[Help] Characters to 5th edition

JmOz

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Re: [Help] Characters to 5th edition

Good to hear JmOz, looking forward to seeing them.

Death Singer (Requiem)

Chiller

Death Commando

Stinger

Arrow Head (Shockwave)

(Female Menatalist ???)

Cheers

QM

Sorry to say that I am not going to post them, as I am sure that Steve and crew would frown on that, Ironicaly all the one's you listed are from Enemies II, they get reprinted in Deathstroke

• 2 months later...

Got another stumbling block from converting so old, the following line

8 ! 2"r Darkness (Act on 14 or less, 2 charges, x8 pb each, won't work in high winds)

Ok, breaking it down

it originaly cost 8 points, nice but irrelevent to me

The ! represents OAF, ok

2"r Darkness, simple enough, 2" Darkness

Act 14-

2 Charges

Won't work in high winds

got all of that, but what does x8 pb each stand for? any help would be appreciated

Got another stumbling block from converting so old, the following line

8 ! 2"r Darkness (Act on 14 or less, 2 charges, x8 pb each, won't work in high winds)

Ok, breaking it down

it originaly cost 8 points, nice but irrelevent to me

The ! represents OAF, ok

2"r Darkness, simple enough, 2" Darkness

Act 14-

2 Charges

Won't work in high winds

got all of that, but what does x8 pb each stand for? any help would be appreciated

Hmmm...I've an idea. I hauled out Champions (3rd ed.), Champions II, Enemies II, Deathstroke, and Champions Universe (4th ed.), and while I didn't find a specific mention of what you're looking for, I think I might have figured it out.

Since the Continuing Charges variant of the Limited Uses (Charges now) Limitation wasn't introduced officially until Champions III, I think that the ×8 PB stands for "times eight power battery."

This would mean that the Blackout Grenades generate a smoke cloud that lasts for a good bit longer than a single phase (Deathstroke agents being SPD 3).

I might not have the answer, but it is the only thing I can think of that fits. (Since back then, the ×8 END Battery was a -0 Limitation.)

How does that idea sound to everyone else?

Added 19 Dec: Okay, while looking in one of my copies of Champiosn II again, I found some material that confirms the idea. On page 27, the example Infamous Gas and Nefarious Invisible Gas traps both use the full term, rather than an abbreviation, like so:

1 Charge of a ×8 Power Battery

FRIZBE What were they thinking? A Super Villainous (A black albino with a Irish sounding name no less) who is based around "Flying Disks" aka Frizbees...

Sometimes you just have to laugh

Hehe, aye, she did make for one of the oddest villains (and was reported killed by Sniper on 03 August 1988, according to Champions Universe (4th ed.)). If memory serves, "Frizbee-Golf" was a popular picnic sport back in then. She's from Enemies.

Hero Book #02 Enemies is now complete' date=' next up Hero Book #04: Escape From Stronghold, only about 15 characters in the next one[/quote']

Sorry for a :dh: note, just wanted to mention that Escape From Stronghold had been updated for 4th edition in Classic Enemies.

OK, so took a couple weeks off, got a new book (2nd edition baby), so have started the ones in them, and I just NEED TO LAUGH

INT 10, Physicist, no skills, I mean he has more points in COM than int...

SO starts Starburst

The Professional and Science Skills weren't introduced until Champions II, which did make for an awful lack of character skills in those written-up before then.

Death Singer (Requiem)

Chiller

Death Commando

Stinger

Arrow Head (Shockwave)

(Female Menatalist ???)

The egoist Scatterbrain was added to the Deathstroke team when it was updated for 4th ed. in Champions Universe. And Chiller was the new name given to Frost.

Now that folks have mentioned it, there are a few things in Champions II that might be worth looking at...(some of this stuff has already been redone in 4th & 5th ed.)

Normals: Small Child, Teenager, Average Man, Average Woman, Senior Citizen, Thug #1, Thug #2, and Thug #3.

Bonus Gadets: Weapons, scattered throughout the book.

Turtle Armor (this was updated for 4th edition, on page S43 of Champions), and the original write-up for "Jimmy Dugan, Ace Reporter" (updated for 4th edition on page S39 of Champions).

Added 28 Dec: Jimmy Dugan was updated for 5th edition on page 52 of the new Champions Universe.

Hmmm...I've an idea. I hauled out Champions (3rd ed.)' date=' [i']Champions II, Enemies II, Deathstroke,[/i] and Champions Universe (4th ed.), and while I didn't find a specific mention of what you're looking for, I think I might have figured it out.

Since the Continuing Charges variant of the Limited Uses (Charges now) Limitation wasn't introduced officially until Champions III, I think that the ×8 PB stands for "times eight power battery."

This would mean that the Blackout Grenades generate a smoke cloud that lasts for a good bit longer than a single phase (Deathstroke agents being SPD 3).

I might not have the answer, but it is the only thing I can think of that fits. (Since back then, the ×8 END Battery was a -0 Limitation.)

How does that idea sound to everyone else?

That sounds right to me. I think that was commonly how that kind of thing was done in those days, though I don't think there was a rule permitting it. That one would have taken some GM interpretation and an explanation in the character's text.

That sounds right to me. I think that was commonly how that kind of thing was done in those days' date=' though I don't think there was a rule permitting it. That one would have taken some GM interpretation and an explanation in the character's text.[/quote']

The are probably numerous similar cases in the old books. At the time the way the Blackout Grenades were purchased wasn't really legal, but it did work. It was the only way to get a cloud of smoke to last longer than a single phase.

Continuing Charges came later, and back then, Endurance (Power) Battery was a limitation, now we've Endurance Reserve as a power. The example powers Smoke Grenade Mk-I & Mk-II show how they'd be built now.

• 2 weeks later...

