[Character] Makeshift

Killer Shrike

Working out the kinks on a new PC for an upcoming campaign. This will be the PC of fellow forumite WilyQuixote.

The background is still being worked out beyond the initial premise, and a good chunk of Disads need to be filled in.

Input is welcome on the character, particularly suggestions on Disads, and growth potential for future tech acquisitions....

Makeshift

Re: [Character] Makeshift

I would not have him quit PRIMUS, this is at least in part a meta game reason that it lets him keep access to upgrades. Of course Warlord and his warmachine would be a given for upgrades

A fight with UTILITY is of course a must...

I hate vulnerabilities on PA characters (personal)

If he keeps working for Primus he can have a watched by, and a subject to orders, plus VIPER in his CI

Having him being blackmailed would be fun

DNPC's always help to fill in other disads

So would a sociel inept or shy (stereotypical though)

I see he is 2 points over 350, would recomend dropping either the extra running or one point of REC

The main challenge w/ this character is that he would work better with a large gadget VPP so that bits and pieces modeled after various power armored characters could be swapped in and out on occasion, but unfortunately most such items are modeled on Multipowers, which cannot legally be taken in a VPP.

I gave some thought to allowing it anyway, but in the end I didnt want other players to feel like their characters were at a disadvantage due to such an obvious sidestepping of a pretty major core rule.

Anyone have any philosophical input on this conundrum?

The movement is typical for 350 point non-speedster supers' date=' but is definitely an area for future growth to be sure though.[/quote']

I hate to ask this but... 5" of flight is typical? Most characters I have seen have at least 10" of Combat movement (in some form or another)

The main challenge w/ this character is that he would work better with a large gadget VPP so that bits and pieces modeled after various power armored characters could be swapped in and out on occasion, but unfortunately most such items are modeled on Multipowers, which cannot legally be taken in a VPP.

I gave some thought to allowing it anyway, but in the end I didnt want other players to feel like their characters were at a disadvantage due to such an obvious sidestepping of a pretty major core rule.

I don't see any reason why the character couldn't have the exact same powers frameworked differently.

I think building the character with a VPP is the most appropriate way, but that doesn't mean you need to bend or break the rules about having a framework inside a framework.

First: take off the 0 End, and give him an End Reserve. It will save tons of points (65 to be exact). 20 points buys a 100 End Reserve with a 10 Recovery, that leaves him with 40 points to do with as he pleases.

Second, How about this:

90 point VPP, requires a skill roll to change (+0), half phase to change (+1/2), OIF (-1/2), Slightly Limited Class of Powers (stolen tech) (-1/4) {38 pt control cost, 128 total points}

You could probably tack on more disads, and the limited class might be worth more than -1/4 (I was being conservative).

The VPP would not include the Anklyosaurus armor.

It would however allow him to use 3-4 powers (as they are currently built) at a time without changing the pool. And if the player is willing to make some minor changes to the powers (like increased end cost, or requires a skill roll) he could easily have even more active.

On another note, I would also give him more skills. If he worked for the PRIMUS R&D department, I would think he would have skills like: physics, system operations, computer programing, or inventor.

Plus, lastly...

What weaponsmith skill does he have? You have it marked down as 3pts for a 13-, but the skill is bought in categories (2 for the first, 1 for each additional) just like survival and navigation.

Hope this is of some help. I really like the character concept.

I had that problem with my archer, this is what I came up with

Give him a cosmic VPP, have a lim on it (Aprox -1/4), that basicaly says that he has to predetermine the powers that he can change his pool to while in the field, I would suggest x5 the pool in posible powers, of course he can only have active the number based on his VPP

It does cost alot, thus it becomes a question of point effectivness...

I was looking over the character again and I realized something...

If you keep him with the build he has he can make use of MPA.

If you change him to having a VPP he cannot.

Yes, we are aware of this. It was the big consolation prize of the build.

I hate to ask this but... 5" of flight is typical? Most characters I have seen have at least 10" of Combat movement (in some form or another)

The character has 12" Run, 12" Leap, 12" Swim, 12" Tunneling, which exceeds the typical range of movement.

