Marvel and DC Universes

Colossus

Steve, once Marvel and DC newest Roleplaying systems fail, which they will, has there been any thought of licensing.

I know I started with the original Marvel (pre-Advanced Marvel) system from TSR. The system had a wonderful universe that I cared about, but once you’re over about 14 you discover the system fails to live up to the level of HERO (or even a modern d20 system).

If Hero games contracted to create Marvel and/or DC settings it would bring in a lot of new players. It would also, I believe help the comic companies, as you have a much better game mechanic then they do.

I like the Hero Universe, don’t get me wrong – but I’d rather meet Batman than Nighthawk (even the Kyle Richmond version!) or Colossus rather than Iornside.

A few genre books filled with stats on the X-Men, JLA or Avengers would sell – look at the Web versions of these characters. Just a thought. What do others think.

webversions of the older TSR version can be found on :

http://www.telebyte.nl/~vlemming/index.html

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appchar.htm

You can reform the stats in HERO form using this page

http://www.hierax.com/hero/super/marvel.html

Stats of the TSR form are explained in this PDF files of the books

http://www.heroplay.com/features/rules/marvel.php

Powers must be added using the hero guide book or by using your own imagination

Re: Marvel and DC Universes

Originally posted by Colossus

I know I started with the original Marvel (pre-Advanced Marvel) system from TSR. The system had a wonderful universe that I cared about, but once you’re over about 14 you discover the system fails to live up to the level of HERO (or even a modern d20 system).

Or rock/scissors/paper

Or tossing coins

Not under FASERIP.

Saga, quite possible with a good hand and/or Edge. That game was really volatile.

Particularly character creation. One of my players sat down in front of me to make a character just for kicks when I first picked up the SAGA version. He randomly built a character that was a more powerful mentalist than Professor X. Another player's character came out so feeble the term "superhero" was difficult to apply with a straight face.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Not under FASERIP.

Saga, quite possible with a good hand and/or Edge. That game was really volatile.

Particularly character creation. One of my players sat down in front of me to make a character just for kicks when I first picked up the SAGA version. He randomly built a character that was a more powerful mentalist than Professor X. Another player's character came out so feeble the term "superhero" was difficult to apply with a straight face.:rolleyes:

In SAGA or FASERIP?

Honestly, I think that Hero could benefit from one of the major superhero licenses. Funny thing is, my wife and I were discussing this before I came online ... we were talking about how cool a Batman Sourcebook would be for Champions. Get Jim Lee to do the cover, then have a chapter breakdown based on the benchmarks. For example:

Chapter One - Batman Year One/Two/Robin Year One

Chapter Two - Knightfall

Chapter Three - No Man's Land

Chapter Four - Batman Today

Chapter Five - Allies of the Bat

Chapter Six - Enemies of the Bat

Chapter Seven - Batman's Gotham City

Include maps of Gotham City, stats for the heavy hitters of the Batman comics and diverse stats if someone wanted to start their campaign at a different point in time :) Follow up with Superman, Wonder Woman, JLA, JSA, Titans, DCU and Elseworlds books ...