[Help] Characters to 5th edition

JmOz

Re: [Help] Characters to 5th edition

That's a tough call. You might look at the character and the Power (if it has a name, or at least implied SFX, do these call for an AOE attack?). I wouldn't increase the Active Points, unless you have a specific need for the same number of dice and Area.

If I were doing it I'd probably keep the Active Points the same and work out how much AOE Flash I can get for them. I wouldn't worry much about the conversion from Phases to Segments (except to note that Flash has been nerfed almost to uselessness, grumble grumble).

Right now I am leaning towards the following compromise

Keep active points the same, but use explosive instead of AoE

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, looking in a copy of Circle and M.E.T.E., I see that the character in question is Kor Hunter (unfortunately, while M.E.T.E. was updated for 4th ed., the Circle was not).

His powers come from magic items that he had with him when he came to our dimension (his bow, costume, and amulet).

Hmmm... Since the Flash Power got cheaper, so the same cost gets more dice; but the effect changed from Phases to Segments that the target is flashed, and still counting normal damage BODY for the effect totals...

Under the Standard Effect Rule, his original flash arrow would blind a target for 9 phases. A direct conversion would be 18 dice, so the SER would be 18 segments. A lot of characters back then had SPDs of 4 or 5 (usually 4, in the organization book we're looking at).

So say Kor Hunter hit Gratz (SPD 4) with the Flash Arrow, under the SER:

• Original arrow would blind Gratz for 2 Turns + 1 Phase

• 5th ed. arrow would blind Gratz for 1 Turn + 6 Segments

Ouch, yeah, it might need a pretty high die-value to fully duplicate the old power—and that doesn't count adding back the AoE Advantage.

Maybe a middle-ground approach? Roughly the same die-value as the original with AoE—or explosion, as mentioned—and enough of the Delayed Return Rate Advantage to turn it back into Phases?

Okay' date=' looking in a copy of [i']Circle and M.E.T.E.[/i], I see that the character in question is Kor Hunter (unfortunately, while M.E.T.E. was updated for 4th ed., the Circle was not).

His powers come from magic items that he had with him when he came to our dimension (his bow, costume, and amulet).

Hmmm... Since the Flash Power got cheaper, so the same cost gets more dice; but the effect changed from Phases to Segments that the target is flashed, and still counting normal damage BODY for the effect totals...

Under the Standard Effect Rule, his original flash arrow would blind a target for 9 phases. A direct conversion would be 18 dice, so the SER would be 18 segments. A lot of characters back then had SPDs of 4 or 5 (usually 4, in the organization book we're looking at).

So say Kor Hunter hit Gratz (SPD 4) with the Flash Arrow, under the SER:

• Original arrow would blind Gratz for 2 Turns + 1 Phase

• 5th ed. arrow would blind Gratz for 1 Turn + 6 Segments

Ouch, yeah, it might need a pretty high die-value to fully duplicate the old power—and that doesn't count adding back the AoE Advantage.

Maybe a middle-ground approach? Roughly the same die-value as the original with AoE—or explosion, as mentioned—and enough of the Delayed Return Rate Advantage to turn it back into Phases?

Where can I find this Delayed return rate, not including 5th revised, as I do not have that book?

Where can I find this Delayed return rate' date=' not including 5th revised, as I do not have that book?[/quote']

5th ed., page 75, 1st column, bottom.

(That's one of the things that bogs bugs me about this book, all these Advantages & Limitations that appear before the Powers.)

5th ed. Rev., page 111, bottom of 1st column to top of 2nd column.

Character Creation Handbook, page 124, 2nd column, near bottom

Sidekick Rev., page 38, 2nd column (under "Regaining Lost Points; Losing Gained Points")

(Hopefully at least one on the list will hit the mark.) :winkgrin:

that advantage is only for adjustment powers

Heh, welcome to the wonderful world of little-bitty rules changes from one book to the next. The Delayed Return Rate Advantage isn't specifically added to the entry for Flash until one gets to the Character Creation Handbook.

On page 202 of that volume, the Advantage is added to the Power, making the return rate one turn. Using that as an example, modifying Flash from segments to phases would probably be a +1 Advantage.

Heh' date=' welcome to the wonderful world of little-bitty rules changes from one book to the next. The Delayed Return Rate Advantage isn't specifically added to the entry for Flash until one gets to the [i']Character Creation Handbook[/i].

On page 202 of that volume, the Advantage is added to the Power, making the return rate one turn. Using that as an example, modifying Flash from segments to phases would probably be a +1 Advantage.

That, to a major extent, makes up for all of the nerfing of Flash over the years. +1 to move to Phases sounds about right, and adding Nonselective Area (which is +3/4 if I'm remembering correctly?) brings it to 13.75 points per die... not terrible at all, and definitely doable for a conversion. 9 dice at this gives us 123.75 Active Points, not too much over the 90 that originally was.

Heh' date=' welcome to the wonderful world of little-bitty rules changes from one book to the next. The Delayed Return Rate Advantage isn't specifically added to the entry for Flash until one gets to the [i']Character Creation Handbook[/i].

Can someone independently verify, I found something similar in UEP, a +2 to make it turn base...I appreciate the verification...

Not disbeleiving FireTiger, just like double checks

I've not gotten any of the 5th ed. Ultimate books yet, myself. Since the version of "1 Turn for +2" was found in Ultimate Energy Projector, that is probably where it came from originally. (Lots of bits & pieces from other books were added to the Character Creation Handbook.)

I thought of it in this way: Since the original makes two steps down the Time Chart for a total modifier of +2, then each step would likely be worth +1. Oh yes, before I forget utterly, you've probably noticed this advantage for Flash is a Stop Sign Advantage.

• 4 years later...

Hey Chris' date=' Thank you so much. However wouldn't Streetwise be part of Detective work?[/quote']

You're welcome! :) Since Streetwise appeared in Champions II, if all you were playing with was Champions, 3rd Edition then probably, otherwise probably not.