Type Total

Run (6) 7"/12" [14"/24" NC]

Swim (2) 2"/12" [4"/24" NC]

H. Leap (2") 1"/12"

V. Leap (1") 0 1/2"/6"

Flight 0"/5" [0"/10" NC]

Tunneling 12" [24" NC]

The boot jets for 5" are not the character's primary mode of movement; they are basically an ace up the sleeve if he ever gets dropped from a great height, or needs to cross between two rooftops that are farther than he can leap, and similar exigencies.

I don't see any reason why the character couldn't have the exact same powers frameworked differently.

Because the concept / shtick of the character is to take write ups off of other published characters and use them basically as is, with only minor improvements.

Anyone can make a VPP Gadget pool with toys in it. That's boring. This character's premise is what makes him interesting.

I think building the character with a VPP is the most appropriate way, but that doesn't mean you need to bend or break the rules about having a framework inside a framework.

First: take off the 0 End, and give him an End Reserve. It will save tons of points (65 to be exact). 20 points buys a 100 End Reserve with a 10 Recovery, that leaves him with 40 points to do with as he pleases.

At the expense of only being able to function for a short timeframe before running the armor out of juice. The 0 END build gives the character sustainability. Also, the player doesn't like tracking END and is willing to pay for the privilege.

On another note, I would also give him more skills. If he worked for the PRIMUS R&D department, I would think he would have skills like: physics, system operations, computer programing, or inventor.

This is an old argument. A) he's not a scientist, hes a technician. B) he's not an inventor -- that's why he's using other peoples tech. C) He's paying points for the abilities, so he really doesn't actually need any skills at all for anything other than background. D) People that force "science / tech" characters to dump a ton of points into background skills that they don't even really need in a supers campaign are effectively just applying a SFX-specific tax on such characters. How many skills does it take to justify "I've got a power armor suit"? 0? 10? Personally, not a sacred cow I care for.

Mechanics, Electronics, and Weaponsmith cover the main basis this character would need to build a replica of a piece of tech from a blueprint or repair & refurbish a piece he swiped off of someone else, IMO. The "professional" aspect of engineering in general is covered under the "Techie" umbrella; out of combat the character can usually rely on specs and whitepapers to offset penalties for specialized knowledge, and in combat it likely wont matter any more or less than PS skills typically do.

Plus, lastly...

What weaponsmith skill does he have? You have it marked down as 3pts for a 13-, but the skill is bought in categories (2 for the first, 1 for each additional) just like survival and navigation.

I don't require sub categories in a supers campaign. If a player wants to take them to show extra competence in specific areas thats fine, but they don't have to if they don't want to. This is completely in line with the operating parameters of the game.

I had that problem with my archer, this is what I came up with

Give him a cosmic VPP, have a lim on it (Aprox -1/4), that basicaly says that he has to predetermine the powers that he can change his pool to while in the field, I would suggest x5 the pool in posible powers, of course he can only have active the number based on his VPP

It does cost alot, thus it becomes a question of point effectivness...

Yes, he could have a standard Gadget Pool and just be a gadgeteer. He could have a mix of basic power armor plus a VPP for modular add ons. He could approximate a similar effect by buying one bigger MP with lots of slots purloined from various other suits, and explain away that his suit can only power one or two at a time. Etc. We looked at these various options in detail. However, all of them were rather boring in execution. In the end we found that just taking the bits directly and self contained "felt" most right for the concept, but sadly the Framework restriction make it a less than optimally efficient build. In the end the player decided on concept over efficiency, which I can't find fault with.

However it got me to thinking about how abusive would it really be to have MP gadgets within a VPP. If you stop to think about it, many "gadgets" in the HERO System end up being multipowers, but most "gadgeteers" are built around VPP's, creating hidden friction at the mechanical level.

Arguing from concept, why can't a gadgeteer w/ a VPP pick up and use a gadget built around an MP via their gadget pool? The mechanics say its too efficient, so no way for game balance reasons. However this is actually an area where the idea of Resource Pools from Dark Champions works better than a VPP...and all a Resource Pool really is is a specialized VPP you don't pay points for; you can have items designed as a VPP, EC, or MP in a Resource Pool, making it sort of a super framework.

