Venture Brothers Hero?

Susano

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Venture Brothers Hero?

I just saw the "Careers in Science" episode. It takes place on Gargantuan 1, Doctor Venture's dad's old space station. I think Brock needs several Safe Environments. He got shot out of a cargo hold, exposed to space and held onto a long cable. Once he got back to safty, he was blue and had large chunks ice on his torso and head. Just 10 minutes later he was up and ready for some nookie.

What a guy!

Grimble

I just saw the "Careers in Science" episode. It takes place on Gargantuan 1, Doctor Venture's dad's old space station. I think Brock needs several Safe Environments. He got shot out of a cargo hold, exposed to space and held onto a long cable. Once he got back to safty, he was blue and had large chunks ice on his torso and head. Just 10 minutes later he was up and ready for some nookie.

What a guy!

Grimble

I was wondering about that. He definitely has Rapid Healing, and he may have a higher level of Regen, maybe 1/10 minutes or so. Probably some Cinematic Invulnerability as well, DR that doesn't prevent penetration or stop bleeding but does cut the number of Body taken.

I've started on Season II and have gotten as far as... "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II." Dr. Orpheus has to have a VPP in order to do everything he is shown doing. He's also the most powerful of the heroes (aside from Brock), and strikes me as being far more competent than Dr. Venture.

I've started on Season II and have gotten as far as... "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II." Dr. Orpheus has to have a VPP in order to do everything he is shown doing. He's also the most powerful of the heroes (aside from Brock)' date=' and strikes me as being far more competent than Dr. Venture.[/quote']

Agreed. I'd build Orpheus and Brock on about the same number of points (though Brock is much more combat optimized), and Phantom Limb and David Bowie (this will make sense later) with similar combat utility but more points in vehicles, bases, minions, etc.

Rusty may be more expensive than he looks, depending on how much he gets charged for bases and vehicles and a pretty extensive skill set. He's worthless in a fight, but he isn't bad at mad science (even if he's mostly re-using his father's ideas), and he has at least enough Boy Adventurer skills left over to get him from the heart of a temple in Central America all the way back home safely, or to keep one step ahead of Brock most of the way around the world. He also has good medical skills and a surprisingly high pain threshold (look at all the horrible injuries he stays conscious through).

Agreed. I'd build Orpheus and Brock on about the same number of points (though Brock is much more combat optimized), and Phantom Limb and David Bowie (this will make sense later) with similar combat utility but more points in vehicles, bases, minions, etc.

Rusty may be more expensive than he looks, depending on how much he gets charged for bases and vehicles and a pretty extensive skill set. He's worthless in a fight, but he isn't bad at mad science (even if he's mostly re-using his father's ideas), and he has at least enough Boy Adventurer skills left over to get him from the heart of a temple in Central America all the way back home safely, or to keep one step ahead of Brock most of the way around the world. He also has good medical skills and a surprisingly high pain threshold (look at all the horrible injuries he stays conscious through).

Based on what I've seen so far, the following characters are all near the top end of the power/ability scale: Brock Sampson, Molotov C-tease (I have no idea how you spell that), Phantom Limb, Dr. Orpheus.

Monarch could be on this list of only he'd stop obsessing over Venture and shape up. As it is, he's no slouch in the brains or skills department, he's just... hmm... overly hung-up on Dr. Girlfriend and destroying Venture.

Dr. Venture has the skills, but doesn't have sufficient drive to get anywhere with them. Venture Jr., on the other hand....

Dr. Girlfriend is very competent, and makes a great second in command. She seems to have a good grasp of tactics, technical skills, and the like, but isn't a true "super scientist."

BTW -- I am amazed at the level of continuity in this show. Not with the little things (if X is busted in Episode 1 it's still busted in Episode 3), but with such elements as Monarch being in prison for several episodes, his henchmen vanishing, his base being blown up (and so on and so forth).

He's also the most powerful of the heroes (aside from Brock)' date=' and strikes me as being far more competent than Dr. Venture.[/quote']

There are dishrags more competent than Rusty Venture. ;)

I'd put Jonas Venture Jr. pretty high, too. Not as high as Brock, but at least up there with Dr. Girlfriend.

The Monarch's list of people qualified to be his peers: Flying Squid, Tigerific, Truckules, Lord Mostly Magic, King Fantastic Outfit, Fee Waybill of The Tubes, SuicideGirl: Tiegen, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Happy-go-Chucky, Swiss Mystery, Shaka Igloo, his 8th grade Earth Science teacher, Mr. Tringe, and Bizarro Oscar Wilde as an alternate

The Monarch's list of people qualified to be his peers: Flying Squid' date=' Tigerific, Truckules, Lord Mostly Magic, King Fantastic Outfit, Fee Waybill of The Tubes, SuicideGirl: Tiegen, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Happy-go-Chucky, Swiss Mystery, Shaka Igloo, his 8th grade Earth Science teacher, Mr. Tringe, and Bizarro Oscar Wilde as an alternate[/quote']

:)

I absolutely want to use Bizarro Oscar Wilde as a villain.

