Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

Thia Halmades

New thread! I'll be starting this project shortly (probably this weekend). Starting at level one.

Wow, I lied. But true to my most recent post, here's Cleric Magic Level 1. Enjoy. Don't eat too much at once, though.

I've now added Cleric Two. Bon apettit.

Cleric Three is up. :D Only a month later than I expected, sorry about that. I've been 10 spells away for ages. They're done now.

And Cleric Four is now up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cleric 3.5 Spell Conversion

Dear mister Killer Shrike,

It has come to my attention that you totally kick ass.

My most sincere thanks for doing all the hard work so we, the lazy pathetic unwashed masses don't have to.

In closing, (grovel, grovel, bootlick, genuflect, "We're not worthy")

:)

Heh. So yeah, got a new job, hence, no free time to sit around and flip through spells and rewriting them. My time table has been fundamentally altered by this cataclysmic event. Updates as events warrant, but I hope to get something done this weekend, or, I may still be in the office. Unknown as of yet. :D

• 1 month later...

Here's one that I had to figure out, admittedly I wanted Speak with Dead to be somewhat cheap. Note there are two versions, one summons the spirit in a neutral manner, the other requires the spirit to slavishly answer questions as truthfully as possible for the spirit. Note that the spirit's "body" is bound to the corpse and cannot move, just answer questions. Each question is considered a task.

Speak with Dead

Summon 50 point dead spirit, Specific Being (The spirit of the corpse that I'm touching, +1), (20 Active Points), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), OIF (Holy Symbol, -1/2), Lim: Only to speak with the recently dead, must have corpse (-1), 7 Real Points

Improved Speak with Dead

Same as above but with Slavishly Loyal (+1), (40 Active Points, 14 Real Points)

• 2 weeks later...

Speak with Dead - Detect Answer To Question (10 Active Points)' date=' Incantations (-¼), Gestures (-¼), Multiple Obvious Accessible Foci (Holy Symbol & Corpse, -1¼), Only Answers Dead Person Would Know (-0) (4 Real Points)[/quote']

seems I failed my PER roll....:straight:

A secretary WOULD be damn handy, let me tell you what. Problem is, they'd be taking notes on spells that I'm designing while I'm QCing mortgage files. Woo!

Where's my hat? Oh yes.

SO YEAH, hi. I'm finally in between burn-out and exhaustion and haven't fallen entirely towards either yet. I'm not really in a video game mood today so I figure, WTF? Why not get back on the horse. I've made some updates to HERO: Combat Evolved (there are now two suits of armor up; the standard UNSC SIBA & the ODST Body Suit). I'm going to make some coffee and then muddle my way through Cleric 1. Behold, for posts are coming soon.

Seriously. I never say this stuff if I don't think I can squeeze it out; then I say things like "I think" and "I hope." But I have a whole afternoon to waste! I already cleaned half the house. ;)

I remember why I got stuck now. RSR. For wizards it was really easy; I set up 8 schools of magic, and said "There, that was simple!" For Clerics, however, they don't have the same restriction, as any Cleric can cast any spell from the Cleric Spell list, however, they'll be more effective at casting from their own Domains. So I'm thinking (finally, I have a solution I don't hate) that I'm going to sort of reverse engineer it.

You, playing a Cleric, must purchase the Cleric Power Skill, "Faith." That part is fairly simple. Now, as you refine your class design, you'll want to purchase Domains, specific to your deity or your world view (for those like me who got a hair across their nose one day and said "You know what? I have Faith. I don't need a Deity for this character! -- the current d20 rules support this). So you can purchase X number of Domains, within the campaigns limits. Most GMs will limit you to two at char-gen and then let you purchase the rest as adventures & xp allow.

My 'vision' for said Domains is that they add back to the rolls used for Faith; so if you normally have a 22- Faith Skill, but are casting from the Plant Domain, the Plant Domain gives you a +2 to your roll, "Only for Plant Domain Spells & Effects." Voila.

Additionally, I need to figure out how to model "bonus spells," which is still eluding me. I have the first half down, how to write the spell mechanics, that's sorted, thank Heavens. The second half I need help with. Working on Bane now (hey, I just got started).

Let Mortal Kombat begin.

Bane [Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]]: Change Environment 4" radius, -1 OCV, -1 to PRE Rolls (Only to save vs. PRE Attacks), Multiple Combat Effects, Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Counters & Dispels Bless; +0), Selective Target (The Cleric can choose to only target their enemies; +1/2) (37 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Cleric Universal; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Close Range (10"); -1/4)

Note how the "Spell" limitation is still on it, but it now specifies what, if any, Domain the spell belongs too; it seems to be clearly marked on the d20 Hypertext, so I'm going with that. If anyone catches a spell that belongs in a Domain that I didn't include in its description, please, for the love of the Almighty, tell me now so I'm not doing three hours of QC on my own spell list. :P

Also, I'm going with the "OAF Divine Focus" for all spells, because by my understanding of the rules, the Focus has to be obviously brandished in order for the effect to work; that means it's out and being displayed for the world to see, and is thus vulnerable to well timed disarms, blasts, destruction, etc. etc.

If you're smart you'll carry a spare. Or get one made out of Adamantium.

I've already decided I needed to edit the original version; because of the way HERO works you need to add 5 points to PRE to get the result you're looking for (a change to the overall roll) so I've gone ahead and taken off Selective and put on -5 PRE to Bane, and also put +5 PRE on Bless, making them roughly the same. Although Bless is a Compound Power and Bane is just a Change Environment. Neark.

Bane [Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]]: Change Environment 4" radius, -1 OCV, -5 to PRE Rolls (Only to save vs. PRE Attacks), Multiple Combat Effects, Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Counters & Dispels Bless; +0) (37 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Cleric Universal; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Close Range (10"); -1/4)

Bless [Echantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]]: (Total: 31 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) +1 OCV with Melee & Ranged Combat, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/2) (14 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Universal Cleric Spell; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus +5 PRE, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1 1/2) (17 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Spell (Universal Cleric Spell; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Blessed Accuracy; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Bless Water [Transmutation (Good)]: Major Transform 2d6 (Water into Holy Water, Usage/Curse Water) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; 5 pounds of powdered silver (worth 25gp); -1/2), All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (Touch; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Good Domain; -1/2), Limited Target ([Limited]; One flask (roughly one pint) of water; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)