It seems odd to me that such a concept is ok in a heroic level campaign, but is somehow too powerful in a superheroic level campaign. Granted in a DC game all characters get some free pool which theoretically "balances" out any advantages (although not really as it largely favors characters that leverage gear over characters that aren't designed to care about gear, but there are mechanisms to correct even this).

This has gotten me thinking, far beyond the scope of this one character, about the feasibility of an "uber framework" like a Resource Pool available in a supers campaign that would support a collection of constructs regardless of their framework usage (or lack thereof), and how to cost it out in a way that is fair and balanced.

15  	  3)   Enhanced Constitution:   +15 CON (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)  	
16 	  4)   Enhanced Dexterity:  +11 DEX (33 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 	
22 	  5)   Enhanced Strength:  +30 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 	

I guess these are all OIF since the points work out, even though the OIF isn't listed. Never been a fan of requiring power suited characters to take NFC on characteristics bought through foci, but that's my personal preference. If the armour gives him enough CON to withstand a decent EGO blast or NND without getting Stunned, shouldn't it also give him the extra STUN and END too?

If the character is caught without his OIF, what does he plan to do? Doesn't seem to have much utility apart from his armour. I prefer powersuit characters to be more capable without their focus. Design call, I guess.

As far as a new kind of framework goes, for swapping the character's gear around... good question. For Makeshift, it seems like acquiring new bits of armour should be an event worthy of a story arc. I'd allow a character like this to redesign his armour whenever he got a significant new bit of kit to work with, if he wanted. But changes more frequently than a 'between adventures' scope seems outside of his technical abilities. That doesn't mean a more technically capable person might not be able to come up with changes on the fly, though. One way to address it would be to use a power-armour-as-vehicle or power-armour-as-multiform model to construct the different packages the character can come up with; then, adding new versions becomes relatively simple, with play balance deriving from shtick preservation and GM oversight.

Using the Resource Pool rules might work as well, especially if everyone does have access to Resource Pool if they want it. It might lend a different tone to the game if everyone starts carrying around at least a little bit of super-tech, but it's nevertheless still workable.

Yes, he could have a standard Gadget Pool and just be a gadgeteer. He could have a mix of basic power armor plus a VPP for modular add ons. He could approximate a similar effect by buying one bigger MP with lots of slots purloined from various other suits, and explain away that his suit can only power one or two at a time. Etc. We looked at these various options in detail. However, all of them were rather boring in execution. In the end we found that just taking the bits directly and self contained "felt" most right for the concept, but sadly the Framework restriction make it a less than optimally efficient build. In the end the player decided on concept over efficiency, which I can't find fault with.

However it got me to thinking about how abusive would it really be to have MP gadgets within a VPP. If you stop to think about it, many "gadgets" in the HERO System end up being multipowers, but most "gadgeteers" are built around VPP's, creating hidden friction at the mechanical level.

Arguing from concept, why can't a gadgeteer w/ a VPP pick up and use a gadget built around an MP via their gadget pool? The mechanics say its too efficient, so no way for game balance reasons. However this is actually an area where the idea of Resource Pools from Dark Champions works better than a VPP...and all a Resource Pool really is is a specialized VPP you don't pay points for; you can have items designed as a VPP, EC, or MP in a Resource Pool, making it sort of a super framework.

It seems odd to me that such a concept is ok in a heroic level campaign, but is somehow too powerful in a superheroic level campaign. Granted in a DC game all characters get some free pool which theoretically "balances" out any advantages (although not really as it largely favors characters that leverage gear over characters that aren't designed to care about gear, but there are mechanisms to correct even this).

