (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only versus Undead; -1), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; A vial of holy water and 25 gp worth (5 pounds) of silver dust, all of which must be sprinkled around the area. ; -1), Focus OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Cleric; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Close (10"); -1/4) (Real Cost: 6)

And for my next trick:

Spiritual Weapon: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2) (50 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Cleric (War Domain); -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Medium (25"); -1/4)

Basically I used a model similar to the one I employed (and was suggested to me by HM & a few other board lords) i.e., Indirect. Evidently things like Spiritual Weapon are perfect examples of this sort of thing.

And this one is on the list of "things Thia thinks he built right."

Status [Divination]: Detect Status and Condition 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Telescopic: +15, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (38 Active Points); Caster Must Touch Targets Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Caster must touch the people he wishes to include in the spell (Maximum of 5); -1), OAF (Incense worth at least 25gp (consumed); A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 25gp value.; -1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), Spell (Cleric Universal Domain; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)