Bizarro Oscar Wilde would be a straight(though he and his long suffering wife only practice this so 3 times a year anniversary and birthdays,) financial documentation writer. he would have the uncanny ability to make even the most witty and urbane conversation dry up into either awkward silence or equity release tracking fund schemes.

My own humble designs for some of the characters follow:

Dr. Byron Orpheus

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

15 DEX 15

12 CON 4

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

4 PD 2

4 ED 2

3 SPD 5

4 REC 0

24 END 0

22 STUN 1

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 59

Cost Power

57 Necromantic Sorcery: Variable Power Pool, 45 base + 12 control cost, (67 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Powers Cost: 57

Cost Skill

6 Combat Sorcery: +2 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

3 High Society 13-

4 I only know that I know nothing: KS: Occult 13-

5 Oratory 14-

3 Persuasion 13-

15 I was granted my PhD by a higher power: Magic 18-

4 But I am, by trade, a Necromancer!: PS: Necromancer 13-

4 PS: Cook 13-

3 For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but YOUR VERY SOUL!: Sleight Of Hand 12-

3 Teamwork 12-

5 I'd Make A Wiz-bang Salesman: Trading 14-

Skills Cost: 55

Cost Perk

4 Jefferson Twilight, Blacula Hunter: Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

3 The Alchemist: Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

8 Sorcerous Master: Contact (Good relationship with Contact), Spirit Contact (x2) (8 Active Points) 12-

5 Torrid Zone Island: Base

Perks Cost: 20

Cost Talent

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

6 Magesight, +1 to PER Roll

Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 200

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Dependent NPC: Trianna 8- (Normal)

5 Distinctive Features: Theme Music and Overly-Dramatic Speech (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Torrid 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective Of His Daughter and the Venture Brothers (Common, Strong)

15 Oh, it must be dreamy to have a costumed nemesis. Chasing you... wringing his gloved hands in concern of your every move: Psychological Limitation: Wants To Be Taken Seriously As A Superhero (Common, Strong)

5 Rivalry: Professional, Dr. Venture, Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

5 Social Limitation: Always Speaks in Overly-Dramatic Tones (Occasionally, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 70

Background/History: Dr. Byron Orpheus became a single parent when his wife left him for a younger necromancer (although his Sorcerous Master claims it was because he did not stand up for himself). Few other details are known of his history before he came to live at the Venture Compound. Apparently he did some superhero-ing in his younger days as well, and formed a bond with fellow supernatural heroes Jefferson Twilight and The Alchemist. Eventually, he rented out part of the Venture Compound from Dr. Rusty Venture and lives there with his daughter, Trianna. From time to time he assists Dr. Venture and the Venture Brothers with various supernatural or supervillainous problems.

Personality/Motivation: Dr. Orpheus is quite possibly the most moral and "heroic" of all the characters in the Venture-verse. He feels a strong obligation to rescue the Venture Brothers from trouble and treats them with far more affection than their own father. He even encourages Dean in his pursuit of Trianna (using the resulting feelings of love or lust to help resolve more than one situation in the past). Orpheus also seeks to be heroic - he seems frustrated with his "humdrum" life and goes out of his way to find more exciting, romantic and superheroic events to find fulfillment. He gets along fairly well with Dr. Rusty Venture, although Rusty often seeks to sabotage or one-up Dr. Orpheus quite often. He's very protective of his daughter and tends to embarass her as all truly loving parents do. He's also quite proud of his ability to cook and provides meals for guests at the drop of a hat. His most defining characteristic, however, is his inability to speak in anything other than the most melodramatic and obscure dialect. He chooses obsolete words whenever possible and uses overly dramatic gestures of his hand or cloak to accompany the most mundane task. Spine-chilling string music seems to accompany him whenever he enters or exits a scene (although that may be the result of a spell to make him seem that much more superheroic).

Quote: “For a mere whisper from my lips can open your mind to a world of Arcane Tortures!”

Powers/Tactics: Dr. Orpheus has a wide variety of spells at his command. Typically, he sets his Variable Limitation to Requires a Skill Roll (Magic), but has been known to substitute Increased END Cost or Incantations Throughout instead. He's also a bit of an expert on occult and supernatural phenomena, and serves as the Venture Brother's resident master of necromantic lore. He owns an unnamed island in the Torrid Zone and has an impressive library in the Venture Compound. Together with Jefferson Twilight and The Alchemist, he forms part of the Order of the Triad, a superheroic team of supernatural do-gooders. He's also a decent cook.

Campaign Use: DNPC, Contact, or PC in a Venture game.

Appearance: Salt and pepper hair, green eyes, attractive in a distinguished-older-man way, looks a lot like Vincent Price, dresses in Victorian-era clothing with lots of jewelry and a large black cloak.

Character by Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, Character Sheet by Ross Watson, 2007.