This has gotten me thinking, far beyond the scope of this one character, about the feasibility of an "uber framework" like a Resource Pool available in a supers campaign that would support a collection of constructs regardless of their framework usage (or lack thereof), and how to cost it out in a way that is fair and balanced.

not to turn this into a big debate thread, but my thinking goes like this: One of the advantages a MP has over a VPP is the ease of changing. Allowing a MP into a VPP is a way for the player to sidestep this disadvantage of a VPP. In a heroic game where the GM controls the equipment more this would not be as bad, but still something to watch

(Continuing my way of thinking) if you buy the VPP as cosmic you have the speed of a MP, turning a VPP truley into a MP with everypower in it. If this is to much ability there are limits you can take to help trim it down (the aforementioned: only salvaged tech, or a new cap on the number of points being able to be held, or anything else)

(Finishing my thoughts up), VPP's make me nervous as it is, the amount of do anything is fightning, to make it so they can do it faster without paying more points stikes me as being to easy to abuse

In the end however you know the players better than I do, maybe yours would not take advantage of it, but in this instance I think it is better

to be cautious. If you decide to let it go (There is btw presedence in both 4th & 5th edition books) then I recomend telling the player "We're going to try this, at anytime I may change my mind"

(ammendment to my thoughts)

You ask about a uber framework, I would contend that the Cosmic (+2) VPP is already basicaly said being

If the character is caught without his OIF' date=' what does he plan to do? Doesn't seem to have much utility apart from his armour. I prefer powersuit characters to be more capable without their focus. Design call, I guess.[/quote']

Always the flip side of the coin for Power Armor characters. Either they invest more in their base abilities and have a weak suit, or focus on their hero persona at the expense of their innate abilities. What's right is a character by character, player by player call.

The player is a veteran of the HERO System w/ over 10 years xp in the system; he's aware of and understands the tradeoff he's making here.

As far as a new kind of framework goes, for swapping the character's gear around... good question. For Makeshift, it seems like acquiring new bits of armour should be an event worthy of a story arc. I'd allow a character like this to redesign his armour whenever he got a significant new bit of kit to work with, if he wanted. But changes more frequently than a 'between adventures' scope seems outside of his technical abilities. That doesn't mean a more technically capable person might not be able to come up with changes on the fly, though.

Yes, I plan to allow him to cannabilize / recoup points on a limited basis if he acquires something useful / decides to reconfigure the armor, but I don't want it to be a whenever the whim strikes scenario. However, an uber-framework like a Resource Pool would make it a non issue to reconfigure the armor during down times with access to his bits and a lab.

One way to address it would be to use a power-armour-as-vehicle or power-armour-as-multiform model to construct the different packages the character can come up with; then, adding new versions becomes relatively simple, with play balance deriving from shtick preservation and GM oversight.

Yes, we considered PA as vehicles, but a) there is already a character in the setting who has that shtick and I didnt want this character overlapping it, B) the player didnt want to have to deal w/ the extra complexities of piloting a vehicle. Multiform was also considered and discarded as I don't want this character to overshadow the other starting PC's. However we left it open as an avenue for advancement in the future of the character if it seems appropriate down the road.

Using the Resource Pool rules might work as well, especially if everyone does have access to Resource Pool if they want it. It might lend a different tone to the game if everyone starts carrying around at least a little bit of super-tech, but it's nevertheless still workable.

I dont want Resource Pools per se, I want a Framework with the flexibility of a Resource Pool (to have different pieces of gear that may or may not be constructed on other frameworks) that is priced appropriately to be balanced against other characters rather than rely on ubiquity for balance.

not to turn this into a big debate thread, but my thinking goes like this: One of the advantages a MP has over a VPP is the ease of changing. Allowing a MP into a VPP is a way for the player to sidestep this disadvantage of a VPP. In a heroic game where the GM controls the equipment more this would not be as bad, but still something to watch

(Continuing my way of thinking) if you buy the VPP as cosmic you have the speed of a MP, turning a VPP truley into a MP with everypower in it. If this is to much ability there are limits you can take to help trim it down (the aforementioned: only salvaged tech, or a new cap on the number of points being able to be held, or anything else)

(Finishing my thoughts up), VPP's make me nervous as it is, the amount of do anything is fightning, to make it so they can do it faster without paying more points stikes me as being to easy to abuse

In the end however you know the players better than I do, maybe yours would not take advantage of it, but in this instance I think it is better

to be cautious. If you decide to let it go (There is btw presedence in both 4th & 5th edition books) then I recomend telling the player "We're going to try this, at anytime I may change my mind"

(ammendment to my thoughts)

You ask about a uber framework, I would contend that the Cosmic (+2) VPP is already basicaly said being

Well....come on, I'm Mr. VPP. If you've ever looked at the hundreds of characters on my site or my Magic Systems you'd know that Im no stranger to VPP's or their many and varied uses. I have no issues allowing or administering characters with VPP's. I'm not asking for advice on such. Im talking about a fundamental extension to the game system to bring in a functionality like what is already found in less powerful idioms into the superheroic, to allow a true gadget pool bereft of the current arbitrary limitation that a VPP Gadget Pool suffers from vis a vis containing constructs built around other frameworks.

