[Help] Characters to 5th edition

JmOz

I am starting this thread as I am about to begin a great endeaver, of transcribing all of my pre 5th edition characters into Hero Designer

Unfortunatly my knowledge of the rules is minimal before 4th edition.

So any major rules changes that you can think of please let me know, plus I will be posting as I work on characters specific questions I have. My thanks in advance

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [Help] Characters to 5th edition

First question, Working on Enemies version of Utility. His Martial arts says "1/2 damage multiple for Martial Arts" bought OIF, what is this refering to, Ido know that MA use to just give what is now called the "Generic Martial Arts" package, but not sure what is above...

First question' date=' Working on Enemies version of Utility. His Martial arts says "1/2 damage multiple for Martial Arts" bought OIF, what is this refering to, Ido know that MA use to just give what is now called the "Generic Martial Arts" package, but not sure what is above...[/quote']

Originally, Martial arts was bought as a damage multiple to STR. No individual maneuvers.

so if you paid (I think it was 20 pts) you got 1.5x the Dice for your damage (rounded up for punch) and 2x for Kick (20 str guy got 6d6 punch 8 d6 kick)

you could pay more points to move the "multiple" up in .5 incraments.

Originally, Martial arts was bought as a damage multiple to STR. No individual maneuvers.

so if you paid (I think it was 20 pts) you got 1.5x the Dice for your damage (rounded up for punch) and 2x for Kick (20 str guy got 6d6 punch 8 d6 kick)

you could pay more points to move the "multiple" up in .5 incraments.

So with a Str 20 & +0.5 he would do 8d6 with his Punch & 10d6 with Kick?

Thanks

First question' date=' Working on Enemies version of Utility. His Martial arts says "1/2 damage multiple for Martial Arts" bought OIF, what is this refering to, Ido know that MA use to just give what is now called the "Generic Martial Arts" package, but not sure what is above...[/quote']

Only us Hero Games 'old timers' know the answer to this: when Martial Arts was created, there was no such thing as +2d6 or +4d6 from Offensive Strike, etc. Instead, damage was a multiplier to your Strength. A Martial Punch was 1 1/2x your Strength and a Martial Kick was x2 damage of your Strength.

Hence:

Buffalo Bob has a 20 Strength with the old Martial Arts. A Martial Punch for Buffalo Bob would've been 6d6 Damage (20 Strength x 1 1/2 = 30 Str or 6d6). A Martial Kick for Buffalo Bob would've been 8d6 (20 Strength x2 = 40 Strength).

A +1/2 Multiplier could be bought numerous times to raise the damage done by the old Martial Arts, with theoretically no limit. Thus, a Martial Punch could've added a total of +1 1/2 multiplier to the Martial Punch, giving a x3 Multiplier, in which case, Buffalo Bob (above) would've done 12d6 damage (20 Str x3 multiplier= 60 Str)

That's the old Martial Arts in a nutshell.

Yup, check his character sheet to see if there are any other martial arts levels.

First level of martial arts costs equal to your STR and lets you do 1.5 times your STR damage (so multiply STR by 1.5, then figure damage). Each additional +0.5 of STR multiplier costs STR/2. So that billy club should cost STR/2.5, which is to say STR/2 with a -1/2 lim.

JmOz, here's where you can find a good summary of rules changes from pre-Fourth Edition Hero games (as HTML and DOC files). I recommend downloading the HTML file attached later on the thread - it's cleaner and better organized:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15890

AVAR-7 doesn't have a damage shield. He has a 6d6 NND with no range the defense is Force Field. His powers all work around the idea that he can vary his density. So his special attack is in line with that of Marvel's Vision, he goes partially desolid and attacks you through your normal defenses.

yup, I was, umm, TESTING you , yah that's the ticket :)

Seriously yah, I misread it somehow, I think it had to do with a distinct lack of caffine and a 14 year old daughter going "Can we go now" type thing...

Good catch however...

You know, I kind of like the old school champions martial arts. It gives you a general mechanical effect and leaves the rest to description. If you wanted more granularity you could allow maneuvers for 1 point each, which would cover those odd special effects that don't fit into damage or combat value modifications, the latter of which can just be modeled with, gasp, skill levels.

Since we are on the topic, I am working on translating a couple of 4e characters to 5e.

What was the status of heal, flash and dispel in 4e? My memory is that they changed, but I can't remember what they used to be.

Thanks

Since we are on the topic, I am working on translating a couple of 4e characters to 5e.