[/Quote]

And another:

Dr. Girlfriend

AKA Lady Au Pair, Queen Etheria, Dr. Fiancee, Dr. Ex-Girlfriend

Val Char Cost

8 STR -2

15 DEX 15

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

18 INT 8

15 EGO 10

20 PRE 10

24 COM 7

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

3 SPD 5

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 1

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

1 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 54

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Supervillain Martial Arts

3 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 4 1/2d6 Strike

3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2 1/2d6 Strike; Target Falls

4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 28 STR vs. Grabs

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)

Martial Arts Cost: 18

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Acting 13-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Climbing 12-

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

10 +2 with DCV

5 Concealment 14-

3 Contortionist 12-

3 Killing YOUR archenemy on christmas eve. This is a gift for me?: Conversation 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 KS: Supervillainy 13-

2 KS: Mad Science 11-

3 Isn't that the guy from Depeche Mode?: KS: The Superhuman World 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Let's not fight in front of the henchmen: Persuasion 13-

2 PS: "Number Two" 11-

5 PS: Supervillain 15-

3 I know, I installed them: Security Systems 13-

3 She Is Heat Incarnate: Seduction 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

3 Tactics 13-

1 WF: Handguns

2 WF: Common Melee Weapons

Skills Cost: 90

Cost Perk

7 Murderous Moppets: Followers (x2)

3 Member in Good Standing with the Guild of Calamitous Intent: Fringe Benefit: Membership

8 Bride of The Monarch: Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact is slavishly loyal to character) 13-

5 Ex of Phantom Limb: Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 12-

2 I Was Feared And Respected: Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 25

Total Character Cost: 187

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Incredibly Masculine Voice (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Phantom Limb 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

5 Physical Limitation: Incredibly Masculine Voice (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: In Love With The Monarch (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: High Standards of Villainy (Common, Strong)

5 Social Limitation: Incredibly Masculine Voice (Occasionally, Minor)

10 Reputation: I Heard She's Kinda Manly, 11-

Disadvantage Points: 80

Background/History: Little is known about Dr. Girlfriend's past. She apparently mentored with another villain (Trucules) and struck out on her own at some point under the moniker "Lady Au Pair." She was quite successful as a supervillain, yet ended up somehow working for Phantom Limb as "Queen Etheria" under unknown circumstances. Her real name begins with "Sheila." Eventually, The Monarch seduced her away from Phantom Limb and she became his "number two" in the guise of Dr. Girlfriend. There, she was so effective at organizing his base, henchmen, and operations that The Monarch became dependent on her in order to function effectively. The relationship between the two became strained due to the machinations of her ex, Phantom Limb. The ex's scheme resulted in a major battle and upheaval in the Guild of Calamitous Intent, but she managed to carry through with her intention to marry The Monarch and become his partner.

Personality/Motivation: Cynical, practical, and stubborn describe Dr. Girlfriend. She holds others to her high standards of what supervillainy should entail, and has no qualms about complaining when others fail to meet those standards. She enjoys "the old stuff" evil (which appears to be more of the golden/silver age style comic book supervillainy). She truly loves and cares for The Monarch (although nearly everyone in the Venture-verse doesn't understand what she sees in him), and has a soft spot for the Venture Brothers as well. She has some odd feelings for Rusty (Dr. Venture), although she has often compared him to The Monarch saying that they "have a lot in common." She was attracted to Brock Samson (like nearly every other female on the show) and Phantom Limb. She abides by the Guild of Calamitous Intent's rules and regulations, and seems to treat The Monarch's henchmen fairly well, although she has been described as "distant." She has one rule about automobiles: "I never drive men." Unfortunately, her masculine voice tends to put people off and fuels rumors about her having been a transsexual. These rumors circulate with regularity, no matter how she and all her romantic partners vigorously deny the accusation.

Quote: I am nobody's doormat!

Powers/Tactics: Dr. Girlfriend is quite capable as a supervillain. She's got the know-how and the moxie to pull off just about any caper, and she can hold her own in a fight. She's skilled enough at combat to take out several elite (although the word seems inadequate to really describe agent-level characters in the Venture-verse) Black Guard henchmen, but nowhere near the level of Brock Samson or Molotov Coqtiz. Her mind is first-rate, and she is staggeringly skilled in a wide variety of disciplines.

Campaign Use: DNPC, Contact, or PC in a Venture game.

Appearance: Shoulder length brunette hair, brown eyes, exceptionally attractive, dresses like Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

Character by Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, Character Sheet by Ross Watson, 2007.

[/Quote]

Edited and updated Dr. Girlfriend and Dr. Orpheus's character sheets with more information. Feedback' date=' anyone?[/quote']

They look good to me. Can I get the revised HDC files?

Quizboy certainly seems to be a competent doctor. Medical' date=' that is.[/quote']

Yup. He was also probably the sidekick of Phantom Limb when Phantom Limb was an (un-named) good guy; all of the various Phantom Limb origin stories we're offered involve a nod to Billy.

I like the idea that his hand and Phantom Limb's, er, limbs were sent 40 years into the future. The scene with all the limbs sitting around watching TV was hilarious.

Naturally, Hank's theory, while side-splittingly funny, was just absolutely nuts.