Im not discussing this idea necessarily for this character; rather bumping into the limitation while making this character caused me to think about it in the first place.

I hope that you have not interpreted any of my posts as questioning your abilities (or belittling your opinions for that matter)

Well I think that the minimal inclusion is the way to go, so I would propose some form of Advantage to the VPP rules over an entire new Power Pool, but that is just me...

I think the reason the Equipment Pool works in Heroic level is it's GM controlled. If a GM realizes a weapon is too powerful because it's built on a Multipower, he can take it away pretty easily and the player hasn't really lost any points. You're also dealing with the fact that if all characters are built with 150 points without equipment, and they get the same resource pool so they are balanced. Even if one character spends some of his starting 150 points to increase his resource pool, it means he has less points for other things and balance has been maintained. Now let one buy equipment through a free Resource Pool, and the other have to pay points for his equipment, and we see a bit of a disparity.

I believe you're asking "what would be a fair cost" and I don't believe anyone can really answer that. You want a VPP that breaks the rules for VPP's. It works for Heroic for the reasons I've outlined above (everyone gets one being the main equalizer).

That's speaking from a general overall view of the concept. As far as a character specific view, I think the limitation of Must Exactly Mimic Published "Gadgets", coupled with the GM's ability to somewhat control what gadgets the character is able to aquire help to assuage some of the unbalances created by this design.

Well thank you one and all for your questions, comments, and concerns for my newest addition to the Champions/Killershrike universe! I don't really have anything useful to contribute here but I'm glad you guys like the concept. I've always been good with ideas and poor with execution of said ideas. Fortunately I have Shrike for a GM/Friend.

We were eating and brainstorming ideas about how to make a new unique PA hero. I suggested a guy who was too lazy to design his own suit but what if he took bits and pieces from all the other PA suits out there to make his own bastardized version. I mean so far as I knew it had never been done before and that struck me as odd. It also convinced me it was a great idea and Shrike whipped out his trusty note pad and pen and began scribbling furiously away. Meanwhile I poured through all the Champions products for everyone ever even rumored to wear a PA suit at some point.

I wanted to have a little something from every PA out there but the concept proved to be expensive fast. I had visions of this guy with Ankylosaur's tail, Destroyer's dented helmet (remembered seeing a pic in one of the books of someone holding the Dr.'s battered old helmet), and a slew of bits from the other villains's suits. Oh well as I get the XPs I'll definately add in the more notable distinctive PA pieces to his collection. Stay tuned true believers!

I think the reason the Equipment Pool works in Heroic level is it's GM controlled. If a GM realizes a weapon is too powerful because it's built on a Multipower, he can take it away pretty easily and the player hasn't really lost any points.

This is true of any ability in any genre at any power level.

You're also dealing with the fact that if all characters are built with 150 points without equipment, and they get the same resource pool so they are balanced. Even if one character spends some of his starting 150 points to increase his resource pool, it means he has less points for other things and balance has been maintained. Now let one buy equipment through a free Resource Pool, and the other have to pay points for his equipment, and we see a bit of a disparity.

I believe you're asking "what would be a fair cost" and I don't believe anyone can really answer that. You want a VPP that breaks the rules for VPP's. It works for Heroic for the reasons I've outlined above (everyone gets one being the main equalizer).

Which is what I meant when I used the term balanced by ubiquity, and also when I directly stated as much. ;)

That's speaking from a general overall view of the concept. As far as a character specific view, I think the limitation of Must Exactly Mimic Published "Gadgets", coupled with the GM's ability to somewhat control what gadgets the character is able to aquire help to assuage some of the unbalances created by this design.