Book 9 is done' date=' Border Crossing (a adventure for Espionage!) is next, as I do not own Espionage! anyone want to fill me in on things to look out for?[/quote']

I've both the module and the rules, I should have a few notes once I get the host-organism to sleep for awhile. :P (I'll add to this post in an edit, rather than another post.)

Added: Well, after a quick look through, it should be fairly easy. The only potential snag a saw was about the weapons the NPCs have. That is also pretty easy to take care of:

• Truncheon — this used to be the "One Handed Club" in Espionage!, in the current rules, it would be the "Baton" from the Hand to Hand Weapons table.

• Makarov PM — this is pretty straight-forward, having been converted to 5E in the core book. This pistol is a SIZE 2 object for concealment purposes, so I'd probably call it a +2 PER modifier under the 5E concealment rules.

• AKM — again, pretty easy, as it was included in the 5E rules. This weapon was a SIZE 12 object for concealment, and would probably be a +6 PER modifier weapon now.

Added: There is the silent-attack trained German Shepard on page 11 of the adventure. It wasn't stated-out fully, but it can be made by modifying the write-up for the Doberman from page 139 of the 4th Ed. Hero System Bestiary. There's a snag here, in that the older games had combat systems that were each a little bit different from the others. In Espionage!, everyone could use any combat maneuver without having to pay points, in the current rules, the dog would buy the two maneuvers listed in the adventure.

• Flying Tackle: This exists in the current rules and can be found on page 9 of the Ultimate Martial Artist for 5th ed.

• Killing Blow: In the original write-up, this gave the dog a ½d6 HKA to represent its bite. Now it would probably have a 1d6 HKA Reduced Penetration Bite along with the the Killing Strike maneuver to take it up to a total 2d6 HKA that takes a 1d6+3 Hit Location roll, the dog trying for the target's throat whenever possible.

I've both the module and the rules, I should have a few notes once I get the host-organism to sleep for awhile. :P (I'll add to this post in an edit, rather than another post.)

Added: Well, after a quick look through, it should be fairly easy. The only potential snag a saw was about the weapons the NPCs have. That is also pretty easy to take care of:

• Truncheon — this used to be the "One Handed Club" in Espionage!, in the current rules, it would be the "Baton" from the Hand to Hand Weapons table.

• Makarov PM — this is pretty straight-forward, having been converted to 5E in the core book. This pistol is a SIZE 2 object for concealment purposes, so I'd probably call it a +2 PER modifier under the 5E concealment rules.

• AKM — again, pretty easy, as it was included in the 5E rules. This weapon was a SIZE 12 object for concealment, and would probably be a +6 PER modifier weapon now.

Must spread rep before I hit you with my rep stick again, so I will just thank you for now

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I tend to give low ego's to non mentalists. I know normal human range is up to 20, but does anyone else think an average East German Railway Clerk with an ego of 18 is excessive? Just saying, I mean they may have the will power, never delt with any, but sheesh that seems high... (Border Crossing page 31)

OK' date=' I know I tend to give low ego's to non mentalists. I know normal human range is up to 20, but does anyone else think an average East German Railway Clerk with an ego of 18 is excessive? Just saying, I mean they may have the will power, never delt with any, but sheesh that seems high... (Border Crossing page 31)[/quote']

Walter was given the highest EGO score of the NPCs, wasn't he? :) That might have been intended to reflect the character's attitude and determination to avoid being hasseled by any Vopo; it could also have been intended to make the PC agents sweat a bit if they try to talk him into anything.

Added: It also occurs to me that it might have been to help represent how much he acts like he's carefully checking papers, as the Acting skill wasn't in the Espionage! rules.

OK' date=' I know I tend to give low ego's to non mentalists. I know normal human range is up to 20, but does anyone else think an average East German Railway Clerk with an ego of 18 is excessive? Just saying, I mean they may have the will power, never delt with any, but sheesh that seems high... (Border Crossing page 31)[/quote']

For that matter, he's in a setting with no Mental Powers, except for those bought Based On CON.

I think it was just in concept, for whoever designed the character. It's not like it's going to have that much effect, and he's still within NCM.

Finished Border Crossing' date=' moving on to The Circle & M.E.T.A., I do not own Great Super Villain Contest[/quote']

The Circle & M.E.T.E. is a book I've got. The M.E.T.E. half of the book was updated for 4th ed. in Alien Enemies. I don't know just now if The Circle was updated anywhere, though.

I've got The Great Supervillain Contest, so I can probably help out a bit with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

So one issue comes up again

Flash has changed considerably, a number of the Circle has Flash attacks as part of a MP (Flash's worked on phases not segments, all were AE, adjusting END costs)

If I adjust the MP to allow the flash the MP's will double in effect (90 point MP's will become 180-202 point MP's), making the MP more useful, but I don't want to curtail the characters to much either. So should I, in the audience's opinion, adjust the MP to much higher levels, or cut the Flash's down to size, or some middle ground?

So one issue comes up again

Flash has changed considerably, a number of the Circle has Flash attacks as part of a MP (Flash's worked on phases not segments, all were AE, adjusting END costs)

If I adjust the MP to allow the flash the MP's will double in effect (90 point MP's will become 180-202 point MP's), making the MP more useful, but I don't want to curtail the characters to much either. So should I, in the audience's opinion, adjust the MP to much higher levels, or cut the Flash's down to size, or some middle ground?

That's a tough call. You might look at the character and the Power (if it has a name, or at least implied SFX, do these call for an AOE attack?). I wouldn't increase the Active Points, unless you have a specific need for the same number of dice and Area.

If I were doing it I'd probably keep the Active Points the same and work out how much AOE Flash I can get for them. I wouldn't worry much about the conversion from Phases to Segments (except to note that Flash has been nerfed almost to uselessness, grumble grumble).