What was the status of heal, flash and dispel in 4e? My memory is that they changed, but I can't remember what they used to be.

Thanks

Heal is its own power and cost 10 points per 1d6 of Healing.

Flash is 5 points per 1d6 of Flash

Dispel remains the same I believe.

Cheers

QM

In 4E, Healing was handled with Aid, Only To Starting Values. Under 4E the benefits of Adjustment Powers didn't fade below the starting level of Characteristics or Powers they were used on. The "Simplified Healing" option for 5E Healing was an option for 4E Aid. Regeneration was a separate Power, restoring one BODY per Turn for every 10 Active Points.

4E Flash was 10 Active Points for 1d6 of Flash, but the effect lasted for the rolled number of Phases rather than Segments as in 5E, and there was no difference in cost for Targeting and Nontargeting Senses. Dispel hasn't changed AFAICT, aside from more clarification.

In 4E, Healing was handled with Aid, Only To Starting Values. Under 4E the benefits of Adjustment Powers didn't fade below the starting level of Characteristics or Powers they were used on. The "Simplified Healing" option for 5E Healing was an option for 4E Aid. Regeneration was a separate Power, restoring one BODY per Turn for every 10 Active Points.

4E Flash was 10 Active Points for 1d6 of Flash, but the effect lasted for the rolled number of Phases rather than Segments as in 5E, and there was no difference in cost for Targeting and Nontargeting Senses. Dispel hasn't changed AFAICT, aside from more clarification.

I still prefer 4th edition Regen, but with a few minor changes (I allow the two adders from healing)

Okay, 2 slight problems on the current guy

First: What did "Full spectrum Invisibility" mean in 2nd edition? I currently have it built as just sight group, thinking (as he has room in his MP) to include Radio/Sound

Second: LS 20 points included (according to 3rd edition) Immune to poisons absorbed through the skin, how would that be written up?

Finnaly, and this is a philisophical question on the last character, I personaly do not like the current regen rules, I am thinking of applying my house rule to the characters...

I'll give the first two questions a shot:

In the older editions normal Invisibility cost 20 points. For that you were invisible to normal sight only. The number of enhanced senses were fewer back then and to be invisible to them you used the following adders: +5 points Invisible to IR & UV vision, +5 points Invisible to X-Ray vision, +5 points Invisible to N-Ray vision, +5 points Invisible to Radar. Thus for 40 points you were invisible to everything. To get rid of the fringe was a +1/2 Advantage, so for 60 points you were invisible to everything and had no fringe.

Concepts like invisibility to hearing, touch or other senses hadn't come along yet. Likewise powers like Detect were around yet either.

The old LS rules ran as follows:

5 points - Character may breathe underwater

10 points - Character does not have to breathe, immune to inhaled gases

15 points - Character is immune to gases absorbed through the skin

20 points - Character may survive in space or under high pressure

25 points - Character need not eat or excrete

30 points - Character may survive under conditions of extreme heat, cold, radiation, etc. although he still takes damage from attacks of these natures due to shock

So basically a character with 20 pts LS has the first four abilities from the chart above. In the current rules I'd buy the character self-contained breathing and immunity to all terrestrial poisons and diseases. If he can't absorb them through the skin I'd say that breathing them isn't going to affect him either. About the only way they will affect him is if they are delivered via a sting or dart that penetrates the skin. That might be worth a -1/4 limitation depending on how common that sort of delivery method is in your campaign.

Guest Major Tom

I've just started a similar project myself, in that I'm attempting to update some

of the characters from the 4th Ed supplement Normals Unbound by using

some of the character templates from Everyman. So far, I've completed

the writeup for Shanna Armbruster, and she's gone from being a 75-point norm-

al to a 100-point normal. I still need to go over the writeup and check the math, but so far it looks all right.

Major Tom :cool:

4E Flash was 10 Active Points for 1d6 of Flash' date=' but the effect lasted for the rolled number of Phases rather than Segments as in 5E, and there was no difference in cost for Targeting and Nontargeting Senses. Dispel hasn't changed AFAICT, aside from more clarification.[/quote']

Back in 1e, 2e, and 3e, Flash was "Sight Only," hence it's legacy name, and was roll for Segments. And IIRC AoE also.

4e allowed "Flashing" of other senses, counted Phases, and changfed to Single Target.

5e went back to Segments and changed the cost. IE Targetting vs Non-Targeting. Which makes some sense.