Actually, I had a thought initially that it might be fair to allow an uber VPP that could itself contain frameworks, at the expense of the Control Cost equaling the Pool before modifiers. However, I haven't had the time to run numbers on it and see how much of an impact that would really be or the overall fairness of it either way.

I hope that you have not interpreted any of my posts as questioning your abilities (or belittling your opinions for that matter)

Well I think that the minimal inclusion is the way to go, so I would propose some form of Advantage to the VPP rules over an entire new Power Pool, but that is just me...

Sorry if that came off harsh; was posting in a hurry. A small army of people from the clients are in the office this week testing the site Ive been buidling for them for the last few months, which makes for a long tense day with few breaks.

What I meant to do was stop the thread from derailing into pointing out things about frameworks which I already know while missing the main thrust of my conjecture. Your input and collaboration are appreciated, apologies if I was curt.

Interesting. Some quick thoughts:

Power-wise

His natural speed seems a little high for a guy who was simply a techie. It's about the same as a Special Forces guy at the moment. Perhaps incorporate some of it into the armor?

Skills-wise

I'd probably give him Systems Operations - techies know how to use gear too.

Also he's described as an inventor, yet doesn't have the Inventor skill.

His specialty of miniturised power cells could be reflected in an appropriate science or knowledge skill.

Perhaps spend some points on a hidden room/lab in his house, and also the access perk.

A contact or favour with an ex-collegue from PRIMUS would be cool.

How did he track down Mantara? He doesn't have any skills or equipment that would indicate he could do this - not even a police scanner.

Disad-wise

I'd consider some sort of heroic motivation Psych Lim and another related to his drive to "stop being a nobody".

Also maybe he 'hunts' powered armor villains (for obvious reasons).

A good idea and one we were going to incorporate into anyways. Shrike is just waiting on me to give him ALL of the disads so he only has to update once. Still a good suggestion.

Also as a side note we had decided that Makeshift didn't really hunt down Mantara so much as he was the first hero on the scene for Mantara's latest escapade. He caught her, stripped off the gear he wanted and then turned the villain over to the cops. Anyways FYI, thats all. :D

Interesting. Some quick thoughts:

Power-wise

His natural speed seems a little high for a guy who was simply a techie. It's about the same as a Special Forces guy at the moment. Perhaps incorporate some of it into the armor?

Good idea. Done.

Skills-wise

I'd probably give him Systems Operations - techies know how to use gear too.

Added.

Also he's described as an inventor, yet doesn't have the Inventor skill.

Yeah, he started off as an inventor, but as we fleshed him out he became less inventive and more of a copy cat. I updated the premise accordingly

His specialty of miniturised power cells could be reflected in an appropriate science or knowledge skill.

Good point. Added.

Perhaps spend some points on a hidden room/lab in his house, and also the access perk.

Maybe later. I usually don't make supers pay for bases directly assuming its a team base, instead I start taxing XP from the PCs to slowly pay off a team base (assuming they have one). Personal bases on the other hand are paid for by the character. We'll see which way the game goes...

A contact or favour with an ex-collegue from PRIMUS would be cool.

Certainly would, but the character is thin at 350. Just don't have points for it, as its not essential to the concept. Falls into the idea of "keep a low profile so PRIMUS doesnt realize I embezzled salvage material and abused access to data storage for personal gain" anyway to avoid all contact.

How did he track down Mantara? He doesn't have any skills or equipment that would indicate he could do this - not even a police scanner.

She was in the news...latest string of attacks by Mantara , sticking up wealthy tourists taking Hornblower cruises around San Diego bay for valuables and pocket cash. He set an ambush, kicked her underpointed rear end, took some stuff from her armor for later analysis, and turned her in...job well done...

Disad-wise

I'd consider some sort of heroic motivation Psych Lim and another related to his drive to "stop being a nobody".

Id have to talk that thru w/ the player to get a feel for what that would mean for them precisely. Would that take the form of a glory hound, or a risk taker, a workaholic, or what...

Added. This was always going to be on the character, we just needed to work out how disadvantaging it was really going to be first.

Thanks!

Makeshift